PDA

View Full Version : EGR unit on Duramax?

ct0218
09-19-2002, 19:48
I understand that the EPA has mandated a 50% reduction in diesel emissions effective Oct 1, 2002. Are the 2003 Duramax engines built prior to Oct 1 equipped with the EGR units? That will increase soot levels in the crankcase oil and necessitate a new API oil classification of CI-4 (for the EGR engines). My truck has a TPW of next week. I think I could live without EGR. Anyone know?

mackin
09-20-2002, 05:17
ct0218 ,

Speaking of 50%, that's my percentage of getting this correct...... :eek:
But I believe from what I've read,seen,and heard was the EGR in the Duramax is not stated to appear till 04.......Furd's is introducing a cooled EGR system this fall in the new Diesel, so we will see what happens there, and what we can look forward to, or not......

MAC

hoot
09-20-2002, 07:00
As far as I know, the Duramax did does not have to comply until 2004 because of it's foreign origin. The law was setup for US based engine manufacturers. Since Isuzu was more than 1/2 owner of the engine, they did not have to comply.

GM now owns 100% of Dmax.

DMAX Daddy
09-20-2002, 14:36
Well someone tell me where to look for the EGR unit and after I get mine back from the dealer tonight Ill see if my CA '03 has one.

SoCalDMAX
09-20-2002, 14:57
My CA '02 has it. I don't know what affect it's having on the engine.

Regards, Steve

odoh
09-20-2002, 14:57
Daddy ~ Thats easy. Look for the label on the ECCU atchd to the valve cover ajacent to the dipstick. If you have an ECCU, you have a EGR ~ done did/no choice in CA. ~ odoh

tpitt
09-20-2002, 15:06
Randy,
I'm sure you have it unless they made a mistake and thats not likely. Look underneath your p/u on the pass. side and if you have a big bulge in the first big pipe coming from the engine, that will be the Cat. Also on the pass. side top of engine along side intake manifold you will see a shiny stainless steel tube running length wise. That is the E.G.R. Don't despair though. Mine runs pretty darned good, even without the juice.

george morrison
09-20-2002, 16:15
The EPA Mandate for emission reduction applies only to large Class 7 and 8 diesel engines, on highway, and does not pertain to our Duramax class engines, or off highway.. Thank goodness!!
The EGR does just what it says, re-cycle exhaust gasses right back into the incoming fresh charge.. Those who remember 197l autos and the affect EGR's had on their performance, well, it's Deja Vu all over again! Class 8 manufacturers have had to remove plastic containers from under the hood and replace them with stainless, new fittments, etc.
One giant step forward to the air except that no fleets are purchasing them, thus older trucks are going to be on the road longer, producing even more pollution. Except, Caterpillar, which is refusing to go the EGR route, paying the fines until it comes up with technology which it feels will provide clean exhaust without the costs and reduction in efficiencies of the EGR technology.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

SoCalDMAX
09-20-2002, 16:43
George,

I'm not too knowledgeable about the finer points of how the EGR operates. When/how often is it on? How much of a performance hit do you think it's inflicting?

Not that it's going to get removed, just curious in case I talk any smack to a 49 state Dmax owner. ;)

Regards, Steve

Vaughn MacKenzie
09-21-2002, 14:20
The whole idea behind EGR is to reduce cylinder air temps, because oxygen nitrates or produces oxides at a higher rate when combustion temps are higher. Supposedly Nox is hazardous, or so the EPA says (just like soot, which is based on shaky science). Since diesels run such high cylinder temps they are more prone to it than gassers.

There are tradeoffs with emissions when compared to gassers, gas engines emit a lot more carbon monoxide than diesels, diesels are very clean in many regards except for Nox and particulates. It seems our Gov and special interest groups would like to sterilize the diesel out of existence, if they could :mad:

The latest iteration of the Cummins B-series will be EGR-ized starting Jan 2004, along with the new PSD and DMax.

NickLeinonen
09-23-2002, 19:04
the egr system in diesels is kinda stupid to me. without it, you make nox, but not much particulate matter. with the egr, you will still make nox, because the egr is not suppose to function at full load, but at lighter loads, it will cause more carbon particulate. you end up making more carbon [smoke] which requires a cat/soot trap to capture. just imagine what that will be like when it gets plugged up. it will perform like my 6.5TD when it has a plugged soot trap. 8 months to go until i order a new truck, and it will be diesel, and it will NOT have an egr system.