PDA

View Full Version : Anybody towing with Superchips

cmadmaxman
07-26-2003, 09:50
I see that Superchips has a programer now P/N 2705. Has anyone used this, and would like to know more about towing with it. That is about all that we do with our truck, so 1/4 mile run times are not important! Just improved pulling while on the super slab! Weighing in at 17,000+. (with the bikes in the trailer)
Thanks for any info.

Maverick
07-26-2003, 12:47
http://www.super-chip.com/chips/

Any vendors of TDP sell this unit?

Looks good. Under $300 bucks too. I may have to try one. Says it does diagnostics also.

3 Power levels
R55 hp & 90 ft/lb torque
70 hp & 120 Ft/lb torque
95 hp & 155 ft/lb torque
Unit will raise SPEED LIMITER
Adjusts for different tire size or gear change
Tow Safe
Hi Perf No Towing
Hi-Perf Towing up to 6000 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Looks like the Edge controller is avaliable now. They got the Juice on sale and if you order a controller with it, its less than $100 more.
Looks like a good deal for those wanting the Edge controller.

[ 07-26-2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Maverick ]

cmadmaxman
07-26-2003, 14:37
When I saw the price and what it does, might be worth a try. I know it don't have the :eek: juice has but might be enough for what I need. I might try one out when we go up for HD's 100th. They will take it back if not :D in 30 days. Just would like to see if anyone has tried it yet! I saw early on that they wanting beta testers, but could not find any results from that.

gardnerteam
07-26-2003, 18:30
I emailed Superchips regarding what this thing would diagnose - and received the following reply:
"It will read all GM diagnostic codes (DTC's). It has the ability to reset the codes back to normal."
So, if it will read all GM diagnostic codes, and reset, it seems thing thing is a bargain. Kennedy or someone who is in the know - please comment as to the value for diagnostic purposes. I was going to buy a Tech 2 to have with me in Mexico for diagnostic in case of problems (re: the injector scare), but if this this will work - $$300 beats $2700. So would somebody please clue me. Thanks

Sandaholic
07-26-2003, 20:17
Of course this comes out today! I just bought a Hypertech programmer yesterday, but have yet to intall it. I went with the hypertech b/c of the ability to change tire size and the price. The little extra power was just a bonus. I planned on setting it on power level 1 and leaving it there. Now that the Superchip is out, that all changes. It appears to do everything the hypertech does and more. Also its cheaper! Anyone use it yet? I am worried about having the first run of the chips. Anyone seen a powercurve chart from superchips? Would you return the hypertech for the superchip?

mackin
07-26-2003, 21:14
Seen one ran on a Dyno today ..... Three tunes ...... Very promising except fell off on the performance tune,didn't get it done ..... Strong puller for towing ..... Put down some decent numbers, spanked the Predator down low for advertised numbers ..... Not bad ,not bad at all,worth consideration .....

Mac

Bush Pilot
07-26-2003, 23:04
Mackin,

What kind of numbers did the Predator put down. I have one but still have not seen any thing in hard copy. I only use it for towing.

Sandaholic
07-26-2003, 23:21
mackin, did you see any real # on the superchip? How would you compare the power to the hypertech?

Anyone have a couple hundred miles on it yet? Throw an codes?

mackin
07-27-2003, 08:14
I don't have the exact numbers ( I couldn't keep track my head was gonna explode) but,the first two lower tunes put down better numbers then advertised ... The final Performance tune gained nothing 1 HP lost couple torque #'s too.....I'm sure it will get worked out,I'd imagine .....Don't think it was dyno error,pretty straight forward runs in all three tunes ... Really need to see a graph to compare to Hypertech,never seen one in real life,I don't have them,they left with Ted ....I didn't pay to much attention to it ...

Smoked but not excessive ....

A new member here used his truck as a seed perhaps he has the numbers ??? He went for a spin says it ran powerfull ,no codes ....

Mac

GMCTRUCK
07-27-2003, 10:12
On a bone stock truck Superchip on level 1 which is supposed to be 40hp added 65hp at the tires. Second level added 85hp and 3rd level added only 2hp to level 2 to a total of 87hp above stock at the tires but lost a couple lb-ft of torque to level 2. Compared to the Predator which in the 40hp mode added 20hp above stock last time we ran.

Maverick
07-27-2003, 11:27
Impressive numbers but in the wrong spot. I could get EGT's in trouble towing on level 2 juice. Thats in the 65 hp range....correct? Superchips has that for the #1 tune??? Thats alittle hot I think for a safe tow tune.

