PDA

View Full Version : Which chip to choose

bwpody_16
02-18-2005, 11:22
Im thinking about purchasing a chip, possibly a Van Aaken or Edge juice. Im not looking to upgrade my tranny, or do any racing, what do you think would be the best way to go?

DmaxMaverick
02-18-2005, 11:43
If you are after mild tuning, consider all the options. If you don't do hardware mod's, you are limited with what you can do, anyway.

There are options that are less expensive than Edge or VA, that offer so much more than just a power boost. A Predator or Hypertech may better suited to your needs, and they offer other options, such as tire size adjustment, DTC read/clear, and no physical installation. The Predator is very well suited to the 2001, and works as advertised. The Hypertech is good as well, but doesn't offer near the data reading capability, and falls a little short on advertised performance/economy.

Contact some of TDP advertisers and shop their offerings. Prices have recently come down on some of the programmers. Be aware that a better price from some unknown may come back to haunt you if you have issues later. All of TDP advertisers have been excellent in regard to customer service. You will probably hear from one of them here before you even make a choice.

Whichever way you go, good luck.

silverback
02-21-2005, 09:36
Bwoody,
After researching this topic for at least a year (mostly on this site), I bought the Hypertech. I have similar moderate performance goals and was concerned about transmission life too. It was a tough choice between the Hypertech and the Predator. I believe the Predator may provide better performance gains, but I read several posts about training the transmission and even some possible PCM failures with the Predator that helped me chose. Hypertech promotes (and warranties) it's product as safe for towing in all three settings, the Predator does not. I'll be finding out later this week.
Ken

Kennedy
02-23-2005, 19:59
I just tried the Hypertech on my 05 after the first one did not recognize my calibration. Initially, I was impressed. Not so much by the power, but that it was smooth and moderately strong on Level 3.

My impressions changed though, when I rolled into it and got a lot of deep timing rattle like the pilot injection shutting off. I will not be running this for long.

As for the promotion of tow safe in all levels, there are 2 ways to look at this. One is that the power is lacking, and the other is that they are more liberal in their ratings. Personally, I cannot see towing with this thing on level 3.

IMHO, the Predator is a much greater value. The 40 is best for towing, and anything more than that regardless of who makes it is walking the fine line...

As for bwoody's question, I'd say either the Edge or VA will do well, just don't run it hard in the higher HP levels.

bwpody_16
02-24-2005, 06:19
Thanks for the reply john, you opinion means a lot, seeing that you seem to be one of the experts on the duramax.

Kennedy
02-24-2005, 08:16
Keep an ear out for super aggressive knocking. Starts as low as 2k when you roll into it, and seems to continue indefinitely. Not sure what it would do with a load on it.

silverback
02-24-2005, 16:31
John,
I received the Hypertech today and I'll probably do the install (level I) next week. I'll be on the lookout for the rattle you describe. Maybe I'll check out Hypertech's support to see if they have anything to say about that symptom. If I don't like it I'll send it back and try the Predator. Like bwoody said I always appreciate your opinions and reporting.
Thanks,
Ken

Kennedy
02-28-2005, 07:13
Towing on level 3 mad the noise more pronounced. It seemed to be pedal position sensitive more than load. At about 60-70% it instantly turned into a Powerstroke sounding clatter.

Level 2 did not have this, but was sure lazy to tow with. I had my Sportsman 700 in the bed, and a JD 4310 tractor/loader with 600# of ballast on a 16' car trailer.

earniem
03-06-2005, 20:24
John What do you think of the Banks set up? they have the chip and the wireless controller in the cab?
My dealer has had trouble with the Edge with an attitude. A loud clicking in the engine.

Kennedy
03-07-2005, 08:28
Banks makes a pretty high quality product, but the performance has been erratic, and typically low. The instal is nowehere near as simple as an Edge or VA. Splicing wires, and mounting the unit in the cab sucks when the time comes to hide it.

The PDA thing, well, to me it's a neat idea, but goofy. I haven't seen how the PDA gets powered, but it will need power/charging somehow...

durachev
03-09-2005, 17:17
Hey John,

Did Edge come out with an update a week or so ago, if so have you had a chance to test it out?

It amazes me how long it can take for them to get problems panned out, but I'll be patient for awhile longer and see if Diablo or Edge can get the LLY product perfected.

Kennedy
03-09-2005, 20:17
V1.2 for Edge LLY has been released. I have been unable to get my programmer to update the LLY so far so I won't have one to try till Friday the way it looks...

Kennedy
03-14-2005, 15:24
Edge has also just announced their EZ for the LLY. Should be released next week. Simple toggle switch to change levels from off-low-high. 65HP and 200 lb/ft of TQ.

I haven't tried it with a load, but driving it seemed pretty decent!

Budget priced at $449...

durachev
03-15-2005, 17:45
Keep us posted....

ChevyDealer
03-15-2005, 23:52
We have had excellent results with the Edge Juice product. Numerous satisfied customers with both the LB7's and LLY's in 2500's. 3500's & 4500's. For those that don't need larger tire calibrations, don't want to mess with changing the factory programming, want to be able to remove it easily and quikly (you know what I mean) and want that little extra Umph with the possibility of a 1-3 MPG increase... the Juice on Level 1 or 2 is perfect.

