PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter change interval

pscott
01-24-2005, 10:04
I recently bought a 2004.5 duramax
What is the most reasonable fuel filter change interval... I was aiming at every other oil change??? Does this sound right

mdrag
01-24-2005, 10:18
pscott,

Welcome to TDP forums. Opinions vary on the best 'anything' :D Try a search of the forums for 'fuel filter' and you will find hours of reading....

IMHO based on cut-open inspection of every fuel filter that I've removed from my truck, I'd recommend no more that 7.5K between fuel filter changes. IIRC, the GM recommended interval was 15k for the 01/02 trucks, and then GM decreased the recommendation to either 10k or 12k.

This weekend, I changed the fuel filter with approx 5k /3.5 months on it. The media was 98% used up with obvious rusting of the interior of the filter case...

pscott
01-24-2005, 11:19
Thank you very much for the response... I have already enjoyed reading the forum... Lots of good information in here.

I have two somewhat unrelated questions, then I will leave you alone smile.gif
First, what type of transmission fluid is recommended in my Allison, and when removing the spin off filter, how much will i need to replinish? I have heard differing opinions.

My second question is more for appearance, I am considering putting some roof maker lamps on my 2500HD... However, i have heard that if they are not installed at the factory, they will always leak. Opinion?

More Power
01-24-2005, 12:17
GM recommends Dextron III automatic transmission fluid for the Allison. Should take 7-10 quarts when draining the trans pan and replacing the Allison spin-on filter. If you're doing this yourself, use a catch-pan so you'll know how much approximately drained out. Don't forget to transfer the magnetic ring from the old Allison spin-on filter to the replacement filter (you'll see it once the old filter has been removed - it's stuck to the inside top of the old filter).

MP

Chevy2DMAX
02-06-2005, 10:48
My 2004 owners manual shows a 15,000 fuel filter change. Does the 2005 manual show the 10 or 12?

madmatt
02-07-2005, 19:15
GM Dealerworld says 15K or when the change fuel filter message appears on the DIC. I recommend 10-12K. I'm not trying to open up any cans-o--worm w/ this but I recommend to my customers 5K oil changes w/ a fuel filter every other service.

carco
02-08-2005, 15:48
madmatt, not in a dealership but that is our suggested interval also, seems to work very well and is easy to remember for the customer! bob ....

madmatt
02-08-2005, 19:04
yeah so far it's worked out real good. Also I noticed a comment in another post by you that stated you lived in Layfatte. Well let me tell ya, i've spent many hours @ the CAT large engine assembly plant in West La straightening out some of CAT's messes and absoloutly loved it. are you familiar w/ the place?

Nix
02-08-2005, 22:01
Speaking of fuel filters, how tight does it need to be? I seem to recall a post stating 2 turns past hand tight ? but after several hours of searching I couldn't find the post.

chipper
02-09-2005, 09:36
Nix,
I give mine 1/2 to 3/4 turn past hand tight, never had a leak yet.

carco
02-09-2005, 15:22
Madmatt, I toured the Cat plant once, shortly after production was started long time ago. Sure was neat seeing camshafts +/- the size of 4 and v6 cranshafts!! Pistons nearly as big as 5 gal bucketts!! Those big engines are running fast if they reach 1000-1200rpm, neat place. What did you do there?? bob......... Where in S. Ind. are you now if you don't mind saying?? Have a good friend in Elnora.

Nix
02-10-2005, 00:54
Thanks Chipper

madmatt
02-11-2005, 07:51
failure analist mainly although did help out when faulty parts made their way into engines and had to be replaced. a couple years ago we replaced a ton of bad liners that ended up in a bunch of new engines. Also did some of those in the field.

Kennedy
02-12-2005, 06:45
I try to coincide my fuel filter changes with oil changes. I did mine at 3k on my 2005, and was surprised how dirty it was till I thought about how dirty new hose, new plastics etc are. My first change on my 2002 was at 6k, and after changing I could feel the difference!

I now do my 2002 and 2005 at 7-8k when I change my Delvac1 and filter(s) Personally, I think 10k is max, and 7-8k (50% of GM recommended) is best based on the poor quality of fuel we see, and the number of people exhibiting symptoms of restriction at, or just over the 15k mark...