PDA

View Full Version : Factory hitch receiver capacity

TallyMax
06-17-2002, 21:05
I need some advice on the capabilities of the OEM hitch receiver setup (Z-82 pkg?) from some of you folks that haul a lot. Right now I have an 18 ft car hauler (7,000 # GTW) which I haul a Kubota loader/backhoe that weighs in around 5,500 lbs making total weight right around the trailer's max. I'm considering replacing the trailer for a deckover trailer (more clearance, width, room for another implement and weight capacity:12,000 #'s). I've got a Reese weight distributing hitch with the anti-sway bars(cam type) which is rated up to 12,000. Will the factory receiver hold this much? I know it's rated for this amount, but I seem to recall some negative thoughts about the quality of the OEM posted here. Are there better ones out there and is it worth replacing the one that comes with the truck? Sorry to be so long winded, I just want to look real hard before I leap. THanks! :confused:

odoh
06-17-2002, 21:53
I seem to recall a thread sometime back re OEM bending below rating. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that it was limited to some that were produced and installed on the 01 trucks. There weren't bad experience reported from owners of the 02's altho some upgraded for personal satisfaction. ~ odoh

motovet
06-18-2002, 00:01
My 02' receiver bent and started to break the weld towing my 10,000# trailer with 1,000# hitch weight. I use a 1,200# EZ-lift set up to take off some weight. The stocker could not handle my set up so I replaced it with a class V Draw-Tite... all better.

needbigtruck
06-18-2002, 00:27
The factory receiver is rated for 12,000 lbs. I pull a 5500 lb. TT and the pin hole on mine started to elongate. I took it back and they finally ordered me a new one. Took a while to convince them. They kept saying my pin was undersized. I finally took in my pin and took the service manager to the showroom and put it in a new suburban to show them my pin was just fine. That convinced them. Got the new receiver last fall, so haven't towed much to see if it was an improvement. I say if they are going to put on a 12,000 lb. receiver then why spend money to replace it. Of course mine didn't break at any welds. I had been inspecting the old one regularly after I first read about the problems people were having.

LarryM
06-18-2002, 06:58
With over 9000 miles of towing my trailers, I have seen no problems at all with the hitch. I usually run about 7500 pounds loaded trailer weight with 1000 pounds tounge weight. I do not use an equalizer hitch. Because of the previous posts reporting problems with the OEM hitch I have been inspecting it often and closely, but have yet to find a problem.

EIS01
06-18-2002, 16:51
I have been towing between 10,000 and 12,000 for the last 25,500 miles without any trouble. My tongue weight is between 1,000 and 1,500. I use a weight distrubtion hitch some of the time, depending on the trailer, distance, etc. There may be better hitches out there. But I have not had any thought of spending the money if this one continues to hold up like it has. Hopefully, if GM did there testing the way they should have, we are in good shape. Mine says it is good for 12,000 with W\D hitch. Good luck with whatever you decide. Thanks, Kevin

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: EIS01 ]</p>

mdrag
06-19-2002, 09:03
Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.