Kennedy
03-16-2005, 08:25
I hope to try the LLY EZ, the LLY Juice v1.2,and the VA smart box for the LLY on the street soon.

Then for tuners, Quad has made some major revisions to his Stealth tuner platform and some programming updates for the LLY as well.

Problem is, I typically only get out on weekends nowadays...

durachev
03-25-2005, 17:57
John,

Did you get a chance to test out that new V1.2??

aero
03-28-2005, 13:11
BOUGHT A VAN AIKEN FROM KENNEDY AND MADE AN INTERSTAE RUN SINCE INSTALL. WOW!! GREAT HP AND MILEAGE IS IMPROVED ALOT. THANKS KENNEDY!!!!

Kennedy
03-29-2005, 20:34
Originally posted by durachev:
John,

Did you get a chance to test out that new V1.2?? LLY is on the dyno, but I took a break and when I returned, the load controller was applying load and I now have no control over it. I have some "chips" for the control system coming and hope to tie it up soon.

Edge EZ works pretty nice. VA LLY has too muchg for stock trans.

My daughter is here for Spring Break so I've been playing hooky most of the day this week...

Kennedy
03-31-2005, 15:44
Originally posted by silverback:
John,
I received the Hypertech today and I'll probably do the install (level I) next week. I'll be on the lookout for the rattle you describe. Maybe I'll check out Hypertech's support to see if they have anything to say about that symptom. If I don't like it I'll send it back and try the Predator. Like bwoody said I always appreciate your opinions and reporting.
Thanks,
Ken Well, level 1 made LESS power than stock on the dyno. Level 2 made a bit of gain. Both had lousy shapes to the curves even for an LLY. Level 3 made about 70HP with a fair shaped curve. For reference, the Juice on Level 2 made better numbers than Level 3 on the Hypertech. Peak HP was 330 for both the Hypertech and Juice, but the numbers don't show the whole picture.

The dyno issue turned out to be a tripped breaker/switch down by the controls. Reset it and we were rolling again. Finished up just in time to let her take it out to do her visiting...

Tough Guy
03-31-2005, 17:02
I say cowboy up and try the six gun tuner with the speedloader...

install is a little more challenging but initial impressions are that it has spunk, and loads of it.

High quality stuff.

Cheers

Kennedy
04-01-2005, 06:31
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
I say cowboy up and try the six gun tuner with the speedloader...

install is a little more challenging but initial impressions are that it has spunk, and loads of it.

High quality stuff.

Cheers :rolleyes:

tongue.gif

Capt. Tom
04-02-2005, 11:32
O.K. Mr. Kennedy,
I've had to get rid of my 01 (wrecked it)and have just gotten my 05 4X4 Extended cab shortbed. I still have my original Juice and am looking to put a new chip in the 05. After reading some of the new post about the LLY, I would like to ask your opinion as to which one to choose. Light towing, maninly boats not heavyer than 10K mostly 5-6K. But would like the perfomance of the Old Juice.
By the way anyone want the Juice?

silverback
04-02-2005, 15:40
JK,
By the seat of the pants and my right foot I'd say the Hypertech Level I is noticeably more powerful then my stock LB7. I have a lot more mid range. Of course I have non stock exhaust also. I'm geting the bug to try level II now.
KL

bwpody_16
04-02-2005, 16:04
Capt. Tom, how much are you asking for your old juice, i might be interested if the price is right

Tough Guy
04-02-2005, 16:56
How much for the wrecked truck?

Cheers

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2005, 20:02
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
How much for the wrecked truck?

Cheers You got your priorities straight. Don't you TG. Made me laugh out loud.

rjschoolcraft
04-03-2005, 11:01
Gotta get him out of that Ford! :D

DmaxMaverick
04-03-2005, 13:48
Now that's loyalty. Looking for a wrecked Chevy to replace a running Ford!

Capt. Tom
04-03-2005, 17:32
Originally posted by bwoody:
Capt. Tom, how much are you asking for your old juice, i might be interested if the price is right Give me an email at captom@ij.net I also have a Banks boast guage and temp. guage on a pillar post to go with the Juice if your interested.

jjackson
05-22-2005, 06:27
Just thought I would report my experience with the Quadzilla Stealth that I just installed. I have an '03 D/A that is used exclusively to tow our 33ft/13K Cardinal 5th wheel. We just returned from a 3,000 mile trip from Tampa, Fl to Cedar Rapid's Iowa. I have very consistantly (for the past 22K miles) always gotten around 9.5 MPG (figured manually and adjusting for tire size). With the Quad, on the way to Iowa I was at level 2 (50 hp) and averaged 11.9. On the return trip I went to level 3 (70 hp), and averaged 12 MPG. The weather was dry and cool going north when we left, and warn to hot coming back.

On level 2, my EGT's peaked at around 1100 on some of the hills in North Ga. (I75)and I24 in Tennessee (including the pull over Mt Eagle), and jumped to right at 1200 in the same spots on the return trip on level 3. The "driveablilty" of the rig was much improved as it held 5th gear on the majority of the trip (except on the big hills), and the tranny temp never went above 180 degree's.

I was extreemely surprised and pleased at the results, both improved pulling capability and fuel mileage.

John