PDA

View Full Version : False "Check Engine Oil Level"

Mike O.
06-21-2002, 11:09
Twice in the past 3 weeks I've gotten the "Check Engine Oil Level" warning light and when Checked the oil is at the top of the top bar, i.e., FULL. There is approx. 2000 miles on the last dealer oil change.

Anybody experience this or know the fix?

mackin
06-21-2002, 11:12
Mike ,

J. Kennedy has . If I'm not mis'taken there is a fix for it in a updated software program flash .......well , it fixed JK'S as he stated ..

MAC ;)

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackey_62
06-21-2002, 11:15
You can reset it. It doesn't mean you have to change oil. Can't tell you the exact procedure, hasn't happened to me yet. If you check your owners manual, you'll find it. Pretty sure it's a preset interval, independant of your actual oil changes.

Sorry, thought you were saying "change oil" message. My mistake.

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

sally
06-21-2002, 11:23
Mike O; I had the low oil light problem on my 01. The dealer had to drop the oil pan and change the level switch.

SJR
06-21-2002, 16:08
Mike O
With 225 miles, my "check engine oil level" light came on today. Stopped engine and checked oil twice and read full (I also learned what everyone means when they say how hard it is to read the dip stick). Stopped by the dealer and they said they would change out the sending unit that screws into the oil pan on Monday. On the way home the light reset. I will wait until Monday to make a decision. BTW I was told you will get a free oil change out of the fix.
Thanks,
SJR smile.gif

Turbo Al
06-21-2002, 18:10
Mine has been coming on and off since new (for 12,000 miles). Took it in with it on and they could not find the cause. Of course it stopped all by itself since then but the Dealer never did get back to me as how they were going to fix it. They did mention they wanted to replace the "instrument cluster".
P.S. The check oil level warning CANNOT be reset.
Turbo Al

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]</p>

Kennedy
06-21-2002, 18:39
May or may not be a coincidence, but mine came on the day I was leaving for RIV. I was headed to the dealer for the latest ECM/TCM updates, and after the update it was off. Not sure if there was a fix in the updates or not, but it hasn't returned...

Southard
06-21-2002, 19:18
My "Check Engine Oil" warning light will come on if I immediately start cranking the engine without waiting for a few seconds for the glow plugs. I have never had it illuminate when I have waited for the glow plugs.

bmoeller
06-21-2002, 20:23
My version of this problem turned out to be a broken connector to the sensor. The dealer fastened it on with a plastic tiewrap. It's held for 4000 miles so far. They said something about eventually getting a whole new harness when GMC made them available.

Geerrhead
06-21-2002, 21:17
I have also had the "low oil level" message happen to me. In the first 1200 miles, it has happened 4 times. I also have a small "neatrul drop" condition when cold from the transmission. It will be interesting to hear the outcome.

Mike O.
06-22-2002, 09:46
Thanks to all for your comments/experiences. The dealer said it may need a PCM flash. However, I have also been guilty of cranking away before the glow plug signal goes off, but have tried to see if that has correlation with the "Check Oil Level" warning. I'll try and do that.

Kennedy
06-22-2002, 09:57
Mike O,

Do you have any pictures of that lowered '01 2wd?

rberner
06-23-2002, 00:02
I start mine many times without waiting for the glow plugs to finish.
Never had the check engine light come on.

Mike O.
06-23-2002, 08:03
JK,

Tell me the best place to post a pic and I'll get out the digital camera and take one.

Turbo Al
06-23-2002, 09:56
Clarity
I actually had mine in for the updates and the low oil light was one of the small issues (to me) that this truck had. The rest of the issues were fixed but the shop said "could not dupilcate" the oil message error. They told me to bring it in with the error showing and leave the truck running in the service bay. Next day after all the computer updates the light came back on, took it in and they could not find the problem but acknowleged the light was on. Light continued to go on and off for a couple of more weeks, I changed the oil (4th change in 12,000 miles) and light has not returned. I did not however tell the dealer that because they were suppose to be looking for a fix and never got back to me.

SJR
06-25-2002, 17:13
Light came back on again today. Does anyone know if the sending unit screws into the oil pan or if they have to drop the pan to get to the unit?
SJR smile.gif

SJR
06-27-2002, 10:23
Just got back from the dealer and the mechanic found a loose ground wire on the sending unit. He said it looked like it had not been put on right and was bent. Seems to have fixed the false light.
Good service at Griffith Motor Company in Neosho Mo.
SJR smile.gif

Kennedy
06-27-2002, 10:34
Mike O,

Many of the forum members here have their own Picture trail or similar site. You could also email them, but please keep file size under 100k if possible.

I am curious to know if 2" is the lowest you can go or if it will drag if dropped more???