PDA

View Full Version : boost stick pressures??

carco
11-04-2005, 16:44
Installed a boost stick last weekend, Thanks to John K. I seem to hear a little more turbo noise like turbo is working harder, say higher pressures? Has anyone measured the pre boost stick turbo pressures @x speed and loads VS the after BS turbo pressures @ speeds and loads as before BS?? I would guess unloaded about 2-3 PSI additional with boost stick?? what about loaded say 10000# up grade?? bob.........

aabbcc
11-04-2005, 23:13
Under load, boost rises crisply to about 30 PSI depending on tune.

BarryD
11-05-2005, 11:59
I use the Predator set on 65 and see 30-35 PSI.

AndyU
11-07-2005, 04:58
How does the BS affect fuel economy? Is there any downside?

Dr.Rick
11-07-2005, 09:57
I also run predator on 65 and recently installed the boost stick. I don't know if I did it right because it seemed to have a negative effect on power, and when I went on the road yesterday I was pulling a 2K trailer in a very stiff headwind. the mileage was terrible, about 9. I unplugged thye stick and the mileage jumped 2 mpg. I check it with pen and paper not dic. What gives??

rick roberts

Kennedy
11-09-2005, 09:56
Most of our feedback has been positive. The only issues that I've seen are when guys plug the connector in reversed. There is a dart in place to prevent this, but apparently some are removing it. We also have seen some "sneezing" or mild turbo barking on vehicles with functional EGR systems.

I will also point out that many modules like the Edge Juice are capable of producing more power that the stock transmission can handle. The Boost stick will increase power further. When the Edge sees slip it will back down and deliver reduced power to elimnate the slippage. It is my suggestion that the Edge not be operated at a power level greater than level 3 with a Boost Stick and a stock transmission. You will still have the power of the higher level, but with reduced EGT's and higher boost.

I updated my instruction page also:
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/booststickinstallation.pdf

carco
11-09-2005, 15:48
I tried a little WOT today and max boost pressure noted was 20 psi. (04.5 LLY) Reduced smoke was also noted thats good, this indicates less unburned fuel and thus more power produced. Also noted was a turbo "bark" last week so unplugged EGR to test, no turbo "bark" noted today in spirited and WOT driveing, no CEL either. thought I would see higher boost levels but much less smoke so the BS is doing the job!! bob............

aabbcc
11-09-2005, 16:09
Sounds like you are reading the boost from the Attitude. The Edge is behind the BS and in reading a modified signal. The "real" boost can only be measured at the manifold with a dedicated sensor like the SPA or a mchanical guage.

carco
11-09-2005, 16:39
aabbcc, thanks did not know this, yes, attitude reported boost pressures. bob............

carco
11-20-2005, 11:48
Have not figured real closely but this truck definetly is acheiving better fuel mileage which is good considering fuel is still over 2.80 @ most stations around here!! More power with stick and turbo bark was eliminated with the EGR unplugged. Better power, better mileage, no EGR into system = win, win, win!!! The best add on I've added! bob.............

Dr.Rick
11-20-2005, 17:08
I have a question- My 05 lly has 20 k miles on it I have used the boost stick with predator on 65 and received no turbo bark, less power, less mileage. I tried it with the standard program, (no predator) and same thing- less mileage ( about 2mpg ) and can't tell if it has any performance change, but anytime I plug this stick in I get an immediate reduction in mileage?? It also doesn't seem to be producing any performance changes - so I have checked the plugs and they are in correctly. Is it possible I have this plugged into the wrong sensor?? or could the stick be malfunctioning??
I have checked this for the last 1000 miles now and am needing you guys to help now.
Rick Roberts

mjammer
11-20-2005, 19:46
Dr. Rick - Call Kennedy directly to get the best/quickest response on this one.

Dr.Rick
11-20-2005, 20:42
Thanks- I will try tomorrow

Kennedy
11-21-2005, 07:10
First and foremost, be sure that you did not reverse the connections. While the ends are distinct and cannot be plugged in the wrong order, the plastic dart is in place to ensure that the rotation is correct on the black connector for both the BS and extension.

On edit: If the dart is still in place, drop me an email to john@kennedydiesel.com and I'll issue an RMA so that you can send it in for exchange.

[ 11-21-2005, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]