PDA

View Full Version : SES light - middle of nowhere

torque
10-11-2005, 08:08
I left Richfield, Utah yesterday and the SES light came on. I called Onstar and she said I had some "air intake problem, take it in within 7 days".
The truck runs fine, my air cleaner is OK, I wasn't running the chip, and disconnecting the batteries doesn't help.
I'm in Moab which is a long ways from any dealer, anybody had a similiar problem?
Any help would be appreciated, I'll check back after me and the KTM see some dirt.
Thanks

Jim Brzozowski
10-11-2005, 08:31
Wish I was riding with you, thats beautiful riding country. There is no chevy dealer there, but I found the Local Napa dealer very helpful and stocks a lot of parts, even loaned me some specialty tools one time I had to use his services. Its right off the main drag downtown about a block. OnStar is supposed to be able to diagnose the problem, Next time ask them if they regesterd a trouble code number. If they give you that someone here can help. Does it come back on when you restart the truck, just for grins check the mass air flow sensor near the air cleaner it may be pluged with something. Good Luck.

Inspector
10-12-2005, 12:16
I get an SES light as well only when towing. I have removed the CAT and am running edge with attitude on level 1 or 2. I generally only drive at 65mph when towing so the trans will shift in and out of OD fairly often here in the west. That is when I get the light. After a few key cycles it will reset but remain locked in memory. The dealer has read it and the last time i was a Mass air Flow error. This last time out I got the msg again and as usual it reset. I will go into the dealer to have it read again next week. You said that you got the light near Richfield Ut. It just so happens that is where I got my last msg towing westbound on 70 after a side trip to Monroe Ut. to visit a good friend. Yes I have gotten this SES light more than a few times. It never affects performance.
Without the CAT, in my opinion, it could be an airflow or backpressure sensing thing dealing with EGR or mass airflow. I can drive for miles up and down mountains in high power needs and not set the light or it will set it just going up an on ramp or cruizing down a flat highway. Go figure. I sure don't like towing with the CAT installed I'll tell you that.
Denny

Willy B
10-18-2005, 07:15
I get the SAS light when my fuel tank reaches 1/2.It happen more then one time the last 3 times for sure.When I fill up the light clears.Does anyone else have this happening?

Kennedy
10-18-2005, 12:28
Originally posted by Willy B:
I get the SAS light when my fuel tank reaches 1/2.It happen more then one time the last 3 times for sure.When I fill up the light clears.Does anyone else have this happening? Could be a sign of a restricting fuel filter.