DMAX Daddy
07-27-2003, 11:54
Hmm, The Super Chips page has the Edge Juice Controller. :confused: :confused:

They taking pre-orders or what? I check JK's web page before and after wrok to see if its there yet. :D

cmadmaxman
07-27-2003, 14:42
Maverick I agree with it being to hot in 1st and 2nd setting. GMCTRUCK, do you remember where the tork was in these settings. It sounds like they have something wrong with their high setting. There site also said that the tork and hp is applied thru the range of throtle, not just at WOT. Did it feal like it? At supperchips.com they don't go into much detail.

cmadmaxman
07-28-2003, 15:32
Just got some info back from Superchips. I asked them over to the forum. Here is their reply:

We do make changes to the trans on many of our products, but not on the Duramax at this time.

Todate, we've not had much feedback on the 2705. Seriously, we seldom hear from happy customers. It's normally the ones that are not happy that call us.

One thing you mention on the forum is tire adjustment. The 2705 will NOT adjust for tire height or gear changes. Sorry. Everything else look acurate.
Still trying to get dyno plots out of engineering to post on the webpage.

I also asked if it could read codes from my 02 S-10 and our 92 Bonie SSEi:

DTCs: Yes, the 2705 will read codes in the Bonie and S-10.

Could be something to try out?!

[ 07-29-2003, 05:05 AM: Message edited by: cmadmaxman ]

brevam
07-28-2003, 21:55
Thanks to all who organized the dyno-run, last weekend. I met a lot of great people with a lot of great ideas.

My truck was used as a test platform for the Super Chip.
My truck stock, (D/A), got 243.6 HP at 3100 rpms and the max torque was 414.1 ft-lbs at 3100 rpms.

The first level the truck got 308.2 hp. For torque the truck got 414.1 ft-lbs starting at 2400 rpms to 3100 rpms.

The second level the truck got 327.8 hp. For torque the truck go 577.6 ft-lbs starting at 2600 rpms to about 2900 rpms. The torque dropped to about 570 ft-lbs from 2900 rpms to 3100 rpms.

The third level appeared to be a bit of a disapointment. But I don't know the numbers.

I brought the charts home and will scan them and send them to anyone who might be interested.

In all cases the hp was a steady climb.

The driving sensation was incredible. I especially liked the tightness of the shifting.

My primary interest is for towing purposes. I was assured that the first level was safe. The technicians also felt that because my trailer was only 5200 lbs that the second level should be fine. I suspect that I could pull with the first program and if I wanted to pull with the second program I would probably want to put gauges in.

The clincher for me was that after my 10 year old daughter saw and inhaled rubberized smoke from various demonstrations of raw power: she wants the Super Chip. She's hooked.

Thanks again to all.
R
Bruce

brevam@hotmail.com

Maverick
07-28-2003, 22:31
brevam,
cmadmaxman stated it does NOT have the ability to change tire size. Is this correct? I'm looking for a cheap way to do this. Looking back at the Pred. again.

cmadmaxman
07-29-2003, 05:13
brevam, I would like to have a copy if you could please.

If I see it right, on level one there is no increase in ft lbs, it just comes in sooner?

Thanks for the real time info.

cbwood72@bellsouth.net

Maverick, that is what the tech replied! Sounds like you can change the speed limiter though.

brevam
07-29-2003, 07:51
OOPS....I gave you the wrong info for the first setting. It should read: The first level the truck got 308.2 hp. For torque the truck got 526.9ft-lbs starting at 2400 rpms to 3100 rpms.

Also I believe that it will not change any parameters for tire size. However someone at the meet said that there was an inexpensive product out there that is a set of dip switches. Apparently easy to install.

R
Bruce

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-29-2003, 10:10
Originally posted by GMC-2002-Dmax:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Maverick:
brevam,
cmadmaxman stated it does NOT have the ability to change tire size. Is this correct? I'm looking for a cheap way to do this. Looking back at the Pred. again. Maverick,

The Predator works decent for the speed limit increase and the tire size - gear ratio adjustability :D .

As for the scan tool it works good, check on things and reset codes. In all it's worth the $$$$ if you want those features. Whether or not the other tuners are better I can't say. :confused:

I have not towed with it but it does seem to push EGT's a little higher than I would expect.

All I wanted was tire adjustment and top speed limiter moved to 125 mph. I have put it back to stock tune.

Good Luck,

GMC </font>[/QUOTE]

Sandaholic
07-29-2003, 12:03
Just to confirm what cmadmaxman posted about the ability to adjust tire size and gear ratio.

Reply from email to superchips, " Sorry, but presently the 2705 does not adjust for tire size or gear changes ."

Also when asked for a copy of hp/torque curves, their reply was, " Sorry, but to date I have none to send. We were promised to have them by July 11th, but to date have not recieved them."

So with all this being said, the hypertech is still the cheapest was to change tire size and get slight power boost

Silver Bullet
07-29-2003, 12:07
FYI...

I just called 2-D out of curiousity...the lady I spoke with said they are taking pre-orders for the Edge Contoller which is due out in mid-August. She also said if your Juice is not "controller ready" it will have to be sent in to Edge to be retrofitted to allow the controller to plug in...