PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Buyers Remorse

tully_mars
09-24-2005, 04:15
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2006 LT 6-speed Duramax Allison Chevy 4 door crew cab. I like the lines on the GM Trucks and had been wanting a crew. Plus, the Allison transmission really drew me in. My dad has an 04 3500 dump truck Duramax Allison and it runs great. I sold my 2001 Ford PowerStroke XLT extended cab (suicide doors) to upgrade.

I figured by now GM / Isuzu really had the Duramax lined out, but after reading and searching it doesn't seem many folks are getting more than 100k miles before some major issues start popping up. In the Ford world I know of several 7.3 PSDs that are running perfect at 200k miles without major issues such as injectors etc...

Are this Duramaxs short term trucks? What about the commercial guys getting several hundred k out of them?

Thanks

Tully Mars

LanduytG
09-24-2005, 04:32
Their is no doubt about it that the 7.3L Power Stroke was a work horse with few problems. But the new 6.0L is a different story. That motor cost Navistar 55 million in warranty repair the first model year. It has gone down since, but still way to many issues.

As for the Duramax it has had issues with injectors but I think that is coming around now. I guess I am not sure what you mean by major problems.

Their are many members here that have had 10's of thousands of trouble free miles. I myself have and 04.5 LLY with 46K on the clock and the only thing I have had done is the ECM reflashed with the latest updated software.

You will love the Duramax/Allison and I would just drive and enjoy. Keep the fuel filters changed ever 10K and it will be happy.

Greg

VANDAL 7
09-24-2005, 05:37
I just ordered a 06 duramax, 6 speed auto allison, 4DR,4WD, LT3. I will probably get the LBZ since my truck hasn't been built yet. I am anxcious to see how yours performs in regards to power and economy. Is your 06 the LLY or LBZ?

Turbo Al
09-24-2005, 07:57
OK, Does anyone know if Chev is still making the claim that the motor is good for approx 200,000 miles before needing a rebuild?? That was there claim in 01. Or did they (are they) hiding this fact from everyone now??
Al

DmaxMaverick
09-24-2005, 10:01
tully_mars

This is a common concern brought up by many new owners. I think it's an example of "too much information". We need to keep things in perspective.

Most folks find there way to sites, like TDP, because they have an existing problem and searced it out. It's not often we read about an owner that's been truckin' along for many miles without issues. It's just not newsworthy.

It's been shown the Duramax, since it's inception, has been one of the most successful new designs to come along, ever. As far as longevity goes, I have yet to hear about someone that's had to retire an engine. A couple have grenaded, but usually involved their quest for too much power. JK has been beating up his 2002 since new, and it's still holding up well. This truck was the most powerful and fastest to show up in SLC earlier this month, and this was against the best offered by all brands.

There will be failures of all types. These things are designed and built by men, and they all can't be carbon copies. Some substandard parts will filter through. Durability and reliability claims can't be topped by the other two brands. The Duramax is still young, but has a very promising future.

Many ongoing complaints you will read about here are more the fault of some incompetent or unwilling dealer service shops. Their inability to accurately diagnose and repair reletively simple issues get blown out of proportion. Injectors have been an issue with early production engines, but GM, finally, did the right thing in the end. I've had all the injectors replaced on mine, but that has been the only significant issue I've had in over 95K miles. It is stronger and more economical now than the day I drove it off the lot.

The level of complaints found on forums, including this one, are very skewed. It takes only one "oh s***" to diminish 10 "atta boys". If you look for problems, you will find them. Whether they actually exist or not.

Welcome to The Diesel Page! I hope we can cure your "buyer's remorse" with some reassurance. Ask questions and deal with issues as they surface, if they ever do.

tully_mars
09-25-2005, 12:00
I have the LLY engine, 310hp 605 torque. Would have liked to have had the new 650 torque motor but I don't think employee pricing would have been available. Plus, I already have an 80 foot/lbs more torque anyway over my 7.3.

I just always had the confidence knowing many people that had gone to 400k miles before turbos and injectors wore out on the engines. They might be in for 1 or 2 trannies in that amount of time, but the Powerstrokes I have known, and it is quite a few, have all been bullet proof.

Like I said, my Dad's Duramax dump truck has impressed me and I like the sound of the Allison tranny. Just had to get one. Just bumming to not hear any 400k stories in the last 5 years.

Blue Bell Ice Cream in our area uses International medium duty trucks for deliveries. These trucks are equiped with the T444e engine which is the Powerstroke. They run them 350k miles and then sell them. Rarely do they have any issues with them, and it takes about 3 to 4 years to run out a truck.

Tully Mars

carco
09-28-2005, 14:39
tully-mars
You mentioned the IHC T444E engine in the medium duty trucks. This engine @ one time was the the least warranty problem engine Navistar was selling, per a local dealer, better even than the industry leading reliable DT466. However, that said, the dealer also said the warranty problems of the 7.3L sold through Ford had a much higher warranty problem than the T444E! Ford programming and higher power outputs take their toll on the 7.3L. Yes, the Powerstroke has produced good service but not w/out problems, fuel pumps, injectors, IDM's, cackle, cylinder cavitation, sensors and others. They all have problems. The Duramax has problems also, but it has proven to be very good so far, is improveing and probably will show to be one of the best over the next few years. bob.............

FleetFilter.com
09-28-2005, 15:41
Ford, Chevy, and Dodge all have their problems. For all the guff I hear about the 6.0, mine's been fantastic and I'm at 63k miles with no major issues.

It's about care. If you take care of your stuff, it'll last. You'll get some of the "normal" issues that occur for your make/model/year, but you're in good odds against your motor seizing.

Buy what you like, take care of it - it'll last as long as you want to keep it. Regardless of who made it.

Tough Guy
09-29-2005, 18:32
Who sells the most Diesel trucks?

I would imagine thats who will have the most "perceived" problems....

Chris