PDA

View Full Version : single glow plug out

vandej
03-22-2004, 06:00
Can a single glow plug that doesn't work cause hard starting problems at 20 - 30 degree outside air temperatures and a lot of white smoke for a good minute or two? I have to crank for 10 - 15 seconds before it starts. The glow plug light comes on once or twice after starting before it starts to run smoother.

The glow plug that is out is the one behind the down pipe from the turbo. I changed all plugs but couldn't get this one out cause it had expanded. I ran out of time so just put everything back together cause I needed to use the truck the next morning.

Thanks,
Jason

toyboxrv
03-22-2004, 06:29
Right now I have 1 glow plug out and at 20* outside it starts fine, but one cylinder takes 5 - 10 secs to fire and run smoothly. If your getting a lot of white smoke you probably have some other problem as well.

Wheat Whacker
03-23-2004, 18:16
No mine with 2 plugs out will start at 0 degrees. One plug shouldn't affect you that much.

charliepeterson
03-23-2004, 18:47
Another trick is to unplug the water temperature switch. It's up front, on top, in the water pipe going from head to head, probably to the left of the thermostat.

This tells the computer the water temp. is -40* helping the truck to start by keeping the glow plugs on really long. If this sensor is original it could be failing. One bad glow plug should not keep the truck from starting but if the glow plugs turn off too soon?

Kidd
03-23-2004, 18:52
Had one plug out for a while this winter, truck would stumble after starting for a minute or two, and lots of white smoke till the cylinder warmed enough to fire. Once it got warm enough to change that last plug, its been good.
KD