PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Temp Sensor

Fredeberle
03-20-2004, 15:11
Another newbie here,
Ready to install gauges and notice the isspro kit has a 1/2 NPT fitting enclosed. Can I braze a piece of 1/2 brass coupling to the tranny pan for the sender ? That way I hope to have a drain plug & sensor holder all in one.
Thanks for a great site and all the useful info.
Fred

MTTwister
03-20-2004, 17:12
I just got a 2WD tranny pan from GM - Took them a week plus to do a nation wide search!

The 2WD has a drain plug, but, I haven't pulled the plug out of the it yet, initially looks like a smaller thread. If you have the ready resources, drilling your own pan would be a good way to temp probe, and future drains for the pan.

Another option, is to put a 'street Tee' in the tranny cooler line that goes to the Rad - it's alledgedly the hottest point of the oil.

Are you also considering Synthetic during your Tranny pan swap? I have my pan, but the guages are awaiting the 'downpipe' (only :rolleyes: - have to do a cheap job - thanks leaky roof).

Anyhoo - Don't be looking for a ready replacement from GM for the pan - do your own thing!

Enjoy the day - we've a nice couple of ones here!

[ 03-20-2004, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

tanker
03-21-2004, 03:46
Don't braze or weld the pan unless you can secure it to an old transmission case/housing. Mine warped and I could not use it. Went to my GM dealer and bought a new 2 whl/drive pan (less $$ than the gasket) with a drain plug, but it was a different strange thread. I put in a tee on the cooler line, using steel hydraulic fittinngs. Don't use brass compression fittings, they will leak. :eek:

Cooperrw
03-21-2004, 04:31
I used a tee fitting and put it in the line going to the radiator, so far no leaks from the brass fitting. (knock on wood) :cool:

tanker
03-21-2004, 07:30
River Rat, Keep an eye on your brass fittings, because of vibration (not line pressure) they tend to leak on those steel lines. Brass is soft and the compression sleeve will deform from vibration and start leaking. You can tighten it each time, but after that it will not hold. Steel hydrauic compression sleeves seem to stay forever. Only a suggestion from someone who's been there. ;)

Fredeberle
03-21-2004, 07:44
Thanks for the answers, guys.
I should have known if it was that easy, you would have done it long ago.
Going to hold off on the synthetic for the moment.
Just had all fluids changed 10,000K ago and not sure how to get all the old fluid out!
Haven't done any of this kind of stuff in many years (50s-60s)and it's a bit tough laying on the ground so will take it slowly.
Where do I get those steel hydralic fittings, auto store? I put a brass T in between them correct?
As long as you get to see the day it's a great one!
Fred

tanker
03-21-2004, 09:00
Check with a hydraulic supply house, or a "Parker" supplier. Any place that makes hydraulic hoses would either have them or can get them. I used two male connector's and a large brass pipe tee. You don't want to bottom out the sending unit.
For a complete ATF ca\hange, just remove the cooler return to transmission line and slip a piece of clear flex hose over the fitting and place the other end into a 5 gal pail. Drain and remove the pan and filter, clean and replace, then add about 4 quarts of ATF, start engine and it will pump out the old, while you keep adding fresh fluid. When you see the dark color in the clear flex hose change to a bright red, stop and reconnect the cooler line, and check the fluid level. Drive around until it gets hot, and recheck for proper level and leaks. A good set of non-collapsing ramps, made from several 2" x 6" wood with a stop-block on top will allow you easy access under your truck. Even us ole timers can do it without much trouble. :D

Fredeberle
03-23-2004, 07:47
Once again"thanks guys."
tanker: have all the parts on hand now.Did you use anything on the threads? hydralic supply place recommended RTV silicone.
I bought a set of steel ramps and now that I have some goodies,"kennedy 3.5 exhaust & downpipe,turbo tech crossover, 3 gauges & pillar pod" I just need some warm weather to work on it.
Cold kills me with hand arthritis!
This site has my head spinning with all the info and I can't wait for the new postings each day.

Cooperrw
03-23-2004, 15:46
Thanks for the info Tanker, I'll keep an eye on them. :cool: