PDA

View Full Version : Allison shut down in deep sand

jfile
06-25-2002, 18:06
Last weekend I was down at a local lake in the deep sand. Twice when my 2001 D/A was under load and bouncing due to wheel slippage in the sand the Allison shut down for about two seconds then started back up. Once when I was towing my 5th wheel and boat at the same time (about 10000 lbs) and the truck started bouncing from the sand and the shutdown occurred. Next time I was towing out a stuck Ford smile.gif that had a 5th wheel attached and the bouncing from the sand started and the shutdown occurred. The truck was in 4 low both times. Any Ideas?

deadlyman
06-25-2002, 19:22
they have a revlimiter set at 1500 rpm from what the shop forman told me today.

deadlyman
06-25-2002, 19:24
p.s. when locked in 4 wheel low. don't know if it shuts down the tranny or the motor

jfile
06-25-2002, 22:16
What do you mean about a revlimiter because I was getting up to red line 3500rpm with no shut down in the same situation 4low 5th wheel on and no shut down. The bouncing seems to cause it. Please help.

IndigoDually
06-26-2002, 05:14
For some reason I think that the rev limiter issue was only in reverse IIRC.

John

RScott
06-27-2002, 04:59
I frequent the Glamis Sand dunes in SE Cali all the time. I have duned my truck with the stock tires before. There are some tricks. Axle hop is from over inflated tires. Take them down to about 20 lbs and the hop will subside. I've never had mine "shut down" and I've had to "floor" it to get unstuck a few times.

One important thing to remember about the D/A in sand. DON'T USE 4LOW!. It can easily spin all my 285/75 tires bueried to the rim. I have pulled out Diesel Pusher motorhomes in 4Hi no problem.

Guess it comes down to let some air out and take it easy...

mark45678
06-27-2002, 20:54
its possible that a software up date may help? my 01 had no power in 4 lo be for but now its just ok! It will spin all 4 tires in dry pavement .... I had pulled a 18 wheeler out, he got hung up when the trailer twisted on a raised man hole cover and locked up the left rears when the trailer came down on them!