PDA

View Full Version : Autometer Gauges or Edge Controller?

DMAX Daddy
07-23-2003, 09:49
I have been debating about adding Autometer Cobalt 2 gauges instead of waiting for the Edge Controller to finally show up. Both are have good reps at being quality products.

However removing the Edge Controller would leave some evidence that something is going on, where the regular gauges would still be there for "towing" reasons. (No camper yet but I have gone out and dragged my buddies camper home twice after his Ford 6.0 Turbo dumped on him).

Additionally, is it that important to be able to change the Juice on the fly? And if the temp is getting too hot, do I really need the controller to tell me to take it easy and back off the fuel for me? I would think looking at the gauge and the few brain cells I have could solve that.

Since I have the Predator, all I need the Juice Controller for is 1: Gauges and 2: In Cab Control. Other than that, if they pop the hood I might have to answer why I have a Pyro connection but no gauge inside....

Am I missing something?

TIA

GMC D-Max
07-23-2003, 10:36
Do I understand that you don't have a Juice? If not, you can't use, nor do you need the controller. The controller interfaces with their Juice modules.

I'm waiting for the release of the controller, but I still went ahead and installed a set of Isspro gauges. I prefer the analog gauges to digital.

DMAX Daddy
07-23-2003, 11:14
Well, my juice is in the mail ;) I was going to only set level 1 until I get gauges (maybe 1 level 4 rip to 70mph to make the wife happy). I have a rigged strap on temp pyro that just isnt working.

My Predator I ran at 100HP for about an hour then set it to zero. I think I had one 0 to 60 run with it, never got out of traffic. :(

When I towed my buddies camper I made sure I adjusted the predator to 0 HP. Being very careful, paranoid as my wife put it.

I tend to like analog gauges myself. The more I think about it the more I might be answering my own question.

The Digital SPA gauge and an one gauge pillar mount is also bouncing around in my head, but I'm not particularly fond of LCD screens.

The Controller intrigues me, but another $200 on top of about $400 of gauges might not be the perfect thing. Of course, hiding it from my bean counter is the real touchy topic. Also, where could I put the second pyro probe for the Controller?

Thats it for now, now I'm really cornfoosed. :confused: :confused:

GMC D-Max
07-23-2003, 11:26
You say you have a "strap-on" type thermocouple? I'm assuming post-turbo location?
Try putting a thermocouple in the passenger side manifold. Look up Mackin or Hoot. I believe either one of them have pics (link in their sigs) of the install in this location. Works great!
smile.gif

sonofagun
07-23-2003, 11:31
DMAX Daddy,

I have the SPA 211 and swear by it. The guage does it all and is very high quality. JK has them.

Good luck,
Bob

DMAX Daddy
07-23-2003, 12:52
GMC,
My "thermal couple" is a probe strapped post turbo running the wire through the firewall to my multimeter. Needless to say it wasnt effective since it was measuring the temp of the metal, but I got a baseline with no program and then could see minor changes with programs added. It wasnt even close to being accurate, but showed the temp increase.

So now I piddle around town with either no Predator or 40HP Predator loaded, and once I get my juice Ill just run level 1 till my guages are in. Of course, I expected to get gauges a month or so ago, just real life kicked me in the butt work wise. Dang Iraqi's! Edge's delay in selling the controller (originally promised in February) hasnt helped either.

a64pilot
07-23-2003, 13:26
IMHO the SPA is real hard to beat

DMAX Daddy
07-23-2003, 15:45
Screw it got a SPA and a single A Pillar Pod smile.gif

a64pilot
07-24-2003, 09:04
You'll like the SPA. Consider installing it in the overhead console if you have one. Wherever you install it it looks better if the reset button is hidden from view. You may also want to install a momentary, normally closed switch in the power supply wire so you can enter the programming mode without having to cycle the ignition switch on the truck.