PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure with Amsoil dual remote bypass

chuntag95
01-04-2003, 17:06
I just installed the remote bypass system on my truck. The pressure has dropped when it is hot. I used to run about 37 and now it is 28-30.
What are the rest of you getting?
Did you see a pressure drop with the addition?
Those that tried the 5-30 oil, did you see a pressure drop?
Is there anything I could have done wrong?

hdmax(mike)
01-04-2003, 18:00
Mine run about 35-45 at idle when at operating temperture. But still hits 80+ at first startup cold. And 60-70 psi normal operating temperture driving 65 mph. I have never seen it drop below 35 psi. But these trucks are different, and oil pressure will not all be the same.

Yes I did see a drop after the amsoil dual bypass was installed. (Maybe 10 psi) I use the 3000 series heavy duty oil for diesel engines.

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: hdmax(mike) ]</p>

chuntag95
01-04-2003, 23:11
Thanks Mike, I just wanted to see if a pressure drop was normal. Mine seems about 8-10 psi as well. That actually makes some sense now that I think about it. If the filter is the most restrictive point in the system, then having two it should be less restrictive. Less restriction means lower pressure. I have been considering a separate oil temp and pressure gauge after reading some of the variation others see vs. the gauge in the dash. Pressure when cold seemed to be the same.

Chris

stretch
01-05-2003, 07:35
Oil pressure readings are dependant upon where you are reading from. I don't know at what point the oil pressure is read from but I would not like seeing a pressure drop due to the addition of an oil filter. I would think its possible that the additional filter is restricting the oil pumps ability to scavenge oil from the sump, therefore reducing the volume of oil that is flowing to the bearings and so on reducing the overall pressure reading. I would look into a schematic of the oil galleries and at what point the oil is being filtered. I can't imagine an oil filter being the largest restriction in the oiling system, that should be the main,rod and cam bearings. Looser tolerances there reduce oil pressure, not a good thing. I am not trying to imply that what I am saying is gospel but just interjecting something to look into before accepting a pressure drop as being OK. It may be fine.... :confused:

FirstDiesel
01-05-2003, 08:55
I think what they are seeing is perfectly normal. Add an oil cooler to one of my sportscars results in seeing a lower oil pressure. Exactly why I'm not sure but it does.

Maverick
01-05-2003, 18:14
I run Amsoil 5w-30 in both trucks and it did drop a little. The oil is thinner and therefore less resrictive thus lower oil pressure. The stock gauges will vary truck to truck. None seem to be the same.