PDA

View Full Version : No Thanks to The General (Long)

drthv8r
10-23-2003, 09:04
Here's what happened during my vacation from hell thanks to Chevrolet. I left on the 27 of September on what was to be a 3 week vacation traveling across the good old USA to finally end up in Yellowstone Wy. Camping in my RV along the way.

On Monday the 29th my 2002 Duramax/Ali with 21,000 miles started acting up and losing power. I pulled into a dealer in Iowa they ran a scan and said the #5 and #8 Fuel injectors had failed. But since the truck seemed to be doing ok for now they couldn't do anything for me. I left there got as far as Mn and the truck was doing it again. I arrived there to late the service dept was closed for the day.

I camped at a local campground that night. The dealer checked the truck over the next day. The dealer said the fuel injection module was bad and the #5 and #7 injector reported failed this time and ordered a new module. Two days later the module came in. I also had them re-flash my computer with the latest updates. Bad move I lost 2-1/2 MPG on my way to Mitchell.

I left there late Thursday heading to South Dakota. I stopped at a campground near the Mn SD line Thursday night no problems so far. Left Mn Friday morning heading to Mitchell SD. After being on the road a few miles the truck shuttered as if I had slammed on the brakes real hard and let off. After 8 times of this happening at different times the check engine light came on. I contacted On-Star and had them scan my truck and received 2 codes (two failed injectors).

I was advised to see a dealer. So I went to a dealer in Mitchell and that's where my vacation pretty much ended. This was late Friday but they said they thought the truck needed an upper wiring harness (not in stock of course). They placed an order for it and said it should be in on Tuesday. Tuesday came still no harness so I jokingly asked a sales manager about locating me a new 2004 truck. By now I had been on the road 11 days and 9 of those days I was either at a dealership or waiting for parts.

They found a truck I liked in Mo. After much dealing and talking I decided to trade my 2002 on the 2004(feeling I didn't have time to visit every dealership trying to get back home, I wouldn't be home till next year sometime the way things were going). By the time the truck was delivered and the parts were taken off my old truck and swapped over to my new one it was late Friday. I lost my desire for a vacation by this time and started back home. Nothing like being stuck 1400 miles from home.

I contacted Chevrolet about some sort of compensation for pretty much ruining my vacation (my first vacation in 12 years). All they offered was 2 years of free oil changes. Whoopee I go sit at a dealership half the day waiting for them to change my oil...no thanks.

Yeah I know Chevrolet doesn't have to offer me anything. But for spending nearly $80,000.00 in the past two years on two trucks I feel they could have come up with something a bit better then this. OK my rant is done I'm just trying to give people a heads up on Chevrolet.

Needless to say right about now I

Max Power
10-23-2003, 09:33
Sorry about your luck. That would definately ruin my vacation. Maybe you should start vacationing closer to Eric! :eek:

NETMINDER
10-23-2003, 12:13
Wait .....
Where am I ???
I see these kinds of posts in the Ford forum. Sorry about the vacation. Hope that sort of thing doesn't happen to me....

dmaxalliTech
10-23-2003, 12:37
Originally posted by Max Power:
Sorry about your luck. That would definately ruin my vacation. Maybe you should start vacationing closer to Eric! :eek: Funny, I was just thinking that ;)

JEBar
10-24-2003, 05:06
drthv8r

WOW :eek: ... sure sorry to hear about the events during your trip ... made much the same swing this summer, got as far west as Pierre and really enjoyed it ... hopefully your new truck will provide much better service ... if you can still get the free oil changes, I'd take it! :D cost saved would help and they couldn't blame any future problems on lack of service ... Jim

sonofagun
10-24-2003, 11:36
While it may not be the definitive answer to the annoying injector issue I would recommend you do some study on the secondary fuel filter issue, decide on one and go for it. It can't hurt, doesn't cost much and might be a major fix to the quick to die injectors some members are seeing.

Sorry about the vacation. Good luck with the new truck.

Bob

Bigwheel
10-26-2003, 10:33
Another reason Bartman know's why stealer came aboout..............

I'm really sorry to hear about your vacation, it's not nice to hear that GM still has done nothing to care about all of us that spent all this coin on keeping them in business. Don't understand why these stories keep coming up, I know that others have had some probs, as I have as well. I have been considering a different make of truck, to whoam I know of NO problems what so ever, and perfect customer satisfaction, maybe this will be the cure all..... Take it eassy...

drthv8r
10-26-2003, 16:14
Originally posted by Max Power:
Maybe you should start vacationing closer to Eric! :eek: Max Power..LMAO thanks for the laugh... smile.gif

I guess a bad day on vacation beats a good day at work. I'm not done with Chevrolet just yet, thanks guys for the reples.