PDA

View Full Version : 6 cylinder Dmax

thechevyhdman
07-28-2003, 17:39
Just read today in the WSJ. GM has made a 6 cylinder Dmax engine for its SUV's. I have a feeling its like the 5.7 block missing 2 cylinders deal(4.3) But of course it also said...No guarantees it will be put into production.....
On a side note The VW Toaureg will have a diesel option to the tune of $10,000. It was in todays WSJ....Seems as if diesels are really catching on...... BO kidding Dicke Tracy(They caught on in my family 20 years ago) The VW V-10 diesel seemed pretty torquey......Of course their not aimed at people looking for economy........aimed at people looking for performance
Wait till Juice gets their hands on one a' those SOB's Then they'll see what performance is. :D
Of course this is probably old news, as Im a bit slow. Bill

TDIwyse
07-29-2003, 06:07
The VW 5.0 liter V10 bi-turbo is a sweet engine. 550 ft-lbs of torque and 313 hp, 0-60 times in the 6 seconds and almost 30 mpg from a stock engine. Be interesting to see what the European chip-tuners can do to that engine smile.gif

check out the road and track article about future US diesels:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-29-2003, 10:20
My wife has already decided that's are next new ride ;) .

Fuel economy at 30 mpg is pretty good but she said B.S. to fuel economy she wants it for the POWER !!! :eek:

Already asked if the Juice will fit on it. :eek:

I was told late 2003 early 2004 for the USA to see them.

Time will tell.

GMC :D

D-max Man
07-29-2003, 10:35
Chevyhdman,

You are correct. the V-6 Duramax looks like the V-8 but with 2 less cylinders. Most components are interchangable. I believe it is around 5.0 liters. I know that they are testing them and I have seen even one but I don't know what the expected production time is.

hoot
07-29-2003, 10:59
Oh My..... GM might beat Ford to market? This I gotta see.

drgracr
07-29-2003, 19:55
truth or not, but the word around work is Ford scrapped the v6 diesel

afp
07-29-2003, 20:31
I want one in a lifted S-10...............

Blaine

afp
07-29-2003, 20:32
I want one in a lifted S-10...............

Blaine

koolgt
07-29-2003, 22:49
well last i heard at work the plant was supposed to go down the road from dmax, and not put into production till 2005, for the burb, tahoe and othe full size SUV's not sure whats going on now though, cause all they talk about is the o4i duramax

Diesel Dog
07-30-2003, 00:24
I'll believe it when I see it. The General has dropped the ball so far in expanding the diesel market to SUV's again. It's been going on 5 model years already.
My opinion, by the time they do get around to it, if they ever do, they will have lost many of the customers (such as I).

D-max Man
07-30-2003, 06:01
The demand for diesel pickups has been much larger than GM anticipated. All of the production capacity at the D-Max plant is being used for the pick-ups. Sense this is a considerably larger market than the diesel SUV market, GM made a decision to supply the pick-ups first.

Although they realized that they would loose some customers in the SUV market, GM felt that they would loose more customers if they couldn't supply the pick-ups. There are very few options for a Diesel SUV from any manufacturer but all offer diesel pick-ups.

Every manufacturer has to weigh the potential losses for the decisions they make and then go with the one that is the smallest. This is exactly what GM did. I believe that it was the right choice.

The bottom line is $$ Profit $$.

hoot
07-30-2003, 06:49
I remember way back they said the Dmax facility was designed in a modular fashion the could be expanded fairly easily. Guess they decided that keeping the supply low was more profitable.

