PDA

View Full Version : Quadzilla Stealth Tuner for Duramax - 110 HP Towing Program

gregmican
10-19-2003, 08:12
Hey guys,
John has a super price on his website for this tuner. Does anybody out there run this tuner? I don't do much towing at all except when I go hunting. I really want it just for seat of the pants performance. Will I be satisfied with this tuner or do you recommend another? I don't want to have to upgrade my tranny or worry about screwing it up so thats why I am trying to stay clear of anything more than a 110hp. I don't even have gauges yet. Will this tuner stay within the safe limites of my stock dmax?

maDmax990
10-19-2003, 10:41
Hi Greg-

I spoke to JK just last week, and I'm sure he can give you more detailed info, but he talked me into a refurb Juice instead of the Quad (even though the price difference was compelling). His quote was "the Quad 110 will run right through your [stock] transmission." I can't remember all of the details of the conversation, but what I got out of it was that the Stealth has good power but isn't as nice to the tranny as the Juice. Maybe some Quad users will chime in on that aspect, since I have zero experience with it first hand.

I do know that Quad has a 30-day return priviledge, so maybe give it a whiz.

So, I dug up a few extra bucks and went for the Juice. The juice definitely works with the Allison. It's actually kinda odd at first. I went to level 3 in normal mode, and if you drive it like you're walking on eggshells, you can't tell the difference. If you mash on it, holy mackerel! But the funny part is midway in between....the Alli is expecting all that power and does what feels like premature defueling and long shifts.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, just think both the tranny and the foot need retrained.

Now I think I know why Mr. Mackin (and others) have issues with the speed limit. The truck just wants to fly.

Good Luck, Mat

Oongawah
10-19-2003, 10:58
You gotta give the tranny a couple hundred miles to learn. She'll shift real smooth then, and all the power as well.

Murray the Cop
10-19-2003, 11:08
I was running the Performace tuner that tunes to 135. I tried to run the 135 mode but it puts the tranny into safe mode on hard accelleration at hwy speeds. I tried three different tuners ,one with a completly different program(so they say)and all did the same thing. Even in the 110 mode the tranny never shifted "right"to me anyway.I am going with a Juice myself for the defueling. I hope I didn't hurt the tranny to bad with the Quad. I hit the safe mode twice and when it happens the truck is turning about 4500 on the tach. Doesn't seem that the only thing it can hurt is the tranny.I think a couple of hundred up front beats a few thousand for the tranny upgrade in the end. Hope this helps.Any body have an oppinion on whether or not I damaged the tranny with the two trips into safe mode? Thanks

PremierDuramax
10-20-2003, 03:58
I have been running the QUAD Stealth 135hp on the 110hp setting for 2 weeks now and I have yet to get the tranny to limp. I find that it does not hit as ahrd as I was expecting.
I do not know if Quad ahs made the power transition for linear to avoid limping or not.
I must say does it ever get up and go though. I have yet to see any smoke on the 110hp setting. Once I get my pyro in this week and I can not wait to try the 135hp setting. Maybe it will limp the tranny then.

MAV
10-20-2003, 04:45
I run the Quad 135 and have never limped in the 110. I have done it once in the 135 though. The 135 is good for a gain of 143 hp and 297 lb ft of torque. I proved this on Sat on the dyno. The Quadzilla lives up to its numbers.

Kennedy
10-20-2003, 06:20
The 135 HP tune will. The 110, is much less likely, BUT remember, a lot of it is in how hard you drive! The most common point of limp is around 80+ MPH WOT after a full power shift into 5th. I am quite sure that MANY never/seldom go there. If you run a Hot Juice hard enough, you just may limp it there as well...

TOYPULR
10-20-2003, 08:57
Hi guys, New guy here... Like all the info here and it has been a great help! smile.gif

Gregmican:
I have the Quad 110 "tow program" and love it!! :D I have had it for almost two months now and have had no issues with it. It works great in my 3500 crew cab and makes a big difference in the power. I have towed a 26' TT in both the 50 and 70Hp settings with no problems. the 50Hp EGT's are safe all the time and at 70Hp the EGT's stay below 1300 unless WOT up long 6% grade, but easy to back off just a little and still go over the speed limit... These low EGT's are the main reason I got the Quad. I also have a 24' enclosed race car trailer that is just under 10,000 lb and it works about the same, more then enough power to pull the hills... I basically leave it in the 70 hp all the time.

I also have run the truck in the 1/4 mile on the stock, 70 hp and 110 hp settings at 2700' (4400 corrected) altitude, 1200 rpm launch. Stock the truck ran 18.00, the 70 hp was 16.97 with a 20mph head wind and the 110 hp best was a 15.71 with no wind, this is pretty good for a completely stock truck that ways 7,800lb going down the track :D . I have never limped it yet and it doesn't de-fuel on the shifts. I plan on putting a better muffler on it and a Uni air filter in the near future. One other note is it has no smoke until you use the 90 or 110 hp settings and you have to really look to see it, this is much better then my old 94 d*dge that you could escape behind... :eek:

Hope this is some info that will help... smile.gif

TOYPULER

gregmican
10-20-2003, 14:34
Hey guys,
Nevermind I bought a Juice from John K. today! Thanks for the input anyway smile.gif

motovet
10-20-2003, 17:45
How MANY? As John said the Juice will put her into Limp mode right around THERE. At least some earlier versions have for me...course now I keep my foot out of it a bit around THERE. I want a new tranny too so I can play harder like some of you guys. Bigger bonus this year?

maxdout
10-21-2003, 08:01
In a reply to another post I made, JK had said the Quad programmer would make the motor a little noisier. Did any of you guys that have 'em notice a big change in the sound of then engine?

Thanks in advance,

David Walker