PDA

View Full Version : Engine.....What's up???

Burner
09-16-2002, 17:23
I know that Diesels will burn a little oil and have irrattic fuel milage when new. I have just over 20k on "The Truck" now. I have never noticed any, I mean "zero", oil consumption. I used Smello at the dealer for the first 10k (3 changes) then Rotella (2 changes) and now the truck is on a perminent diet of Mobil-1 Delvac. I thought that this motor would be broken in by now? I still have up and down fuel milage? I do pull a fair ammount of weight, 3 to 20k every now and then. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible to change the oil too often? When will this thing "break-in" and settle down?

Rich

-- I just love this site!!! That's why I paid!
Hummm.... maybe I should get an 03', just for the heck of it?

needbigtruck
09-17-2002, 06:38
I have been expeimenting with how fast I drive. Driving at 55 back and forth to work nets me close to 22 MPG, but if I drive at 60-65 back and forth to work I get 19-20 MPG. Most other things are the same, however lately it's been ccoler, but not cold. I'm starting to think the closer to 60 degrees, since I believe that's the temp the intake heaters come on at, the more efficient these moters are. I also watch EGT. At 55MPH flat roads it's about 500 degrees, vs 65 MPH nets 650 degrees. Unless it's varying bu 5 or more MPG then I wouldn't worry. The other benefit of %%, I don't have to watch for cops as much!

andy911
09-17-2002, 07:03
Burner:
I don't have any direct experience with diesel engines, YET (I'm working on it! ;) ) but it's not uncommon with gas engines to have zero oil consumption between changes. This doesn't mean that the motor isn't 'broken-in' yet, it just means you have a good one! If anything, an engine will use more oil while it's breaking-in until the rings and bearings have seated properly. Don't worry - Enjoy :D :D

BTW: In my opinion you can never change oil too often but everybody has a different opinion of how often is neccessary.

Andy.