PDA

View Full Version : Tick

lafrance
05-30-2004, 21:03
I have a brand new LLY with 800km on it. Just did an oil change about 500km ago and am noticing the ticking noise described in other posts. I thought this had been rectified, but obviously still exists. Any fix or is it business as usual.
Thanks
Evan Miller

DmaxMaverick
05-30-2004, 22:13
The only fix from GM was in the form of language. It is apparent that they will do something about it "when they get around to it". In the meanwhile, they are standing behind the statement that it is just a noise, and is harmless. I have heard of no problems attributed to the tick. It can be annoying, but not nearly as bad as a cackle.

Austin 12345
12-08-2004, 18:22
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I logged on to this forum for the first time trying to find a fix for the "tick". Just purchased a 2005 dmax with the same issue at 70 miles on the odometer. ****es me off but what do I do? Other than this issue I Love this truck, AWESOME!

More Power
12-08-2004, 18:27
If it's any consolation, the ticking usually becomes less noticeable with more miles on the engine. Also, you'll notice it more soon after an oil change and for the next couple hundred miles. I think it has something to do with new oil gassing off. Then, you'll probably forget about it till the next oil change.

Maybe this is why GM upped the oil drain interval to 15K. :rolleyes:

MP

a bear
12-09-2004, 19:37
15K miles! When was that anounced?

CHVYMAN#9
12-09-2004, 21:13
I PULLED MY OWN 2001 APART AS A LAB RAT FOR THIS NOISE IN 2001 AND FOUND NOTHING WRONG. NOW WITH 42,000 ON IT THE NOISE IS GONE(AND TRUST ME IT WAS VERY LOUD WHEN NEW). ACCORDING TO GM IS NOT HARMFUL AND HAS TO DO WITH BUBBLES IN THE OIL. I DONT KNOW BUT I THRASH MINE IN LEVEL4 OF JUICE EVERDAY AND HAVE ALWAYS HAD GOOD OIL PSI ETC. DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE(AT LEAST WITHIN 5/100)IT WILL BE JUST FINE. IF THE MOTORS WEREN'T SOO QUIET YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR IT

Cliffee
12-10-2004, 07:53
My 03 started the "Tick" at around 3k. It went away around 20k and never returned. It was explained as bubbbles in the oil popping as they travel through the bearings. Nothing to worry about. My new 05 has it also. Its barely noticable. I don't think it will go away until the next new design engine comes around if ever.
Be thankful the Duramax is so quite you get to hear it!!!

Cheers

MICKD
12-13-2004, 05:40
My 03 had the "tick" as well. I have 28,000 miles on it and the tick is gone. I think it disapeared around 15-20,000 miles.

32dominator
12-20-2004, 12:15
I also question my dealer about this ticking noise(sounds like an old mechanical typewriter).
They told me that mostly all diesel motors have this noise, its just more noticable on the Duramax because its not as loud as others.

More Power
12-20-2004, 13:04
Here's a quote from GM:

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine.