PDA

View Full Version : Yet another post on changing OE fuel filter

roegs
04-12-2003, 20:13
Took a peek at the filter on my '03 Duramax this afternoon, and things look pretty tight for getting it out the top. Although I don't need to change mine yet (not many miles yet), I'm putting mud flaps on the front wheels, and will mount them differently if I have to remove the wheel liner. From reading previous posts, there seems to be 4 ways to change the filter. I'd be interested in how some other owners of '03's and '02's are changing theirs.

The 4 ways I'm aware of are:

1. From the top (this seems impossible!)
2. Remove the battery
3. Remove the wheel liner
4. Loosen from the top, and reach under the wheel liner (pulling it back) to remove the filter.

Have I missed any?

[ 04-12-2003: Message edited by: roegs ]</p>

txguppy
04-13-2003, 00:43
Hey roegs, I recently changed a friends 03 Chevy filter thru the top. I had to squeeze it in and out of her.......(oops got carried away there) Anyhoo the filter will squeeze between the A/C line and the air inlet tube if the GMC is the same as the Chevy. Just make sure the gasket stays put when re-installing the filter
Good luck,

txguppy

JEBar
04-13-2003, 06:56
#2 Remove the battery .... have tried other ways but like this one the best .... Jim

jbplock
04-13-2003, 08:15
Yesterday, I replaced all the plastic fasteners that hold the wheel liner with RIV-NUTS and

orange2
04-13-2003, 09:18
I can't believe you guys remove the battery or fenderliner to get at the filter, just do it from the top, it is not a big deal, I would hate to hear how some of you guys do something that is actually hard to do.

NWDmax
04-13-2003, 13:12
As a child my dad taught us that if you have a comment ask yourself "are you a part of the problem or part of the solution".If you were part of the problem you kept your mouth shut.If you had something positive to add then you could help solve the issue.
Which are you?
My personal experience on changing fuel filters is its a PIA to do from above but beats pulling batteries and wheelwell liners.
Whatever method you choose each to his own.
smile.gif

orange2
04-13-2003, 15:32
Whatever fella. If its that hard for you to see it is easier to just do it from the top than screw around with other stuff, have at it. Like I said, do it from the top. When I first read about this I hadn't got my truck yet and i was telling my dad what a bitch it supposedly was, then i got the truck and opened the hood and we both justed laughed. Big challenge, hahaha.

Idle_Chatter
04-13-2003, 15:41
Orange2, it depends on the year of your truck, too. I have an '01. Apparently the '02s and up have different A/C line routing and are really a bear to attack from above. I've done 3 filter swaps now (at 15K miles each). The first 2 were done by removing the liner, which really makes it an accessible and "safe" (less danger of misaligned gaskets, contamination knocked into the filter, stuff caught on a seating surface, etc.) process. I've also had my liner out for the installation of my EGT pyrometer. I did my last filter from above with my "road tools" just as a precaution in case I need to do it that way sometime. It was a lot more difficult to do - even in a garage with good light. I was also worried about all of the "dangers" listed above and checked carefully for problems after priming and starting. Even with plastic fasteners the liner is about 15 minutes work each way on the in/out - less than 10 with rivet nuts and real fasteners.

orange2
04-13-2003, 15:47
I was starting to think that also, I have an 01 and it is easy, so the 02 and 03's have to be different. I have small hands and forearms but there is enuff room for me. I know a guy with a 02 and i am going to have to go look at it. For sure something is routed different for guys to have to take a battery out or fenderliner. Anyone here had both? Has to be a difference. Since the 03's have a egr maybe that neccisated a change.

Me4OSU
04-13-2003, 16:10
I've got an '02 and its pretty darn simple to me. Everything is pretty straight forward, you just have to dodge a couple of lines.

NJDMAX
04-13-2003, 16:27
I have a 2002 all I do is loosen it from the top(no battery removal), put a plastic bag around it,finish unscrewing it,place down on the frame rail,reach through the wheel well liner(without removing it, it flexes out of the way)slide the filter out make sure you don't spill fuel on frame rail. Then install it the same way. It took me about 15mins. the first time. I'm do to replace it again this week.

