PDA

View Full Version : Grille Cover Airflow Restriction?

Shaun091382
03-22-2004, 12:33
Hi, I know airflow is important on the 6.5's so i am curious to know I was considering getting a Lund stainless grille screen insert i was wondering would this cause too much restriction of airflow thanks

tanker
03-22-2004, 16:18
Hi Shaun, I have a "Lund" plastic 3pc. insert on my 95 GMC. Works well in winter, but I remove it in summer and use a bug screen, which is also a restriction, but not as bad, plus it keeps all them critters out of the radiator. Once I towed with the "Lund" and the fan kept kicking in and the temp gauge went up to 225*F, not good. They look good, and maybe you can get a few more months out of it up in Canada, but watch your temp gauge. smile.gif

KallyI
03-23-2004, 01:53
I tried the Lund "6" piece plastic bug screen in mine, and even in Canada, it is too much restriction, even if you aren't towing.

DennisG01
03-23-2004, 04:21
I have a Lund 3-Piece plastic insert. I only tow a boat that weighs in around 6K, but regardless I have never seen high temps and I keep it on year round. Maybe with those holes in the bumper it makes up for the difference since I'm not towing anything too heavy.

Beedee
03-24-2004, 01:34
Hey Shaun, I have a Stainless grill cover that was on the truck when I bought it last year. Was heading down the highway last summer, doing 110 kph and the engine fan kept cutting in, empty truck, not towing, just crusing. I pulled over and removed the pretty stainless cover, the fan never came on again. I put it back on for the winter, but its off again now, too much air flow restiction for me.

Shaun091382
03-24-2004, 06:27
Thanks guys..looks like the consensus thus far is too restrictive in warm weather but more worth while come winter time and/or cooler climate that in my opinion beats out the look factor! thanks guys for your information.