PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke

WhiteDiesel
10-20-2003, 19:35
I searched smoke and could not find anything that explains. How can black smoke be un-burnt fuel, as well as white smoke? I had black smoke before and dealer replaced 4 injectors. The search is telling me that the huge clouds of white smoke I now have are from bad inj. also.

With 46k I should be covered on warranty right?

But here's my problem. I am self employed. My truck makes me every penny I need to pay the bills. From past experience, I know the dealer will keep my truck for more than a week. Now, how do I convince them that they need to get me something to tow my 16' flatbed? I can rent a U-Haul, but why the hell did I spend 40K to rent a work truck. I almost forced to drive my truck, billowing smoke and all, until I get a break in the action, and then take it in. Any advice? :(

flhrciblueice
10-20-2003, 22:49
Originally posted by WhiteDiesel:
I searched smoke and could not find anything that explains. How can black smoke be un-burnt fuel, as well as white smoke? I had black smoke before and dealer replaced 4 injectors. The search is telling me that the huge clouds of white smoke I now have are from bad inj. also.
I think white smoke is a rich condition, as in too much fuel. That may mean you have injectors stuck open. Someone who knows more about this issue will chime in.

Heartbeat Hauler
10-21-2003, 05:52
When helping a friend with his 6.5 the white smoke turned out to be a glow plug/contoller problem. He would only have the white smoke at start-up. This condition went away after the truck had started and was running. Something to think about anyway. There is an online trouble shooting guide available here on the forum for the 6.2 & 6.5 engines, this may help give you some idea what you are up against. Look at chapter 5. BTW, you need to be a member to access this area.
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm
JP

Allison Jettester
10-23-2003, 05:17
Black smoke comes from an incomplete burn, turning the fuel to carbon. White smoke is raw unburned fuel that is misting, not really smoke. It is usually caused by excessive fuel getting into the exhaust system and building up in the muffler and evaporating. It could cause damage to the engine as hydraulic lock if enough is poured in the cylinder or if it torches off in the exhaust. Also, it could be burning coolant which would probably smell funny and can also cause hydraulic lock. I can recognize the smell of burning the old green anti-freeze, but never have smelled the orange stuff, but I'd bet it has a distinct odor. I'd also think the white mist would smell heavily of diesel. Anyway, I wouldn't drive it until I found out for sure.

Joe

[ 10-23-2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]

hd90rider
10-25-2003, 13:15
This happened to me just 3 weeks ago. So much white smoke,people thought the trailer was on fire. Got it into dealer & it was a damaged seal on the sleve that the injector fits into.

zip
10-27-2003, 08:41
White Diesel,
Another thing that can cause white smoke is the mass airflow not working right. For instance, if water hits the electric wire going across the maf, the computer thinks it's AIR because of the sudden decrease in temperature sensed.. so it sends a signal to the fuel delivery to increase the amount of fuel to balance out the increase of air. But there really isn't any airflow increase- it was water, so the engine can't burn all of the fuel it's getting, and the result is unburned fuel going out your exhaust.It's a white smoke.
Basically what I know about it anyway.One of the 1st things to get checked is water in the air inlet system. Others can give a better description, I'm sure.
zip

WhiteDiesel
10-28-2003, 22:40
I noticed that she smokes after idling for extended periods, like traffic. Also, the smoke will choke the lungs with the windows down, I mean it smells bad. When I get on it, like 45 to 50mph, the smoke goes away. It's almost like the turbo blows everything out. I should be able to take it in a week from today, the fires in San Diego gave me a break in the action.