PDA

View Full Version : liftpump relay??

James Schaack
12-11-2003, 20:08
hey guys,

i searched for my answer but couldn't find what i was looking for. after reading everyone's posts about liftpumps, i figured i better check mine because i never hear any type of pump clicking when i turn the key on. well, i check and sure enough it wasn't making any noise, so i held onto the pump while i turned the key back on (god bless being 6'5") and i still didn't feel anything. so, i did like the R&R manual said and touched the lift pump fuse to one of the positive posts on the firewall and to my suprise, the lift pump ran like a champ. are these liftpumps controlled by some type of relay that may have gone bad? is there something i am missing?? any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

James

Turbine Doc
12-11-2003, 20:23
James check this link out you could be having oil press switch bad which turns on the relay.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004860

James Schaack
12-12-2003, 15:45
tim,

thanks for the link, i will make that modification over christmas break :D along with the mod, is there any good methods of testing the OPS and liftpump relay? today i felt the pump with the truck at idle and it was not functioning, so i'm guessing it may be the OPS. also, where are the two located? i was reading a post that said the OPS was somewhere on the driver's side towards the cab. is it the piece with the plug sticking out underneath the glowplug controller??

thanks

james

James Schaack
12-13-2003, 16:17
well, i replaced the OPS today and that seemed to do the trick smile.gif the liftpump will now run after the truck has been started, but it is still not running before i start. i am going to replace the relay tomorrow and see if that takes care of the problem.

james

Barry Nave
12-13-2003, 20:11
Before start the pump won't run. When cranking the pump will run,the OPS will build psi and the pump will start working. When I change fuel filter in my 95 I can go to drive and turn key to start and the lift pump will run to blead air from filter.

[ 12-13-2003, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

BuffaloGuy
12-13-2003, 20:27
The '93's with manual trans. are different. Near as I can tell (I have a fuel pressure gauge plumbed in full time) the starter circut powers the lift pump and upon start-up (and release of the key) the OPS then powers it. I noticed if the motor starts right away that there is actually about 2 or 3 seconds when there is no fuel pressure. Then the OPS kicks in and all is well.

The only time you can hear the lift pump on a '93 is at shut down. It will run until the oil pressure falls off. The rest of the time the motor is too loud.

Ken

James Schaack
12-13-2003, 22:18
thanks for the replies fellas! i guess it sounds like the system is working the way it is supposed to, learn something new every day!!! god bless TDP!!!

thanks again,

james