PDA

View Full Version : 4 inch exaust clearance issues

Murray the Cop
10-22-2003, 04:48
I recently installed a Bully Dog 4 inch exaust and wanted to know about the clearance between the spare and the shock. The tail pipe barely clears them. Maybe a 1/4 inch from either. This looks like it could be a problem if I change the shocks if the replacements are bigger in diameter.Anybody else have the same problem with a 4 inch exaust or is it just the Bully Dog? Thanks

ratlover
10-22-2003, 05:14
What sized spare? I have 265's and a kennedy 4"-5" and It is very close but not really touching. This is with a 5" tail. If I go to the 255's I believe I will be screewed though and have to stick the spare in the bed

Burner
10-22-2003, 05:23
MtCop,

I have a Banks 4" exhaust, those yellow shocks that JK sells and a 305 Nitto mounted on an Atlas 8" rim under the truck. It is a litte tight but there are no issues. I doubt that a 295 would fit. Clearance should not be a problem. :D

Burner--------> :D

Murray the Cop
10-22-2003, 05:53
I have a 245 spare and had to move it as far to the side just to fit the tailpipe and the stock shock. Looks as though I'm gonna have some problems.

tpitt
10-22-2003, 07:10
Murray the cop,
I've never installed the Bullydog, but have installed A.T.S. DPP, & BD systems. Sometimes you can get a little creative, and tweak the hangers, etc. on the back end to get more clearance. A.T.S. is by far the best of the three brands I have used so far. They are also the most expensive. tpitt

HD-Nate
10-22-2003, 07:17
Murray, no problems here with Kennedys 4 inch, cant help you with the BD

Kennedy
10-22-2003, 08:02
Not sure how the routing is, but in a quest to save $$$ many have gone to a 2 pc tailpipe. I've designed mine around a 1 pc tail, but sometimes need to split it for shipping. The difference is, that mine begins life as a 1 pc, and I believe most 2 pcers are done as 2 individual pieces. This makes them easier to build as it eliminates the need for precision rotations while in the bender, and likely results in less length to pull the mandrel...

mdrag
10-22-2003, 08:06
Murray the Cop,

Here's a pic of the SHOCK CLEARANCE WITH KENNEDY'S 4"/5" MUFFLER & TAILPIPE (http://community.webshots.com/photo/45217341/45274873GLjffM).

http://thumbs.webshots.com/s/thumb2/7/48/73/45274873GLjffM_th.jpg

VIEW OF THE KD 5" MUFFLER AND TAIL PIPE (http://community.webshots.com/photo/45217341/45274887slGRuh). The rear most hanger was bent rearward to obtain the best positioning for the two-piece 5" tail pipe. After this picture was taken, I repositioned the band clamp on the tail pipe with the bolts positioned at the 12 o'clock position. I did not check the clearance of the factory spare, but it should fit with room to spare. With the 19.5" wheel and tire conversion, I do not carry a spare tire.

http://thumbs.webshots.com/s/thumb1/7/48/87/45274887slGRuh_th.jpg

Additional pics at the first link in my sig.

SoCalDMAX
10-22-2003, 21:56
I just bought and installed the Kennedy 4"/5" system and was really impressed with fit and finish, and was really surprised at how quiet it is!

First off, I did it a little differently than Mdrag (just saw his post a min ago), rather than moving the hanger, I trimmed the pipe 2" which moved the muffler forward 2" and lined it up with the hanger.

Then I trimmed 5" off of the pipe exiting the muffler. This placed the bend directly over the rear axle and I tucked it up nice and high there.

I left every thing snug until final fit, then tightened it all up from front to rear. I have a 33" spare tire, and the 5" pipe clears it with no problems, I think probably on the order of 1" or more.

The hard part was the removal of the old exhaust. With the windows up, it seems nearly as quiet as the stock exhaust. At idle, I hear diesel clatter over exhaust tone. On the fwy it's very quiet, smooth and no drone at any rpm that I could detect, road noise is the loudest thing.

The only time you know it's got a 5" tailpipe is when you're WOT with the windows down and it's echoing off of a building or car next to you.

You know that they know that you're accelerating. It's got an authoritative roar to it. As if they needed extra clues... ;)

Overall, love the looks, fit, finish and sound!

Regards, Steve

Murray the Cop
10-23-2003, 03:40
Thanks for all the input but the question was about the Bully Dog exaust and how to tweak it for the clearance. I spoke directly to the gentleman who installs them at Bully Dog and he straightened out the problems. I guess JK's exaust is just the best! By all the toutinng one would think so.

HD-Nate
10-23-2003, 06:17
Originally posted by Murray the Cop:
Thanks for all the input but the question was about the Bully Dog exaust and how to tweak it for the clearance.......Murray, we understand that you have the BD exhaust and no one is being critical just giving suggestions on what they did with theirs for the perfect fit. The reason I asked about the pipe being too long is I trimmed a few inches off to get it exactly where I wanted it. This also pulled it away from the spare, which was not an issue.

