PDA

View Full Version : First Trip

denverdale
06-17-2002, 12:36
Took my first trip with the new truck Sunday. Went from Denver to Buena Vista, Colorado. Had about 125 miles on the truck all in towm driving. Had a nice pineapple sunday at Buena Vist and then filled up and headed home. Took 13.5 gallons to fill up. Got somewhere around 16.8 to 17 miles per gallon, depending on how the dealer filled it initially. When I rolled into the garage, the trip odometer said 112 miles and the fuel gauge showed just off of full.
I found out that it is very hard to keep it under 55 and also hard to continually change the rpm.
I am really pleased so far. Went shopping today for nerf bars. Found a good price on a set of Luverne stainless steel bars. ($279 installed). Think I may go with them. Any negative comments regarding Luverne?
Also I noticed that my truck seems loud after first starting and driving out of the neighborhood. After it warms up, it quietens down a lot. Is that normal?
Thanks for any input. Most of you have already been through what I am starting so your input is appreciated.

DenverDale

wizkid
06-17-2002, 12:54
All diesels rattle when there cold. Fords are the worst for this. IMHO the difference isn't as bad with the duramax cause there so quiet.

deerhunter7
06-17-2002, 13:18
Your fan makes alot of noise untill it warms up.
Pulls a lot off air when locked up . So yes it's
normal.. I have the same nurf bars .Seem as good as they get..

CSDMAX
06-17-2002, 15:07
First time post. I have 2K miles on my truck and I have noticed the same thing. The fan comes on intermittantly when you first start and when the AC is pumping away. Is this normal? Kind of annoying.

From what I have seen Luvernes are built much like all other nerfs. I have decided to go with custom fab wheel to wheel running boards with steel diamond plate on top. I will probably have them sprayed with a bedliner coating.

Love my Chevy D/A !! ;)

MudNurI
06-17-2002, 18:12
I LOVE the way my truck sound for the first 3 mintues of driving.. its actually the Allison makign the noise, not the fan or the engine or whatnot. My Brother in law has a 8.1/A and has a incredible Allison whine/whistle...sounds really good. I'm glad I have the Duramax, but wish I could hear ol alli screaming!

Glad to hear ya like the truck, and I never did figure out how to go under 55..truck's running fine still.

Brandy :D

denverdale
06-17-2002, 20:42
deerhunter7

denverdale
06-17-2002, 20:43
deerhunter7
Are those step bars good and strong?
denverdale

needbigtruck
06-18-2002, 00:40
The longbox has the 34 gallon tank. I have found it's about 6 gallons to come off full. about 2 gallons per tick mark (except in the mid range of the gage there is a little less), and the low fuel light comes on about a tick and 1/2 from empty, and there are about 3 gallons left. I have the standard so it was easy to change RPM's during breakin, lot's of choices. Seems like you could just select another gear on the allison. Haven't put any boards on mine yet, am thinking about looking into those automatic ones that come out when you open the door.