PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tips

DA_MAXX
10-24-2003, 19:54
First winter with first DMax. I have a few questions.

Trippin
10-24-2003, 19:57
Winter?????

DA_MAXX
10-24-2003, 20:00
Darn puter. It posted before I asked my questions.

1. In gassers u keep the tank above 1/2 to keep water from condensating. What precautions are needed for diesels? already use additive, power service, diesel service.

2. How long do you have to warm a dmax before driving? I drive 38 miles one-way to work.

3. How cold before you use the block heater ?
I'm not to concern about starting, more concern about having to let the truck run for 10-15 minutes before I head down the road. The heater may save me time.

What other cold weather steps are needed? Have 03/Chev/D-A, w/13500 miles. It's only 6 months old (young).

Thanks,

DA_MAXX
10-24-2003, 20:01
Trippin,

Really meant, first winter "coming". Just asking questions before it arrives. Just trying to stay ahead of the game.

Trippin
10-24-2003, 21:02
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist being a smart a$$. Here in Southern California we don't have "real" winters.

mackin
10-25-2003, 02:01
DA_MAXX

Use the cold front when the temps are at or under thirty degrees .... It will warm up faster .....I only use the top portion easy to remove if needed also ...I use the block heater at 20 and below .....

I let mine idle for less then 5min's (on high idle after volt meter comes up first stage then second for a minute or less ) and I drive it moderately until the temp comes up ... Diesel don't generate a lot of heat idling ... You might want to consider installing high idle I've mentioned .... There is plenty of info here on the subject try a search ...

Use an additive NON-Alcohol as it can ruin the seals and O-ring in the fuel system, for easier starts ...

Drive slow watch the Allison grade breaking on slippery terrain ...

If you get crusted snow and ICE and it's 20 degrees and wind blowing 20 MPH,get up early and start your truck let her run .... You might also consider remote start if you don't want your tootsie to get cold .... ;) The block heater will help in this case also ...

Unplug any power enhancements you may have .... Can you say four wheel burnout's at 70 MPH

heartbeatcanada
10-25-2003, 04:07
This isn't just for the dmax, but i lift my wipers if i know its suppose to snow or freeze rain, wipers won't tear or freeze up as easy. I also put rainway washer fluid in my resevoir, helps the wipers from building up with snow and ice when driving(helps when i plow, i ussually ended up with my wiper arm looking like a chunk of 2x8). Obviously the block heater makes the starts easier on the truck, though i didn't use it once last winter(don't know why) and we had a very cold winter(-20 to -30 celcius)for a month or 2 and the truck started no problem, just a little slow on the turn over twice. Year before used the block heater every day and it started as if it was summer time, just put it on a timer and had it come on 2 hours before i was gonna start. Oh ya and if ya got heated leather, then hit the button when you go out and start, time you get in, tho the truck isn't blowing warm air your seat is toasty warm. Upper bra isn't a bad idea either, like mackin said. Later Jeremy smile.gif

letsgo
10-25-2003, 15:30
I have a 120vac in truck fan heater set at 750 watts that hangs between the two front seat head rests. the plug is on a timer that is set to turn on 2hr before leaving in the morning, the truck inside is warm the ice on the windshield is unstuck, and no the windshield wont crack. Plus I use the block heater and FPPF additives at every fill up.

good luck

DA_MAXX
10-28-2003, 22:39
Thanks for all the replies.

So it seems that you don't have to keep the fuel tank over half full, as long as you use additives?

jbplock
10-29-2003, 02:09
Originally posted by DA_MAXX:
So it seems that you don't have to keep the fuel tank over half full, as long as you use additives? DA_MAXX,

In addition to using a good additive I think it's still good practice (IMHO) to keep the tank half full (year round) for at least two reasons.
1. Less chance of tank condensation and subsequent water added to the fuel – especially when the truck is sitting for several days. The fuel is warm when you shut down so air above the fuel will also be warm. As the air above the fuel cools, condensation of water in the air can form in the tank. (If I'm not going to be driving my truck for a few days I always try to keep it full)
2. Prevents fuel form getting to hot. Since the fuel is used to cool the FICM, the more fuel in the tank the bigger the heat sink.

smile.gif

deerhunter7
11-02-2003, 10:29
Put in a Espar Engine Pre- Heater and you can warm the engine up anyplace because you don't need a plug in . Runs on 12 volt aand fueled by Diesel. Has a 7 Day 24 hour timer so you can have it fire up and have a warm engine when ever you decide.Mines been used 2 winters now and is great to go out to a warm truck. It does not heat the oil in the pan but since your engine is 165 degrees as soon as you start it oil flows through a warm engine and warms fast. I do not agree with a high idle to warm a engine. Warming a engine this way is putting a lot of premature wear on an engine.Metals contract when they are cooled and expand when heated .Simple example . To put on a new bearing on an axel you put the axel in the freezer for a while , put the bearing in boiling oil . The bearing was then put on the axel and slid down in place. Once they were the same temp. It was tight. From what I know for longivity off your engine , preheat before starting...

More Power
11-02-2003, 13:12
Cold weather tips:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/start.htm

MP

flhrciblueice
11-08-2003, 12:49
MP,
When I click on the link, it asks me to sign in again. However, when I enter my sign in info, the system does not accept my sign in. Can you help me out? tia

Hound
11-08-2003, 15:14
flhrciblueice, It appears that the article that the link takes you to is for paying members only. If you are a paying member then something else may be hosed.

Bridgeman
11-08-2003, 19:34
In using the coldfront, I have found that it affects the outside thermometer display giving it a false reading. Is there anyway to avoid this with the coldfront?

Burner
11-09-2003, 10:31
The sensor thing is on the Drivers side just behind the grille. I would unmount it and place it in a nook somewhere around one of the turn signals. I'm just guessing here... the placement may be affected by the lamps heat? Just find an "open-Air" spot where the sensor will get some moving fresh air.

Burner========>>>>>>> :D

flhrciblueice
11-09-2003, 12:24
Originally posted by Hound:
flhrciblueice, It appears that the article that the link takes you to is for paying members only. If you are a paying member then something else may be hosed. I am a paying member.