PDA

View Full Version : Juice + Propane = ????

StevePala
06-19-2002, 19:33
Hello to all, this is my first post on the forum and I'm looking for some input. Currently I'm running the Juice at level 4 setting, a 5 inch exhaust system, and an AFE intake box/filter in a 2002 GMC D/A Crew Cab and it really moves.

Yesterday I spoke with Jay at ATS about the propane system they have and it sounds real good. But was wondering if anyone has tried the juice and propane combo yet?

I don't tow with the truck but just want to go fast even faster.

mackin
06-19-2002, 19:47
Welcome another CT D-max owner ........

Yes, a couple guys have tried it, but the Allison is a limiting factor.... You will easily reach it's peak tolerance to HP and Torque and it will not hold 5th gear ...... Soon this will be addressed but not yet that I know of ....... Did ATS give any time frame on their hand held reflash mod?

If your a supporting member there is an up coming SEPT get together in Cornwall Bridge on us 7....... You ought to check it out ..=>http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=002322

MAC smile.gif

[

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Geerrhead
06-19-2002, 20:10
Hello Steve,

Welcome to the forum. It's great to see another local guy on here. I hope to finally meet everybody at the Cornwall get together. I would like to check your truck out some time Steve.

smile.gif ;)

PEANUTGRWR
06-19-2002, 22:31
STEVE, IM RUNNING THE JUICE IN TANDUM WITH PROPANE. AND HONESTLY THE JUICE DOES MORE FOR THE TRUCK THAN PROPANE DOES ALONE, YET THEY BOTH WORK WELL TOGETHER IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. THE JUICE AS YOU KNOW BACKS OFF THE POWER WHEN THEN TRANNY STARTS SLIPPING AND I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT WHEN RUNNING PROPANE THE JUICE BACKS OFF ON THE FUEL JUST THAT MUCH MORE WHEN THE TRANNY STARTS GIVING IT UP. IF YOU ARE IN A RACING SITUATION I FEEL THAT IT WOULD BE BEST TO RUN THE PROPANE UNTIL YOU GET THE ALLISON INTO 5TH THEN TURN THE PROPANE OFF. I HAVE HAD MY TRUCK AT THE TRACK AND SEE LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN THE TIMES WITH OR WITHOUT PROPANE DUE TO THIS FEATURE IN THE JUICE BOX. THAT IS WHY I FEEL THAT THE JUICE IS THE BEST MOD GOING THUS FAR :D :D

SoCalDMAX
06-20-2002, 02:36
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum!! Why are all of the guys who want more power named Steve? ;) I am also running propane and used it with the Juice (until I returned the loaner Juice.)

The Juice adds more fuel and the propane just complements it that much more. I agree 100% with PEANUT, the Juice will start backing off when the Allison starts slipping and the net result is only enough power to cause it to slip.

Several times I had it floored and the 4th to 5th shift slipped and the Allison went into limp mode. The reason being that the slippage occurred too quickly and too much for the Juice to back it out. The propane increased the power to a level that the Juice couldn't pull out of fast enough. It wasn't designed to protect from such additional power adders and shouldn't be expected to.

It's a real rush from idle to 4th, but if not driven carefully, will lead to a limp mode more often than not.

I think that a well driven Dmax with Juice and propane, on slicks with a power brake launch could easily get into the mid 13's in the 1/4mi at about 90 to 95mph.

The limiting factor here is the Allison. If the Allison could be beefed to take 700hp and 1,000 lb-ft, JK would be in the forefront stacking the Duramaximizer, TTS reflash, Juice, propane and throwing his modded turbo on for good measure just to see what breaks first. ;)

If you're considering propane, take a close look at the Power Shot 2000 system. Several people here including Hoot and myself are running it, and I can't begin to tell you how great it works, very consistent. The service is TOP NOTCH. I bought it used, asked a question on the forum and the mfr contacted me via email with all of the info I could possibly want. Don't let prices fool you, sometimes the best engineered product isn't the most expensive one.

It seems odd, but these phenomenal power increases are due in part to the fact that it's a turbo diesel. You'd be hard pressed to generate these kinds of gains so easily on a gasser.

I LMAO every time I listen to these kids at work talk about buying some trick cam and cam gear for $900 guaranteed to make an extra 17.125hp on their little ricer. They think titanium valve spring retainers alone are worth 20hp. ;) If I had spent half as much money on stuff that these guys did on their little 4 bangers, my truck would look more like an Escalade than a Silverado and I'd have a very hard time keeping tires on the rear. ;)

Regards, Steve

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

schnier
06-20-2002, 04:10
The Duramaximizer stacks with propane and runs a 14.1 sec 1/4 mile with slicks. It is on the website (Duramaximizer.com) under videos. I do not know if the tranny slips or not.

Kennedy
06-20-2002, 08:36
Propane is something that has always been in the back of my mind, but I just havent had the time/resources to familiarize myself with it so it will have to wait a bit. The PS2000 kit gets rave reviews over the "forklift carburetor" type and I also hear the ATS system is good too.

Like I said, Ive been kicking the idea around, but for now I am sticking with the fundamentals.

Jim H. (BUICK 528) has shown what sticking to the fundamentals can do with his (9 second?) drag car using a production block that hasn't been built in almost 30 years!

Im also thinking i need a lighter truck to play with. I can dip into the 14's (Gtech) with just the Juice at 7400# You racers can do the math as to what that would be If I were to shed some odd 1600# to get down to the range of a 2wd regular cab...

To give you an idea of our air quality, we are at 1277' elevation, and currently (quite typical) we are at 71

Mark Bajus
06-20-2002, 12:13
but John, if went with 2WD reg cab you'd have to carry 1600 lbs in spare rear tires!

Kennedy
06-20-2002, 12:32
I'd put a set of fat DOT drag radials on...

Joe.G
06-20-2002, 17:39
What's with this DOT crap, let's put some real radial 9 inch Hoosier racing slicks on the rear and boost it to the max!

Kennedy, if your humidity is higher than the temp it's got to be raining. Besides that, your temp and humidity could never be worse than it is down here. I'm headed to a place this weekend that's worse than here, it's called Bay Town Tx.

Idle_Chatter
06-20-2002, 19:24
Joe G., I don't agree on the "humidity greater than the temperature" because 100% humidity is all the water that the air will hold *at* that temperature (101% up is rain), but you are definitely 100% correct on Baytown! :D

Flyboy
06-20-2002, 19:54
I think Joe.G meant "dew point" instead of humidity.

Kennedy
06-20-2002, 22:45
Either way it is still crap. Not sure why the racers use elevation as a comparator. From what Ive seen the sled racers use an air density gauge to figure the air quality. I never really followed that stuff much, just kinda relied on feel...

Joe.G
06-23-2002, 11:15
FlyBoy - Yes, I did mean dewpoint, my slip, used to be a weather observer in the Air Force.
Kennedy - imagine a column of air starting at sea level and rising to say 5000 ft. The air density or 02 content is greater at sea level and decreases as you go up, therefore your power decreases as you go up, unless you have a turbo or a supercharger (blower), it's different for them than a normally aspirated engine. You can overcome the altitude by adding more boost or air.

Theoretically we should run the same at 2900 ft where I live as we would at the same altitude in Bay Town (on the coast). It didn't work that a way tho, we ran much faster down there than we do here. Our computer was useless, we had to fly by guesswork. Talked to some of my buds who live up here and they were having the same problem. Somebody with more no-how than me will have to figure this one out.