Dawg
04-13-2003, 16:43
I complete my fuel filter change exactly like NJDMax. No problems. I'm 6'6" so reaching through the wheel well is no problem!! ;)

Searay90
04-16-2003, 10:37
I think that the AC rerouting happened sometime during the 2002 production run. I for one could find absolutely no way to remove my fuel filter from the top on my 2002 D/A. I took the fender liner out and it was a breeze....... But I wouldn't want to have to do that on the road, so I will try the battery removal method next time.

BTW, my truck was built in March of 02, so that was about half way into the 2002 production build.

sonofagun
04-16-2003, 11:10
roegs,

I use a strap filter wrench that you attach a 3/8 socket wrench extension to and then use the socket wrench to torque the filter off. I disconnect the wiring, strap on the filter wrench and out she comes. I have done this 4 times so far. It takes me 15 minutes max to do the job. I don't spill any fuel and the filter comes out the top quite easily.

Good luck,
Bob

chuntag95
04-16-2003, 13:26
I do it like son of a gun. The strap wrench makes a big difference. I did pull the liner to put in EGT and replaced with RIV-NUTS and 1/4"-20 SS Bolts and washers. I figure 2 minutes tops with a 10 mm socket and my battery drill. :D

HD-Nate
04-16-2003, 15:12
I can't believe you guys remove the battery or fenderliner to get at the filter, just do it from the top, it is not a big deal, I would hate to hear how some of you guys do something that is actually hard to do.

Geez buddy, walk in someone elses shoes! I have large hands and forarms and there is no way in h*ll I can get my arm in there. I had the "Water in fuel" light come on just after I picked her up. By the time I got my hand and arm in from the top to drain the filter, my forearm was bleeding from being scratched up.

Someone needs to invent a door or flap in the fenderwell to access this poorly placed maintance item.

Lone Eagle
04-16-2003, 20:52
I pulled the battery to change my filter the first time because it didn't look like it would come up through the A/C lines and the handle on my metal filter wrench was quite long. I have a wrench with a swivel handle now so I tried it from the top this time. It came up through the top but I had to move the A/C lines a little. The lines scraped paint off the filter going back in and on to the seal. Lucky to spot it and cleaned it off. If you carry a filter with you don't forget the Zip Loc bag. Later! Lone Eagle

Jomar
04-16-2003, 21:55
roegs; if there`s any dought about it coming out the top, use #4 in your list. It`s very simple, just don`t forget to disconnect the wire comming off the bottom of the filter before unscrewing the filter.

Jomar

stutzismydog
04-16-2003, 23:50
ROEGS~
I am with you on our dilemma about how to change the dang fuel filter on our 03 Duramax. I only have 6000 miles at present so the time to change is coming, but after careful review of the filter removal work area, I don't look forward to it.
I have to question this whole subject about GM's fuel filters for our Duramax Diesels...The apparent lack of good maintenance engineering quality control by GM, screams that they SCREWED UP when they got involved in the placement of the filter in the first place.There has been Hundreds of posts on this forum that has questioned the effectiveness of the OEM 2 micron fuel filter, more hundreds of posts about adding a second PRE or POST-OEM filter in a multitude of locations. Now we are plagued with air bubbles in the fuel along with 10 to 15 micron particulates that could possibly cause cavitation that is sand blasting our injectors.
It appearers that the all important quest to solve the fuel filter placement/filter madia problem will continue until some junk yard mechanic stumbles onto THE solution that GM's should have taken care of on our $40.000+ rigs in the first place.This quest to solve the problem is the only way to guarantee that the darn thing will last 10 miles past the 100,000 mile warranty period.
I just wish that the darn filter was easy to remove and change as it should be, so that I could just set back and see what happens after all of this COLLECTIVE EFFORT is expended to solve the........Problem.

mackin
04-17-2003, 04:23
" It appearers that the all important quest to solve the fuel filter placement/filter madia problem will continue until some junk yard mechanic stumbles onto THE solution that GM's should have taken care of on our $40.000+ rigs in the first place."

Now I'll bet JK has been called alot of names in his life but I'll bet this one is new ..... ROTFLMAO !!!!! tongue.gif

Just kidding ,just kidding ...... Before you guys jump on my back like I'm wearing laundry on my head ,it's just Mr Bubbles ,and company has been busy trying to solve this issue....
Just looking a the lighter side of things..... Just couldn't resist,it's in fun gents, only.... John's a smart dude,on these matters.....

Where and he!! is SOCALDMAX ,mia ??? I'm starting to mis that dude ....

MAC
:D :D :D

[ 04-17-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

JMJORDAN
04-18-2003, 12:07
2# remove battery works the best for me!

Tried from top but no way to get new filter in. I have small hands an forearms but filter would not fit down thru.

Removing inner fender is a pain. I live on a dirt road so the rivets give me trouble. Also it is awful easy to get dirt in filter when changing this way. In the winter when it is all covered in snow, ice, and road salt I would not think of tring to remove inner fender

mike.morris
04-18-2003, 14:00
I have been staying up on all of these discussions about the filters etc and my eyes and head hurt after blasting through every thread. Someone mentioned a door or access panel rather than having to remove the fender liner completely. I thought this would be a very viable solution to the problem. This is in the theory stages, but if a new fender liner is cheap enough, buy one, cut out the size you need to perform the service, and using the new liner, cut out a larger section from the same area and fasten this larger piece over the cut out on the truck. Hinged or some other quick access method.

Just a thought. Anyone know how much the fender liner costs?

Tsckey
04-18-2003, 15:09
After scoping out the layout from the top, I decided there was too much plumbing to bump into and either knock some crap into the new filter or drop it completely. So, I went in from the side. The fender liner comes down easily and I've not had to replace any of the stock fasteners, yet. The rivnut idea sounds good, though.

orange2
04-18-2003, 15:24
All theproblems are guys with 02 and 03 trucks so it has to be arouting difference for the ac or sumthing. I also have a 6 speed so maybe that makes a difference as I have no cooler lines going forward. All I know is I can easily get to the filter from the top and it is very easy, the filter is in plain sight. All I know is a fella should not have to take a battery out or loosen a fenderliner to get at a filter. Gm should have put the dam filter somewhere else.

Tsckey
04-18-2003, 16:19
Orange2,

I couldn't agree more. When a piece is as critical to the integrity of the fuel system as these filters are, the damn things should be right out there in the open where you can get at them without giving them a second thought.

TC

FirstDiesel
04-18-2003, 16:21
I installed RivetNuts when I removed the fender liner to install my Mega Filter. 12 bucks for the tool and the nuts and another 3-4 bucks for the screws and the hardware. I went with SS. Great investment. Takes about 5 minutes to R&R the liner now. I've always hated those type clips!!

SoCalDMAX
04-18-2003, 16:55
Quote: "Where and he!! is SOCALDMAX ,mia ??? I'm starting to mis that dude ...."

Hey Mac! Nice to know somebody misses me, haha.

Well, I do mine from under the fender liner, but that's cuz I'm so short, I can't even see over the fender... ;)

Mac keep me posted when you make it out to CA to corrupt your brother-in-law, I'll swing by for a few drinks. I'll start saving up for bail money. :D

Regards, Steve

[ 04-18-2003: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

et
04-18-2003, 17:34
FirstDiesel,

Where did you get such a good price on the Rivet Nut Tool and supplies?

FirstDiesel
04-18-2003, 17:58
Look here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1210

I actually bought mine at the local store. Will this tool last forever?? NAH but it is fine for the price and worked surprisingly well.

JMJORDAN
04-18-2003, 18:08
Orange2
I also have a six speed but the AC lines are the problem in my 02.

Mike.Morris
Your idea is good! I have to take truck to dealer monday to get the CD player replaced. I will check on inner fender price.

AlanL
04-21-2003, 08:51
I did #4 yesterday (before reading this topic) and it was pretty simple. Turning the wheels all the way to the right made it easier. smile.gif

-Al

JMJORDAN
04-22-2003, 18:04
Mike.Morris
The inner fender costs $35 and some change. Mine is own the way.