PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil smell

Bill Harper
10-16-2003, 18:10
My truck has 6200 miles on it now, and just completed the seconed oil change. I use Rotella 15-40 and delco filters. My question is that after both of the oil changes I notice a oil smell, perhaps burning, but don't know? It seems to go away after a while. Has anyone noticed this and what is it? I have no leaks where it would be burning. Is it coming from the exhaust or what? Input is welcome ;)

bartman
10-16-2003, 18:51
Since it happened after each oil change, I would bet that it's just residual oil that dripped on to your engine and is just burning off. If the smell goes away after a few days I wouldn't worry about it. If you checked for leaks and don't see anything, then I would say your OK. ;)

jjgmc
10-16-2003, 18:55
I agree with bartman if it is smelling after the oil change then that is what it is just blowbye

mackin
10-16-2003, 19:04
Positive Crankcase ventilation,ya that's it ....Some oils stink worse than others ...

Surprised the enviro cops haven't put a lid on this by now ....

Mac ;)

mdrag
10-16-2003, 19:38
Bill Harper,

I agree with mackin. The strong oil smell (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005550) after an oil change is likely from the crankcase vent, and should become less noticable after after a few hundred miles. Some brands are worse than others. I've noticed it with Mobil Delvac 1 and Delvac 1300.

SoMnDMAX
10-16-2003, 22:27
Ditto to Mdrag and Mackin.

Chevron Delo 400 stinks bad for the first 500-750 miles, then you can't smell it. Rotella 5w-40 stinks for a while too, up to 500 miles.

There's nothing wrong, just the normal "result" of an open crankcase breather.

I too am suprised the enviro-nazis haven't whined about it.

Boonbltz
10-17-2003, 00:04
Hey we are not crazy, I have a 2001 Duramax and do all maintainance, my buddy has a 2003/2004 we changed his oil for the first time about a month ago and noticed the same smell. I never noticed this smell of oil with my truck we looked up and down north and south for the source to no luck both use delo. Guess its some of that teck no logical stuff ;) :rolleyes:

mackey_62
10-17-2003, 05:22
Me too, Rotella 5-40 stinks for awhile.

But, I been assuming it's because I'm putting the full 10 qts in, and maybe theres a little left in there, so maybe a little overfull thus causing excess to be evacuated over the front of block for oxidation protection.

Actually, mine pretty much smells like that all the time. Guess I just got a smelly truck. Dam :D