PDA

View Full Version : OEM Fuel Filter Water drain

DMaxDave
10-23-2003, 17:30
A Question for anyone, How many turns on the OEM fuel filter water drain valve does it take to start getting something to run out . I tried to drain to see if any water,
and after 4 turns nothing comes out at all.
Thanks David

[ 10-23-2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: DMaxDave ]

jbplock
10-24-2003, 02:07
Dave,

Did you open the bleeder? I would think fuel should flow with 4 turns. You could also just remove the plug. However, unless there is "large" amount of water you probably won't see anything. When changing my OEM filter last week I noticed that the WIF sensor housing has some sizable cavities that are still below the level of the drain plug. So, a fair amount of water could accumulate in these cavities and still not drain out from the plug. Even if there was a little water in these WIF sensor cavities it shouldn't hurt anything since the sensor body is plastic. When I changed my OEM I didn't find any water however, there were a few small drops and some dirt (http://community.webshots.com/photo/83846161/95466842SonIML) that came out of the Stanadyne pre-filter.

Another thing I noticed was that the WIF sensor appears to be a magnetic device. This is probably old news, but it looked like there was a ferrite ring embedded in the float. Just guessing, but it I suspect the WIF sensor circuit uses a change in inductance to detect movement of the float in response to water present in the fuel (??) Anyone have any info on this? Just curious

smile.gif

DMaxDave
10-24-2003, 02:47
I opened the water bleeder 4 turns and nothing, maybee the little hole is cloged or airlocked. Just have 1100 miles I was just trying to see what would come out. Maybe I should open the top bleed screw and then try the water bleed screw and see if anythings coming out.
Thanks David

jbplock
10-24-2003, 03:04
Originally posted by DMaxDave:
... Maybe I should open the top bleed screw and then try the water bleed screw and see if anythings coming out.
Thanks David Dave,
Yes, the bleeder needs to be open to get fuel to drain from the bottom of the filter... smile.gif

schnier
10-24-2003, 03:12
Never had water in my fuel filter, even after 3 years of running. Use Stanadyne monthly as an additive, or just getting lucky with good fuel? Use Shell, and Pilot fuel normally. Newer stations in the area.

DMaxDave
10-24-2003, 03:14
jbplock,
Thanks for the info, sometimes questions seem silly to a well seasoned diesel owner, but this is my first and this is why I joined. Thanks very much for your help and input. Thanks again, David

jbplock
10-24-2003, 03:26
Dave,

Glad we can help

MAD-MAX
10-24-2003, 05:30
You can open the bottom valve and pump the primer pump ant the water will pump out the bottom ,than it dosen,t get air in the system and the PLASTIC bleeder dosn,t get FUBARED...

MAD-MAX
10-24-2003, 05:32
You can open the bottom valve and pump the primer pump and the water will pump out the bottom ,than it dosen,t get air in the system and the PLASTIC bleeder dosn,t get FUBARED...

MAD-MAX
10-24-2003, 05:39
test

jbplock
10-24-2003, 10:58
Originally posted by MAD-MAX:
... You can open the bottom valve and pump the primer pump and the water will pump out the bottom ...Great idea! http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

Flyboy
10-24-2003, 17:21
jbplock wrote:
Another thing I noticed was that the WIF sensor appears to be a magnetic device. This is probably old news, but it looked like there was a ferrite ring embedded in the float. Just guessing, but it I suspect the WIF sensor circuit uses a change in inductance to detect movement of the float in response to water present in the fuel (??) Anyone have any info on this? Just curious.

You give GM too much credit. The sensor is just a magnetic reed switch that is activated by the magnet in the float.

jbplock
10-25-2003, 03:04
Originally posted by Flyboy:
... The sensor is just a magnetic reed switch that is activated by the magnet in the float. Thanks Flyboy... Interesting... I thought it may be a magnet but I couldn’t get a small screw driver to stick to it.. I'll have to look closer next time...

Hmmm... If the WIF sensor is just a switch that would make it easy to adapt another type of WIF sensor from a different filter...AND, get rid of the root problem altogether (of course it would be reversible in case a trip to the dealer is ever needed)...
smile.gif

letsgo
10-25-2003, 15:18
The reed switch would be dead center and the magnet would be inside the float, because of the proximity of the two items the magnet would only be strong enough to attract a feather, a metal one that is.

good luck

Flyboy
10-26-2003, 12:12
If you listen very carefully, you can hear the switch click when you move the float up the shaft. Or you can attach a VOM and read the resistance. The Racor 660 uses a different probe that requires an amplifer to detect the water. I wanted a switch type to be able to wire it to the OEM light. May have to make my own. I have it (660),mounted on the frame by the tank. It's been installed for about a thousand miles now, so I guess I'll have to crawl under there and look for water!

SPICER
10-27-2003, 10:59
I have been waiting for a thread on this subject, now here is my question....My water drain leaks fuel. Not a lot, never drips, but the drain nipple is always wet. If I touch the drain nipple I can always get my finger wet with a small drop of diesel. I thought I had a bad one so I replaced it. It was dry for months until I decided to drain a little to check for any water. After that time it has never dried up, always a small drop of diesel.

The fact that it is always wet is not immediately obvious....It is only noticed if I reach under the wheel liner(or from the top with the hood open) and touch my finger on the end of the drain....wet every time. I assume this is not a good thing...may introduce air etc....If you guys would, check yours and get back to me, maybe I have 2 bad drains!!!!!! thanks, SPICER. :confused: