PDA

View Full Version : How many people use their electronic 6.5TD's for work?

RT
03-22-2004, 18:34
Hey guys,
I am a carpenter/contractor that has outgrown my pickup. I just can't take all the tools I need everyday with me, they aren't secure in the back of a truck and I am tired of unloading/loading every day. I have big tool boxes already and a cap is not practical. I am looking at used 10-12ft box vans preferably with SRW's. This should provide plenty of room for all the tools and 4x8 sheet space when needed. The dilemma is this: If I want to stay GM I am stuck with a thirsty gasser or (gulp) an electronic 6.5TD. A guy I work with has a '00 GMC, 16ft box van with the electronic 6.5 that has gone, and continues to go through the typical electronic pump issues. I can't have that happen. If I don't work, I don't get paid, have to stay on schedule, etc. I am afraid of the electronic pump. I have a few options I guess:
1. Buy the gasser and deal with low mpg/high fuel costs.
2. Buy the electronic 6.5TD and start praying.
3. Buy the electronic 6.5TD and convert it to mechanical at the first sign of problems? I know trucks and subs have been done, but anyone ever do a van?
4. Scour the earth for a 93-or earlier gm diesel van. Tough to come by in decent shape, most have been used HARD.
I'd like to hear from guys that depend on electronic 6.5's to make their paycheck and how reliable they are. Thanks, and sorry for the long post. RT

Bobbie Martin
03-22-2004, 18:59
Chevy made 6.5L mechanical pump (non turbo)G vans from 94-96 and P chassis from 94-99. Not sure how hard it would be to find one. To check if it has the MFI engine, the 8th digit in the VIN will be a "Y". Converting to mechanical pump should be no different than any other 6.5 with a 4L80E. Probably have to use gas van throttle linkage, etc.

patrick m.
03-22-2004, 19:00
i drive mine everyday, mostly to and from work, but there are many times we use it to pull a load on a trailer.
since i have added many of the mods to help the elec pump, and have a history with the truck, i have a great deal of confidence in it.

it seems some trucks have trouble with pumps or FSD and some dont. i have yet to have a pump related problem, i did have an ign switch problem that caused an intermittant stalling. but none since.
the latest pumps i believe are very reliable. and moving the FSD to a cooler seems to help.
good luck.

rjschoolcraft
03-22-2004, 19:14
Well,

I don't work my Suburban in the same way that you do, but I work it nearly every day and depend on it heavily to enable making a living and providing basic necessities around here.

First, I haul 550 gallons of water on a utility trailer two to four times a week to provide drinking, bathing, cooking water (etc.) for our home. Water weighs 8.3333 lb./gal. so the water alone weighs 4583 lb. Add the trailer and tank and the total weight is probably over 6,000 lb. Our well doesn't produce, so I have a 1500 gallon cistern in the ground that I haul to. It's about a 10 mile round trip to the city pumping station where I get my water...up and down hills.

Second, I use my Suburban on business travel. Overnight trips are usually done with my travel trailer in tow...I don't like hotels. I've towed all the way to Las Vegas and back for a business trip. When I'm out like that, I depend on the Suburban to keep me on schedule to make critical business meetings.

Third, I use it (with utility trailer) to haul all manner of equipment (tractors, bush hogs, trucks, cars, etc.) to keep my property and other activities going.

Fourth, I travel all over the country with my family and travel trailer on vacations. We went to San Francisco last summer. We're heading to the Florida Keys next week and considering a trip to Alaska this summer. We've traveled to New York, Florida, California and points in between with this truck.

As you can see, it rarely travels without a load and I do depend on it heavily. I have had a few problems with it, but have been able to remedy all with the help of the Diesel Page. I don't subscribe to the "convert to mechanical" mentality. I have over 193,000 miles on the truck now and expect many more.

[ 03-23-2004, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: ronniejoe ]

tom.mcinerney
03-22-2004, 20:56
RT--I don't work my truck. I've worked out of a number of 1-ton F**d and Chevy vans and utility box trucks.
A word of caution on vans. I was in a fleet maintenance facility one day with a POS company van/death trap, that had died on me(a gasser).
The mechanic says, 'This thing ever have any electrical harness fires?' Me: 'Don't think so, don't know'. Mechanic, 'This thing never had any wire harness fires, HUH?' [He points upward into a region where no light shines, or reflects...]. {The fleet service maintained a number of our rigs, and had become familiar with the boss's purchasing habits, of 'other folk's problems'.} I said there were never any signs of smoke when i was in the truck.
The mechanic advised me that he'd noticed that many vans have wiring trouble because there's less room for airflow around the engine; things tend to 'cook'. So if you buy a used van, be sure to clean and maintain the cooling system. If it's a 6.5L diesel, maintain all engine/battery cables & grounds, put the PMD/FSD on a remote heatsink in a cool location, change the fuel filter{bleed air} renew the OPS, and add a relay on its output, and check the lift pump pressure regularly.
If it's a van front (G), i'd stick with gas unless love mechanical work in off hours. If a regular cab/flat-bed with box, then maybe a diesel. Replacing the injection pump isn't that much fun.
Converting to mechanical pump not easy if transmission not manual.

JoeyD
03-23-2004, 03:32
I tow my enclosed trailer everyday, hauling tools and stock. I also plow every time it snows.

