PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

Grizz272
01-02-2003, 19:53
I want to thank everyone for being so helpful to a newbie. I changed the rear end lube today and it was the cr@$$#$#iest looking fluid I have ever seen. I would have been worried if I had not seen the discriprtions here. The way the voltage gauge works at start up would also have been something I would have been concerned about but again I was expecting it after ready this board. Any thing else a new Duramax owner should know?
I can't wait for some camping weather so I try towing with this beast.

Grizz :D

drthv8r
01-02-2003, 22:25
If you haven't changed your oil yet. Wait till you try to get the oil filter off... smile.gif .

TraceF
01-03-2003, 07:28
No kidding about the filter. I strained my milk until it looked like vinegar twistin on the damn thing and I'm 6'/200. They must put them on with a filter wrench with a 18" handle.

IndigoDually
01-03-2003, 08:07
When You try to remove the oil filter, try using multiple wrenches. So far I have broken 3 oil filter wrenches. I have tried one of those metal caps that slips on the end of the filter, and WOW do they hurt when they slip off. It rounded the grooves off the filter then hit me in the side of the head, my temple hurt for a day whenever I closed my mouth. The filters are self-tightening. You don't think that You made it that tight until You try to remove it.

Good Luck and have a supply of filter wrenches on hand including a strap wrench to remove the fuel filter.

John

[ 01-03-2003: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

Bass_on_tap
01-03-2003, 08:16
The oil filter can be a bugger. I'm 6'5" and 250 and I was unsucessful using a strap wrench, oil filter wrench and a chain type strap wrench. I finally used a super large slip pliar and crushed the filter while turning it but got it off. Good luck and listen for the "TICK" afterwards. Always a concern but if you've read or searched here, you'll find it to be "common" if not normal. Good luck with the truck. Dave

Road Kill
01-03-2003, 08:32
The people on this forum have helped meny, meny, newbies. That is just one of things that makes this forum the best. Good luck with your truck. smile.gif

Turbo Al
01-03-2003, 17:27
Grizz272: Welcome & over on the 2500HD/3500HD Trucks + drivetrain forum I brought a couple of threads on the rear diff. Much more via is accessable via the search button.

Grizz272
01-03-2003, 22:43
Does changing the oil filter get easier with the second filter? Would adding a little never-sease on the threads help?

ChevysRus
01-04-2003, 00:22
Nawww, don't worry about the second and later filters, it's just that first one put on by the 800 lb. Gorilla at the factory. Someone must have told him "if it leaks you are fired" LOL ;)

After getting that one off no one would ever tighten the second or later ones that tight again LOL

Have Fun

Idle_Chatter
01-04-2003, 09:48
Grizz, I'm afraid that the second, third, fourth and every filter you put on will be a bear to remove. The DMax has a funny way of vulcanizing the rubber gasket to the face of the filter housing and you have to spin the cartridge off the o-ring to remove them. Never-Seez on the threads is not the trick. I tried a little Never-Seez on the gasket face last time instead of oil and will let you know how that works out in a couple thousand miles. Welcome, and you are going to find a ton of great information and a lot of support here.

TraceF
01-04-2003, 10:01
Also, I think since the filter is designed to take so much pressure the 1-1 1/4 turns after contact has something to do with it. The filter on my car only gets 1/4 to 1/2 turns after contact.

NoMo
01-04-2003, 10:27
People here are very helpful indeed- thanks from this newbie too!

As for the oil filter & drain plug, I just completed my second oil change and neither has been difficult at all. Perhaps I didn't get the self-tightening feature? tongue.gif

AKDmax
01-04-2003, 12:11
IndigoDually, bet you wont do that again. Had to chuckle a little on that one. Sorry!
Grizz272,
Do yourself a favor and get a Fumoto valve to makes things a little easier. I have found that a strap wrench like Sears sells works fairly well if you keep the strap close to the base of the filter. (closest to the filter housing) Dont forget to have a spare fuel filter (just in case).
This site is the Greatest!

Grizz272
01-05-2003, 10:22
AKDmax

I ordered the Fumotovalve before the truck got here. It is setting on the shelf waiting for the first oil change. I have almost 1000 miles on the truck now, when I checked the oil this morning and it has not even changed color yet. By the way when should the first oil change take place I know when the dealer says but what is the thoughts on this board? How long has GM been using a steel cable for a dip stick? I have never seen that before?

Grizz272

OC_DMAX
01-05-2003, 10:35
Don't go by the color of the oil on the dipstick. Wherever the dipstick measures the oil at, that oil must not get circulated. The oil in your oil pan is definetly black by now. I performed my first oil change at 1000 miles. I installed the Fumoto valve at that time. A great aftermarket add-on.

chrisinkanata
01-07-2003, 19:26
Having been in the automotive trade for many years, I have learned a quick little 'trick' for easier oil filter removal.....when installing a new filter, I lube the seal with Vasoline. May not do you much good if someone else has installed the filter, but if you have installed your own with this, it seems to work.

I learned this while servicing 1981 4.9 litre turbo Firebirds. Don't know what it was about those little filters, but they would be nearly welded on. Lots of repeat customers so I got to try it over and over. Never had a problem with one that I had installed using the Vasoline.

On the 6 or 7 oil changes I have done on my 6.6, no problem at all and no leakage.

a bear
01-07-2003, 19:41
Try 1 turn after gasket contact then back it off 1/8 of an inch (not 1/8 of a round) It will take the torque out of the seal. Will give you easier removal and a better seal.

Dmaxducker
01-07-2003, 22:52
I followed the Amsoil instructions too yesterday when I replaced the oil filter - did the 1 full turn then backed off 1/8". We'll see how this works when removing this one in a couple months. FYI - the same strap filter wrench I used to replace the fuel filter worked great on removing the oil filter.

Kennedy
01-07-2003, 23:46
I haven't used my strap wrench since the first removal and early on when the thick gasketed Baldwin filters would weep. Since then I've done it by hand.