PDA

View Full Version : Friend's D/A 3/4 ton using lots of oil and bad mass air sensor?

Darryl Felps
06-18-2002, 22:48
Need help for a friend at work. His P/U started using about 1 quart every 500 miles and visable smoke at start-up. Dealer checked glow plugs to find the bad cylinders and replaced the injector O-rings on two injectors. Following all this the truck was down on power and they said the Mass air sensor and air inlet temp sensor was oil contaminated by the K&N filter. Friend called K&N and they said to clean it and it would be OK. Dealer cleaned them but still showing codes and not running any better. Dealer replaced parts at a cost of $600! Said parts not covered under warranty due to failure by oil from aftermarket filter! Truck still not running good and still giving codes. Dealer investigating engine harness connectors for possible bad pins.

Anyone heard of either of these two problems? 1. high oil consumption from injector o-rings. 2. Sensors damaged from air filter oil.

D-n-Tyke
06-19-2002, 07:36
Just a quick note here. If the $600 dollars didn't fix the problem he took it in for, I would be asking for some if not all my $600 back. He didn't bring the truck in to just throw money at it and hope it hit the right spot. That's why we take it to the stealer, so they can "fix it right". :rolleyes:

Kennedy
06-19-2002, 08:15
Time to put the foot down and then pick it back up and give someone a good swift kick!

Changing a MAF should only take 15 minutes. I hope he kept his old one, as I would suggest that he clean it and keep it, then when it all settles down, I would hook up with someone IMPORTANT at the dealer (management) to present my case, and then have the Tech II installed, read MAF at idle, WOT, and cruise, then swap the old one back and go again. When readings fall in the same range, it should be obvious that they were just guessing and playing the blame game...

Reno DMAX
06-19-2002, 10:06
You've got me worried,

I noticed a small amount of oil had collected on the bottom of my air filter box. No doubt from the over oiled Amsoil air filter.

Is it difficult to remove the MAF? What should I use to safely clean the MAF?

pinehill
06-19-2002, 10:59
"I noticed a small amount of oil had collected on the bottom of my air filter box. No doubt from the over oiled Amsoil air filter."

Well, that's the best place for excess oil to be. To check for possible MAF contamination, remove the filter box cover, and run a clean, white paper towel around the inside lip of the intake tube. If you see no oil stain or dirt on the paper towel, your MAF is A-OK. smile.gif