PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light indications

Rocinante
11-01-2005, 07:44
Hi,
I had posted earlier about my check engine light coming on. It stayed on for 1 day and then has not come on since. I know it indicates that I had (have) a problem, but my question is, if the light stays out, does this mean that the problem that occurred is no longer happening or is it that I have been warned and the light no longer comes on even though the problem is still happening? :confused:

Thanks

Rocinante
11-04-2005, 07:59
Hi,
I am surprised that no one replied to my question. Is it too dumb or too difficult? It seemed to me to be a straightforward question that I have wondered about ever since "check engine" lights came on the automotive scene.
:confused:

chipper
11-04-2005, 08:17
No such thing as dumd questions. It probably means that you had a problem that is no longer there. Unless the light comes on again I wouldn't worry about it. If it comes on again Auto Zone will give you a free code readout.

Rocinante
11-07-2005, 06:32
Here is GM's web site for all DTCs from 1995 to 2004 for all GM vehicles including the 6.6 Duramax:
http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/index.html
It can be downloaded in a .PDF (Adobe reader) file and saved to your hard drive.
This may help us find out what's wrong when the CEL (check engine light) comes on and you have a code reader. smile.gif

nutfarm
11-10-2005, 09:23
I had a similar problem on my '02 (50K). I was on a trip and had the light come on. Before reaching the nearest dealership, the light went out. They said injector #5 had been out of tollerance, but would be O.K. to make it home, just keep checking the oil. At the dealership at home, the service manager said that there was no action need unless the light came on again.

No problems since.