MARVIN G
03-23-2004, 08:03
have 97 2500 chev. works every day normally scales at 8400 to 9200 with all the permanent tool boxes & parts storage & has been 90% reliable

Marty Lau
03-23-2004, 15:03
I like Ronnie Joe haul water and in summer it's everyday and someitmes 2 times 450 gallons in a pickup box trailer 10 miles from the water station 2 good hills. When it's hot I hook up to 1000 gallon tank on a flatbed. I bought my truck new in June 1996 I have 162,000 miles 1 IP on GM at 28,000 I have put 2 FSD/PMD modual on and if you remote locate the are easy to change so if you keep a spare I think Heath sells them for about $245 you can change them in about 10 minutes. That FSD/PMD is the weak link. I have a friend who has been fighting a electrical igntioin problem on his Bronco for about 2 months and he is a good wrench and trouble shooter so just becasue you have gas outfit don't think you will not have problems.
I would not get the van but truck with the box things are easier to work on and parts are more easier to find. And you may have to go dual rear to find what you need.

Tough Guy
03-23-2004, 15:42
RT

Something to consider would be an enclosed trailer, many of the contractors around my neck of the woods use them...If your truck is in good, reliable shape a trailer would make the most sense. You could leave it at job sites and haul far more tools and with fuel prices on the rise the last thing I would do is buy a gasser! I am sure you will make a good decision.

Cheers

JoeyD
03-23-2004, 17:02
Tough guy is right. Trailers are very popular in my area as well. I have one and use it for work, it holds more tools than my van and you can stand up in there. Go from work truck to play truck with the pull of a pin.

rapidoxidationman
03-23-2004, 21:57
I use my truck every day, lots of starting and shut down cycles, and log over 30,000 miles per year between my business fixing stuff and using it as my family hauler. It's always been very reliable, as long as I pay attention to it every so often : battery cable connections, grease, oil, air, and fuel filters. Lately I've been learning a lot about stalling and the fsd, but haven't been stranded yet. In a nutshell, I'd give it a 9 out of 10. Minus 1 point for no third door!
Rapid

Bobbie Martin
03-24-2004, 05:37
Couple of other trucks you might consider. They aren't 6.5s, but they are diesels.
If you are looking for a box truck, there are a lot of Isuzu diesels out there.
If you can afford new, Freightliner Sprinter (http://www.fl-sprinter.com/) vans look pretty nice.

RT
03-24-2004, 19:39
Thanks for all the replies! I thought long and hard about a trailer. Trouble is about 50% of the jobsites I am one I wouldn't be able to get a trailer into. Also I do mostly remodeling, kitchens, windows, sliders, etc. I move from job to job almost every day, sometimes 2-3 different jobs a day so towing a trailer, parking, etc. would be difficult. Still wary of the DS4 but I do feel better about it. If i find the right truck I won't hesitate. I am actually considering a used USPS step van right now. Not the mail delivery trucks but the next size up, 1.5ton, p30 chassis I think. All aluminum body, 6.2/TH400 powertrain, 11ft long inside and I can easily stand in it, tons of room! Ugly though and no AC..... Ahh, you just can't have it all. RT

rustypig
03-24-2004, 20:33
At work (USAF) We have a ton of the P30 type chassis box vans (we call them Metro's). Most are 96+ years. In the last 4 years we've only had one FSD/PMD problem on one of the vans that I can recall. I had to explain the OEM problem to our vehicle guy, and wrote a note for him to the repair facility for him about replacing the fuel driver after the second time it came back with no fix. They read it...replaced it under warranty...no problems.

If were my own rig for work like you need, I'd just keep a spare FSD in the glove box (get it off ebay for cheap etc...)
and put the working one on a heat sink or "FSD cooler". No more worries....drive it untill the body rots off.

markrinker
03-25-2004, 12:32
I'd do gas in the van, since you have no towing needs.

Vans are impossible to work on, compared to getting under the hood on your truck. Face it, with a 6.5, you end up under the hood.

Just my thoughts...

Marty Lau
03-25-2004, 16:54
Mark;
I agree with the van I just wouldn't do either a gas or Diesel, gas engine need work too from time to time, sparkplugs & wires, Distributor work, hoses, ect. I would look for a if I was RT I would look for a one ton pickup style truck with box then you have engine access like a pickup and the van box, most I see are DRW but hey what the heck or if you can find a SRW one ton puckup and box to put on the frame.

How about something like this:
There is a GMC 3500 Hi Cube on Autotrader.

[ 03-25-2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: 16ga SxS ]

jimcreek
03-25-2004, 19:31
i work out of mine everyday haul aprox. 13,000lbs in a 14 ft. box and it works fine the normal problems; oil pressure swicth, electronic fuel driver (put remote on no problem yet). my first truck has 254,000 miles; transmission went at 216,000 miles. bought #2 GMC 3500HD have not put it to work yet.
CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION
BOUGHT #2 TRUCK WITH 204,000 MILES AND THE OWNER BEFORE ME CHANGED TRANSMISSION JUST BEFORE I BOUGHT IT.
so my consern would be if you buy used truck watch the milage transmission lasts only 200,000 miles.
NOTE: you should not be in any hurry to get any where although it will get you there and back.
another thing to consider is the cost of generl service (oil, filter, fuel filter) and repairs of competors.
you should change engine oil and filter (fuel and engine oil filter) regulerly.