PDA

View Full Version : EGT's with Hypertech

maxdout
10-24-2003, 06:04
Does anyone with a Hypertech have any EGT numbers off their pyrometer? I've been planning on a Quad towing, but everyone I talk to that has Hypertech loves it, not to mention it's $100 less expensive. I know it doesn't have all the features, but most of them don't matter to me anyway.

Thanks in advance,

David Walker

maxdout
10-27-2003, 06:58
Anyone???????

NETMINDER
10-27-2003, 10:12
It's kind'a a supjective question. What setting? what kinda load? What speed. Give us some more info.

I had a Hypertech and never had a problem

cdhd2001
10-27-2003, 10:47
Don't feel leftout. I have the Superchip tuner ($295 shipped) and seem to be a "red-headed stepchild" too!

If it isn't Juice or Quad, then nobody wants to play. ;) tongue.gif

maxdout
10-27-2003, 14:50
Anything at any settings. I don't have one yet, just looking for information before I make a purchase. The Chevy dealer here in town is selling and installing programming for $385. I'm not falling for that deal, but everyone I've talked to that has the Hypertech loves it. I drove one of the trucks a couple of weeks ago, and it's unbelievable how it runs. It's like a whole different animal.

David Walker

NETMINDER
10-28-2003, 05:16
For the money I liked mine to but wish I would'a tried the Juice first cause there is relly no comparision. As far as the $385 - there a web sites selling them for about $315 - $325. For the money though - well worth it.

maxdout
10-30-2003, 07:45
Thanks NETMINDER, but I'd still like to see some real numbers people are seeing. EGT's are a huge part of the life of these trucks and I need alot of miles from mine. I'm not looking for the hottest power trick out there, just a little kick in the tail to wake it up. More importantly, better fuel mileage. But the number 1 issue with me is longevity. I've found Hypertech on the web for as low as $295. I plan on a Banks exhaust sometime in the near future to compliment the programmer and I already have a UNI filter.

maxdout

NETMINDER
10-30-2003, 09:49
What kind of numbers are you looking for. Towing, highway driving, what level of Hypertech are you gonna use. I could set my juice to 0 and monitor the EGTS's with my attitude. I'll plug in the Hypertech but what do you want me to measeure? Towing (what speeds, terrain, load, altitude), highway driving, etc... As you can see it's all realative. Without any mods and cruising at 70 mph your egt's I'm sure your temp can flucuate 150 degrees. If you contact Hypertech they'll give you some numbers but are prolly going to need some of the above mentioned numbers to give you an educated guess. otherwise the range is 0 - 1500 degrees

maxdout
10-30-2003, 22:04
NETMINDER,

I get what you're saying. I was just hoping someone on here was currently using one and could give some numbers they were seeing in different situations. I'll probably run in the 1st or 2nd programming,not the highest power level. I don't pull alot, but will on occasion pull 8K to 10K trailer. It's fairly mountainous around here, nothing like some of the western states, but plenty of hills nonetheless. Anything you can tell me would be great. It seems as if you and I are the only ones to ever hear of Hypertech. I know Hypertech isn't the most soughtafter programmer out there, but if it does the job, and it's $100 cheaper than the other unit that serves the same purpose (for me), then it's easy math. I just want to be sure it's what I want, and that it's gonna be safe for my engine. Of all the local trucks that are running the Hypertechs, noone has gauges. None of these folks has a clue that diesels will melt down if not monitored. It's really surprising.

Thanks again,

David Walker

maxdout
10-30-2003, 22:07
NETMINDER,

By the way, how do you like the Banks exhaust? I'm thinking about going that route, as the new muffler, from what I'm reading, seems to be really tame sounding. I love the sound of a diesel engine purr, but I'm growing out of my desire for loud mufflers. A nice throaty, deep tone is nice, but not very loud, and no resonation in the cab.

David Walker

NETMINDER
10-31-2003, 05:20
with the bank exhaust it does have a nice sound not very noticible inside the cab though. Only until I let a friend drive my pickup did I reailize how good it sounded. The down-side is that there is some resonation at about 1800 rpms. Above or below that you won't notice it. Ironically I pull about the same amount you do and when I contacted Hypertech about pulling and which level to use they said use level 1 or 2 if your gonna toe beyond the vehicles capacity (which it doesn't sound like you do) else any level is fine. Lucky for you I saved the e-mails. You'll prolly have to start at the bottom to make any sense of it....

-----------------------------------------------
At the wheels

Jim

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 11:32 AM
To: techsupport
Subject: RE:

The horsepower and torque gains are they measured at the engine or rear
wheel

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 11:55 AM
To: Henrich, Tom

Tom

Most customers like options and most mfg's of similar devices have
different levels also. Some customers over work there truck by pulling loads
that exceed the mfg's towing capacity. Doing so may cause the exhaust gas
temperature to rise above normal. Level 2 or 1 can be used for this type
pulling. Most use level 3 other wise. Thanks

Jim

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 8:24 AM

thx for your response. I ordered a power programmer III and I guess I'm a
little confused as to the 3 stages. Why wouldn't you want to keep the
vehicle in the third stage all the time? Is there a better explanation then
what your website gave in the instructions...

Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 9:10 AM
To: Henrich, Tom

Tom

We have a lot of GM dealers that sell our products for new vehicles
off the show room floor. I'd recommend at least a 500-1000 mile break-in
before installing. Thanks

Jim

Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 12:03 PM
Subject:

Just purchased a 2003 Chevy2500HD 6.6 Turbo diesel. How many break-in miles
should I put on before I use the Hypertech Power Programmer III

maxdout
10-31-2003, 06:53
NETMINDER,

I appreciate that little bit of insight. That's good info. I really trust Hypertech's judgement and products. They've been in this business, to my knowledge, as long as or longer than anyone else out there. They didn't build the business they have by building bad products.

One more question. What kind of fuel mileage changes did you see with they Hypertech when you were using it? I'm hoping to pick up a couple MPG. Right now w/ the pizza cutter factory tires I'm seeing 16 in town and 17 hwy. That's less than I expected. I've got almost 19K on the truck now, but don't know what is considered "broken in" with these trucks. I've heard several Ford and Goat guys say that they didn't start getting decent mileage until around 28-30K. What's your experience been?

BIGGAR
10-31-2003, 08:24
MAXDOUT

I INSTALLED THE HYPERTECH AT ABOUT 4000MI. HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH IT. HAVE IT SET ON #2 AND MILAGE HAS BEEN PRETTY CLOSE TO THE SAME ALTHOUGH I NEVER REALLY GOT A GOOD BASE FOR IT WITH ONLY 4000MI.
FYI I JUST DID A TRIP FORM CAL TO IDAHO & MONTANA AND BACK (2500MI)AND COMPUTOR SAID I AVERAGED 17.9 MPG @AVERAGE SPEED OF 60MPH. OF COUSE I WASNT TOWING BUT TRUCK RAN GREAT. I'M NOT ONE WHO LIKES TO PASS ON 2 LANE ROADS BUT WITH A TOUCH OF THE PEDAL I WAS FROM 60 TO 90 AND BY BIG RIGS IN A FLASH, WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THAT

NETMINDER
10-31-2003, 10:42
That's weird that you'd see that low of fuel milage. I typically get between 19-21 mpg. There is a lot of things that could affect that though....

I've got about 10,000 miles on

maxdout
10-31-2003, 11:07
I'm not gonna say that I'm light-footed, but I try to drive fairly conservative. Is this fuel mileage issue something worth going to the dealership over, or something I should just live with? The dealer told me that I would see better mileage, but he also told me that the programmers were the reason folks were getting the mileage. I thought he just wanted to sell the programmer, now I'm not so sure. I'm changing fuel filter regularly, running Delvac 1, got the UNI filter, doing everything I'm supposed to, but still the same mileage.??????

BIGGAR,

Thanks for the reply. Folks on this board just don't seem to want to acknowledge the existence of the Hypertech programmers, for whatever reason. The passing issue is basically what I'm talking about with "waking it up", just want to bring it to life, it feels as if it's restricted somewhat. Don't get me wrong, this thing's got great power and plenty of throttle response, I just think it has alot more potential.

David

BIGGAR
10-31-2003, 11:10
NETMINDER
YA I'M STILL WAITING FOR THAT KIND OF MILEAGE, BUT MY OLD 90 SUBURBAN (350) ONLY GOT 13MPG SO I'M STILL HAPPY.
AS FAR AS THE TRIP GOES EVEN THOUGH AVERAGE SPEED 60 I WAS 85 ON INTERSTATES. ALSO I HAVE 285 TIRES SO MIGHT MAKE A LITTLE DIFFERENCE

BIGGAR
10-31-2003, 11:19
MAXDOUT
YA I KNOW WHAT U MEAN MY HOT ROD DAYS ARE OVER. BUT I NOTICED A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THROTTLE RESPONSE. BASICALLY INSTALLED THE HYPERTECH TO CHANGE TIRE SIZE THAN DECIDED TO JUCIE IT UP A LITLLE. SOME DAY I MIGHT TRY #3 BUT HAVE ONLY 8000MI AND DONT WANT TO GET TO CARRIED AWAY YET

tcelano1
11-02-2003, 20:41
For people looking for some hard numbers, here's what I've seen with my setup. ('02/ZF-6speed) Prior to Hypertech, on a full throttle pull in 5th gear, I would see 20-21 psi of boost, and about 1150 F EGT. With the Hypertech on Level 2, I get about 23 psi and 1250 F. It will also build boost much quicker when coming up to speed using partial throttle. My fuel mileage went from 18 city/20 highway to about 19 city/22 highway. I haven't towed with the Hypertech yet, but I don't forsee any problems towing on Level II. I've got a move coming where I'll be towing approx 8500 lbs. I ran a Duramaximizer for about 10000 miles, but don't have experience with any of the other black boxes out there. If you are just looking for a little extra oomph, and not looking to build a race-truck, I think the Hypertech is the way to go from a drivability and reliability standpoint.

Burner
11-03-2003, 00:21
Maxdout,

You need to get intouch with me. I'm just down the road from ya.

Burner----------> :D

Camstyn
11-03-2003, 09:39
How much does the Hypertech smoke? :D

maxdout
11-04-2003, 06:44
Burner,

Post an email addy or a phone # and I'll get up with you.

Thanks,

David Walker

TCELANO1

Thanks for the info. That's what I've been looking for.

Burner
11-04-2003, 18:15
It should be in my sig? Look down....

Burner

maxdout
11-05-2003, 06:55
What a brain-fart on my part!!! I'll try contact you sometime this week. It's real nasty around the office right now, so I'm just scratching for a free minute right now.

David