PDA

View Full Version : Engine full of diesel

newtodiesel
10-30-2003, 20:58
I am despately looking for some help. For the last 5 weeks I have driven my 2002 Silverado a total of 4 days. The reason; My engine fills with diesel fuel and then pumps it out behind the truck. The dealership has selectively replaced injectors that were found to be leaking. But each time I pick up the truck it again fills with diesel with 24 hours. The truck has 53000 miles on it. There is very little rust proofing left on the truck, it now squeaks, smells like it has been saturated with diesel, and the tranmission is now starting to shift erratically. I have followed a very strict maintenance schedule. 3.5k for each oil change, 10k for fuel and air filter.

A few questions:

1. I estimate the truck has been driven ~3000 miles with pure diesel fuel in the crankcase. I cannot see how the engine will last with this being the case. Am I wrong to assume this?

2. I originally asked GM to extend the warranty, but have since requested that they buy the truck back. They are considering the request. Has anyone else had success in a buyback or trade in?

3. If they reject the buyback I am consider two other options, either request that the engine is replaced with a 2004 model (injectors outside the valve covers; Don;t know if this is even possible), or contacting a lemon law attorney. Any comments?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Max Power
10-30-2003, 21:04
MICHIGAN Lemon Law Text What if the Lemon Law Does Not Apply?
QUALIFICATION: Total of 4 unsuccessful repairs within 2 years from the date of the first unsuccessful repair or 30 calendar days within shorter of 1 year or warranty.
NOTIFICATION/TRIGGER: Certified mail notice, return receipt requested, to manufacturer who has 5 business days to repair after delivery. State has certified guidelines for arbitration. Law specifically applies to leased vehicles.

http://www.lemonaide.com/havealemon.htm

The lemon law might not cover you because your truck is a 3/4 ton. Not sure though.

bd1028
10-31-2003, 13:16
just took my in to the service today think i have the same problem.they think it is an internal fuel injection problem possibly with fuel return lines i will keep you posted

Brian
02 chevy
2500 ext
duramax
73000 miles

DinoMax
10-31-2003, 16:52
newtodiesel, sorry to hear about your problems :( Sounds like if they've already done injectors, it's probably in the return lines. Do you know if they checked balance rates AND rail pressure after each injector replaced? I would be pushing hard for a new motor. That much fuel in the crankcase has had to caused some serious damage. Don't think you'll get the new, updated motor if they go that route, but new is new. Hope it all gets worked out, and keep us posted. Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

dmaxalliTech
11-01-2003, 19:49
New TO DIesel.. Where is North Ville? Why dont you make the drive to Grand Rapids and get that bugger fixed ? Quit playing around with incompetant dealers and lets get this fixed, Email me.
Eric

newtodiesel
11-03-2003, 14:22
Thanks for the responses. After initial discussions they are now declining the buyback and told me that they have been instructed by the GM rep for the dealership to replace ALL of the injectors. dmaxalliTech thanks for the offer, Grand Rapids is several hours from Northville so I would hesitate driving that far until I know there would be oil in the crank case for more than 1 hour. I assume replacing all of the injectors is not going to address the return lines.? I have asked to meet with the dealership rep.

If I do have to keep the truck I guess there is no way to know how much damage the lack of oil has caused...

BlueOx03
11-03-2003, 15:17
Some things to think about....
It doesn't seem as if your dealer's service department, like many others, is very familiar with the d-max. If driving it to Eric's is out, what about borrowing/renting a flat bed and hauling it down. Maybe someone on here could haul you down. How about taking a 24-hr test drive?

As far as finding out about engine damage, I'd get some oil samples analyzed ASAP. Even if you don't have a baseline from prior to the bad injectors, it'll give you an idea if anything is out of spec. If you have analysis showing things out of spec now and the engine suffers serious problems later, it should help you get it replaced.

Hope to help,
Ox

dmaxalliTech
11-03-2003, 18:43
I just fixed one that had 15 quarts of oil/fuel in crankcase. had about 300 miles that way, was driven up from Chicago to have me work on it, oil anylysis comes up clean, was done by AVlube.
Eric

DA_MAXX
11-03-2003, 19:40
dmaxallitech,

What was the problems with the truck you recently fixed? It would be nice to know the problem areas are, steer the dealer/mech in the right direction.

I wish there were more skillful techs such as yourself !!

dmaxalliTech
11-04-2003, 06:03
This one in particular had a no4 injector leaking.

BlueOx03
11-04-2003, 09:13
While diesel in the crankcase isn't as bad as gasoline or coolant, it's not the best thing to have in there either. The biggest factor is how much diesel is in there. Then, how long it has been in there. The more the oil is thinned out and the longer it's thinned out, the more likely damage is to occur.
While there are tests that are done after a failed injector replacement to check other damaged fuel system components, I wonder if compression tests are done. If a cylinder is flooded and the engine tries to compress it, it could damage the rings and possibly the piston, wrist pin and/or rod. There is also the possibility of damage to the head, valves, and head gasket. I've seen diesels with damaged rings and head gaskets due to failed injectors and I know a guy with a dmax that bent a rod when an injector flooded a cylinder. Testing the compression would be an easy way to check for mechanical damage to the engine.

Just some thoughts,

Ox