koolgt
07-30-2003, 08:45
Originally posted by hoot:
I remember way back they said the Dmax facility was designed in a modular fashion the could be expanded fairly easily. Guess they decided that keeping the supply low was more profitable. yeah we can expand, but right now if u looked inside, we are packed solid with lines machines and everything else, that have majorly expanded inside, the plant, they can expand outside, but ur talking about a whole other plant, and they do have plans on the old harrison radiator plant, which is supposedly were the v6 diesel is going, which will almost be next door, the industrial wastewater plant will seperate us, but just give em some time, our plant is still majorly in the hole in talking 150 million+ in the hole, so we are still trying to get ourselves paid off, then we can look at expanding and more

hoot
07-30-2003, 08:51
You have a great cafeteria that's for sure. ;)

koolgt
07-30-2003, 10:18
Originally posted by hoot:
You have a great cafeteria that's for sure. ;) yeah i know, they got a lil bit of everything, but im still trying to talk them into doing a direct withdraw from my paycheck, instead of using the credit card lol

AlaskaDmax
07-31-2003, 16:11
Correct me if I am wrong, but it was discussed here about a year and a half ago, or so, that DMAX was developing a 4 banger diesel to go into the Izusu Rodeo...they were initially looking at around 40 mpg for the finished product.
Maybe I read it in an article somewhere else, but I think it was here, where the intelligence runs rampant!!!

That would be sweet if it were to come to fruition.

koolgt
08-01-2003, 01:39
Originally posted by AlaskaDmax:
Correct me if I am wrong, but it was discussed here about a year and a half ago, or so, that DMAX was developing a 4 banger diesel to go into the Izusu Rodeo...they were initially looking at around 40 mpg for the finished product.
Maybe I read it in an article somewhere else, but I think it was here, where the intelligence runs rampant!!!

That would be sweet if it were to come to fruition. I have not heard anything about that around the plant, as far as i know there gonna do the V6 and V8 and thats it

WillowCreekStable
08-01-2003, 07:27
A number of people on the forum have expressed an interest in a S-10 sized truck with a small high mileage diesel. I drive over 100 mile per day and would certainly be interested in such a vehicle. Well Isuzu has that truck. This truck shares engineering if not the platform of the upcoming Colorado/Canyon S-10 replacement, and is marketed in Thailand as the Dmax. It has a 3.0 DI Turbo engine.

So, how do we convince GM we need this engine in a mid-sized pickup that we can buy here in North America?

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/pickup/dmax.html

[ 08-01-2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: WillowCreekStable ]

tswartos
08-01-2003, 10:27
tell them we dont want it and that it'll be highly profitable...psyche

moondoggie
08-01-2003, 12:39
Good Day!

Like I said in another forum, I want a diesel Sub, YOU want a diesel Sub, but very few in the general public do. (Heck, I want one with a diesel V6 & one with a DMax!) When I talk to folks with Sub's, the subject of mpg virtually NEVER comes up - I don't think they care.

If GM offered a Sub with a diesel engine that couldn't be heard any more than a gas, & had all the advantages a powerful diesel has, & didn't add mega-thousands of $ to the price, then these folks would order one. They are NOT going to like it the 1st time they fuel up & wind up smelling like diesel, either. (Personally, I think it's the perfume of choice.)

As for beating Ford to market, that would be awesome, but I'd rather they do less "road engineering" with our vehicles than they do. Please remember, there are nothing but GM products in my driveway. I just think our favorite mfg. does too much testing after product release.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

'82 6.2 1500 4X4 1/2T pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, bone stock, 335K+, "In Rust We Trust"
'89 6.2 4X4 1/2T pickup, bone stock, 145K+
'95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 heavy 3/4T pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, 180K +
'95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, 200K +

[ 08-01-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: moondoggie ]

AlaskaDmax
08-01-2003, 14:53
Koolgt,

Can't remember where I read it.
Might have been in regard to one of the plants in Japan????

koolgt
08-03-2003, 07:39
Originally posted by AlaskaDmax:
Koolgt,

Can't remember where I read it.
Might have been in regard to one of the plants in Japan???? they actually just came out with a interesting section in our newsletter friday, it was talking about diesel engines, and it talked about how GM was making a v6 diesel, it was in experimental stages, and in some test vehicles, but thats all it really said