PDA

View Full Version : OIL PRESSURE GAUGE

moedog
09-15-2003, 17:33
MY 6.5 HAS 55,000 MILES ON IT. SHOULD I CHANGE THE OIL PRESSURE (KILL THE ENGINE )GAUGE NOW?
WHAT BRAND DO YOU ALL RECOMMEND
AND ANY TIPS ON THE PROCEDURE?
THANKS
DAN

mhagie
09-16-2003, 09:20
modog, a little more specific please are you having issues w/gauge or sender? or both?
Or do you just want a aftermarket gauge?
I just installed a water & oil gauge set from Summit Racing they are green LED, man they look nice.
A pair on a post mount would be a nice addition.

cruzer
09-16-2003, 12:03
Don't you need the OPS so the lift pump operates?
I put a "T" where my switch was so I could hook up a manual gauge and keep the OPS. My gauges are Autometer.

moedog
09-16-2003, 18:02
SORRY GUYS, I GUESS I CONFUSED EVERYONE. IN THE PAST ON THE PAGE, I UNDERSTAND THERE IS AN OIL PRESSURE SWITCH THAT CAN FAIL AND FALSELY SEND A CODE TO THE COMPUTER THAT THERE IS NO OIL PRESSURE, THEREFORE THE COMPUTER SHUTS THE ENGINE DOWN. I MAY BE CALLING IT THE WRONG NAME!!!
THANKS
DAN

tom.mcinerney
09-16-2003, 20:18
Dan-On my '95 the OPS-oil pressure switch- energizes the lift pump when the engine makes oil pressure(when cranking before start, a separate 'fuel pump relay' powers up the lift pump). According to a post by 'JC'(GMCTD?), on the later 6.5s, the OPS signals the PCM(onboard 'puter) to turn on the lift pump. I would imagine the PCM activates a relay , which powers the lift pump, but not sure, no wire diagram those years.
On '95s renewing OPSs and installing relays to save the OPS contacts are big. On the later years the OPS should last indefinitely, but maybe want change out relay? Suggest search, find wiring relevant year...
ps: The OPS is a three terminal sender: one output to instrument panel gage, one like an idiot light switch, and one to fused power for switch.