PDA

View Full Version : Is this the dreaded tick on an '03?

Husker Fan
09-25-2002, 07:26
My

imported_
09-25-2002, 07:30
NO,you don't have the tick ;) It is the language this truck speaks to others to beware at stoplights :cool:

hoot
09-25-2002, 07:32
Yep, that certainly describes it.

Don't sweat it. We are in the third year of production and it has not shown to be of any significance whatsoever. It is a normal characteristic of this engine. Mine came new with it but has for the most part disappeared. 36,500 miles. It went away at around 10,000 but every once in a while it comes back for a day or so then goes away again.

Change that oil and the differential lube as soon as you can. I would not want that engine oil in for more than 1000 miles myself. That's the oil that washes the inside of the engine down, picking up all the machine fines and chips. Sooner out the better IMHO.

Paintdude
09-25-2002, 07:41
Just remember, most dealers do not know much,if anymore than YOU about a duramax deisel, especially a service writer..

"the tick is normal" there I go sounding like a service writer... :D

Husker Fan
09-25-2002, 10:08
Hey Hoot,

I was told my differential was 'lubed for life'. I've followed the discussion of this before, but there doesn

SoCalDMAX
09-25-2002, 10:20
Husker Fan,

If it sounds like random typing (from a typewriter) coming from the oil filter area, don't have a clue what that is. :D Yup, it's the tick, which is definitely oil related. Mine ticks for a few hundred miles after an oil change and then it's no longer audible. Seems strange that fluid could create such a metallic clicking noise, but it's supposedly harmless.

The recommendations to change the engine oil/filter, tranny filter and diff. fluids early and often come from bearing experts, diesel experts and lube experts. There's an article over on F-D.com that has identical info, with specific driving habits and mileages. Don't baby the truck, but try not to tow until 500mi. Change gear oil at 500mi to get rid of debris and then again after 500mi of towing to drain debris. This way everything is "bedded in" and using clean fresh oil.

Cheap insurance to get trouble-free life out of the drivetrain. It's all of the electronics and complexity that worries me...

Regards, Steve

Black Dog
09-25-2002, 10:47
That tick is NOT A PROBLEM. Ignore it, forget it, and enjoy your new truck.

hoot
09-25-2002, 11:18
I believe the manual will tell you to change the dif lube.

FightinTXag
09-25-2002, 14:02
I had the tick starting around 200 miles or so. It gradually went away and since my last oil change (the first on Delvac 1) I haven't heard it at all. I think someone else posted that their tick went away with Delvac 1 and came back with conventional oil.

I changed my oil (using Delvac 1300 Super), filter (Delco), and diff lube (Mobil 1 Syn) at 1600 miles no towing. There were a few fairly large metal flecks on the magnetic drain plug under the diff. I've since been told that the Delvac 1200 is better for the lighter duty applications than the 1300 Super. I changed oil and filter again at 5200 a couple of weeks ago using the Delvac 1. Be sure you've got a good filter wrench, and don't tighten it more than about 90

ChopperBill
09-25-2002, 14:20
My "03" GMC has 2500 miles and the "tick". I kind of like it. Will miss it if it goes away. My dealer also said not to change oil until around 3000 miles. They are an old established truck only dealer. Guess they are the ones that have to live with me for the next 5 years, 100,000 miles

mackin
09-25-2002, 15:19
Ticky,Ticky,Ticky........
=>http://www.csimo.com/junk/duramax_tickticktick_noise3.wav

Mine as others only do it for first 100 miles or less after an oil change.......It's a "audible" reminder to "type" out your current mileage so you won't be late for your next change...Thank's GM/Isuzu for looking out for us...... ;)

MAC :D

george morrison
09-25-2002, 17:13
I am not ready to report this as "absolute" yet, however, I am working with several small fleets of Duramax's of which approximately 50% have had the "tick". Some trucks have up to 60,000 miles on them, all the while with 'tick'.
Switching to Mobil Delvac 1 (from various mineral based oils including Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella T) has eliminated the 'tick'in all engines. I must caveat this in that we have not yet experienced seasonal changes and affects of various loadings, high mileages, but it looks very promising at this point.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Toddster
09-25-2002, 17:41
Well, lets squash the Mobil 1 theory ! I switched to Mobil 1 Delvac @ 1,000 miles and low and behold I now have the "TICK" ! I know it's not the oil, just saying the oil is not the cure.

mdrag
09-25-2002, 19:17
Mine ticked with the factory fill, ticked with Delvac 1300, no tick with Delvac 1, tick returned with Delvac 1300, tick gone again with Delvac 1.

One of the Delvac 1 changes during the winter, and one Delvac 1 change during the summer....

Toddster,

Probably just your truck's personality ;)

Husker Fan,

No oil change for 5K miles??? Ask your dealer to explain how frequent, low mileage oil changes will HURT the engine? This ought to be good :eek: ... I suppose it's some type of double secret break in oil formulation... :D

Or maybe the oil needs to be left in for so many miles/hours for 'parental engine bonding' (like ducklings)..If you change it too early, the engine will reject all other oils causing problems smile.gif

george morrison
09-25-2002, 19:35
Toddster, you mentioned you switched to "Mobil 1 Delvac". There is Mobil 1 synthetic auto oil, there is Delvac 1300S 15W-40 and there is Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic diesel oil. Sometimes there is confusion with the Delvac 1 vs. Mobil 1, so I wanted to clarify that it was indeed the Mobil Delvac 1 in the silver gallon container that you used.
George

[ 09-25-2002: Message edited by: george morrison ]</p>

GlenM
09-25-2002, 20:43
Mine ticked intermittently (loudly) up to about15K miles.With 25K miles it is completely gone, can't remember last time I heard it. Dello 400 every oil change since new. Doubt the noise is oil brand related.

Glen

conradv
09-25-2002, 20:54
Man, I can't wait to hear a "tick".......

Toddster
09-26-2002, 05:08
George, I am using Delvac 1 full synthetic 5W-40....Silver gallon container from AVLube. Mdrag, this truck has had a personality all its own from day one !

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: Toddster ]</p>

mackey_62
09-26-2002, 06:02
Husker,

5,000 mi till first oil change???
Please tell me you laughed at the stealer.
I'm thinking this guy makes alot off warranty work.

My first change at 750 miles, was talking to mechanic. He was completely against changing before 3,000 "just a waste of oil". Old oil was draining as he said it so I let it go.

Anyway, don't listen to them. Oil is cheap. Get some fresh dino in there and flush 'er again around 3,000. Then a few 3,000 intervals before synth. (unless you want it for winter use)

I think Tick will be the least of your problems if you run factory oil till 5,000!!!

george morrison
09-26-2002, 14:22
Toddster, well you bought the Delvac 1 at the right place!, thank you :)
Again, as I indicated, I am not ready to write the complete book on the 'tick' cure yet, but the "tick" has ended so far for these 30 pickups. (including my own!) One has had the tick continuously for 60,000 miles and the operator was ready to run it over a highwall. He now calls every day to confirm the tick is gone.. :)
Ongoing..........
George

Husker Fan
09-26-2002, 15:39
Mackin: Thanks for the wav file. That definitely is my tick!

Mackey_62: I don

Bobcat698
09-26-2002, 21:30
Hmmm...

I like the sound clip. Sounds like marbles clanking together..

I idled my truck for about 1/2 hour last night while talking to a friend & noticed a strange sound, but it definately wasn't the tick...

Its hard to explain...

I know its not the tick...

Garrett

THIS TRUCK ROCKS!!!

BTW, we took the truck up North for to go up to the cottage.
We were pulling about 5,000lbs, plus about 400 pounds in the box.
We made it up a LONG hill in Overdrive going 70MPH without losing MPH, we actually GAINED speed going up the hill & it seemed that the Turbo spooled up a bit to keep her going!
This is the type of hill that if you are going 55MPH on in a 1/2 ton truck, the truck downshifts to make it up. This thing didn't downshift with a LOAD!

:eek:

conradv
11-05-2002, 23:59
Of course, my new 2003 GMC has the tick. I would have felt sad if it didn't...

By the way, my dealer said to definately change the oil at 1500 miles, which I'll be up to next week.

XTOCAK
11-06-2002, 13:43
I changed my oil three nights ago, I've got 5000 miles on the truck (3rd oil change), and have had the tick since the first 1000 mile change. I tried something different this time and the tick is gone...don't know if it's related but it's gone for now.

What I did was to fill the oil filter up with oil prior to screwing it on...I filled it up three times so that the filter media had time to absorb the oil and then when I was ready to screw it on, I made sure it was half full of standing oil. I'm used to changing oil/fuel filters on diesel and they have to be prefilled before installation. Decided to try it and it may have done the trick...will reply back if it comes back.

3176CATPOWER
11-08-2002, 20:36
Switched to Delvac 1 synthetic and the tick still comes and goes.Mine never ticked until first oil change.