I would not say that JK

tpitt
10-23-2003, 06:58
Just to clarify things. There is Bullydog and there is BD. Two completely different companies. tpitt

Murray the Cop
10-23-2003, 10:31
As I said before,I am thankfull to those who post with helpfull hints to fix the problems. What troubles me is the kind of post on this thread by JK. I don't see how this is helpfull other than to make someone feel as though they made a mistake in thier purchase. Maybe so but what is done is done and the other posts on cutting and trimming do help. I called JK and asked him about putting the Bilstein shocks on with the clearance I had. His reply included how his kit has plenty of room and how the shocks were smaller in diameter than stock so I should order them from him. Thats funny because when I spoke to someone at Bilstein they told me that the body was larger than that of a stock shock.Someone is mistaken on the size. Maybe costomer service is good but you better be a customer first.Customer service is when you are gonna start an install and the guy who sold the part to you is going on vacation and gives you his cell phone number to call him if you have a problem.By the way JK you were right,I am much happier with the Juice than I was with the Quad. Good thing my guy took the Quad back and got me a Juice. I appologize to those who don't agree with my post but I come here for good advice and not sales pitches.So far most of you have been very helpfull.

Anthony

Kennedy
10-23-2003, 16:16
Sorry for speaking my mind and the truth. I do things my way for a reason, and others do things their way for a reason. I did not state how YOUR exhaust was built, only how some have been doing it. Plain and simple.

I suppose if I have to measure the diameter of shock boots, I could. Bilstein is a mono tube shock, and while it has a large diameter shaft and piston, they are a relatively slender shock...

tysmith
10-23-2003, 17:41
Ask for advice, get it, and not happy with the answer... :confused:

Sounds like John sent straight-up, first-hand knowledge, not an invoice.

Ty

SoCalDMAX
10-23-2003, 23:25
Anthony,

Sorry if I sounded like a sales pitch! I just installed it and I still get carried away when I talk about it... Just wanted to let you know that there should be room back there for a 5" pipe even with a 33" tire, you did ask if anyone else had the same problem with 4" exhausts.

Regards, Steve

Murray the Cop
10-24-2003, 07:04
tysmith, How you could possibly construe that post as advise on how to get clearance is beyond me. As I stated before all the usable advice about cutting and the such was much appreciated.Maybe I should have purchased JK's exaust but I didn't so I will work with what I have.As for JK's customer service I am sure he has done the right thing for all that have posted but as for me I am happy with Chris over at Cyclone diesel. Thanks again to all for your help!!!!

Kennedy
10-24-2003, 09:18
As I said before,I am thankfull to those who post with helpfull hints to fix the problems. What troubles me is the kind of post on this thread by JK. I don't see how this is helpfull other than to make someone feel as though they made a mistake in thier purchase. Maybe so but what is done is done and the other posts on cutting and trimming do help. I called JK and asked him about putting the Bilstein shocks on with the clearance I had. His reply included how his kit has plenty of room and how the shocks were smaller in diameter than stock so I should order them from him. Thats funny because when I spoke to someone at Bilstein they told me that the body was larger than that of a stock shock.Someone is mistaken on the size. Maybe costomer service is good but you better be a customer first.Customer service is when you are gonna start an install and the guy who sold the part to you is going on vacation and gives you his cell phone number to call him if you have a problem.By the way JK you were right,I am much happier with the Juice than I was with the Quad. Good thing my guy took the Quad back and got me a Juice. I appologize to those who don't agree with my post but I come here for good advice and not sales pitches.So far most of you have been very helpfull.

Anthony And the answer is: SMALLER

These are very loose nominal dimensions, but here goes:

OE body 2.055" OE boot 2.50"

Bilstein body 1.980" Bilstein boot 2.25"

Now Murray,

Someone asked what correction was made to make it work. Sharing this would be beneficial.

The long and short is: You asked for advice, you got it. This advice was given freely. I did not push to sell Bilsteins, ONLY that if you wanted a set to get in line as they have been on BO for some time now.

Gotta run, 2 skids of Bilsteins coming right NOW...

Murray the Cop
10-24-2003, 13:00
"Not sure how the routing is, but in a quest to save $$$ many have gone to a 2 pc tailpipe. I've designed mine around a 1 pc tail, but sometimes need to split it for shipping. The difference is, that mine begins life as a 1 pc, and I believe most 2 pcers are done as 2 individual pieces. This makes them easier to build as it eliminates the need for precision rotations while in the bender, and likely results in less length to pull the mandrel... "
This is the post I am refering to. Helpfull? Thanks for the info on the shocks. Just ordered a set.

Kennedy
10-24-2003, 14:34
Were you going to share your findings/fix with the people here?

SoCalDMAX
10-25-2003, 08:46
Well I'm glad to see that someone took the time and effort to actually measure the Bilstein and OEM shocks (close enough to be called the same size). Thank You!

The info from the Bilstein rep was obviously mistaken. I'd call him back and let him know of his error, since he's not doing Bilstein or the customers any good.

Murray, was your tailpipe 1 piece or 2 piece? was there some way that you adjusted it to get more clearance?

Regards, Steve

Murray the Cop
10-26-2003, 04:45
SoCalDMAX, It is a two piece( tail pipe and tip).I havn't done anything yet,but your trimming suggestions were almost exactly what I got from Bully Dog. When I get my shocks,if they are the diameters stated, I still won't have to do anything but when the tires come the cutting will begin. Thanks for your help.

Kennedy
10-26-2003, 07:02
Well, all orders/backorders (except for 1) for 2500HD shocks are shipped! I don't recall seeing the name Harold anywhere though...

Murray the Cop
10-26-2003, 07:14
Who's Harold??

Kennedy
10-27-2003, 07:43
Who's Harold?? Meant to say Anthony...