PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Duramax

4X496Dooley
07-21-2003, 23:38
What is the latest news on the 2004 Duramax motor upgrades? Ready to buy now, but will wait if the power is increased.

koolgt
07-22-2003, 01:27
well u have the new turbo geritt, veined turbo so u have boost from idle, u have newly designed heads, different fuel injection system, and the engine is taller, there is some moving around of parts and better organized engine..thats all i know of as of now...or as much as im aloud to know:)

sonofagun
07-22-2003, 10:24
toolgt,

Can you tell us more about the items you mentioned? And what is a turbo geritt?

Thanks,
Bob

britannic
07-22-2003, 10:51
well u have the new turbo geritt, veined turbo so u have boost from idle I think this is actually:

The new Garrett variable vane turbo to provide boost from idle :D ...

hoot
07-22-2003, 11:19
Different fuel injection system?

I wonder what they are up to with that? Maybe just different injectors?

svpdiesel
07-22-2003, 11:38
I read here somewhere, that the injector/cylinder head interface has been redesigned to allow easier removal of the injectors, and keep any fuel leaks out of the crankcase. Don't know if the injector's functional parts are changed. And the turbo IS a Garrett (mfr) variable-vane unit.
I want one. or two. :D
Steve

koolgt
07-22-2003, 13:18
the turbo is a gerritt veined turbo sorry...the valve covers are actually molded in a way to provide easier removal of the injector, and i have heard, but not possitive about the injection area, it has something to do with it being actually pressurized instead of forced or something around those line

YZF1R
07-22-2003, 17:25
Quote from koolgt post directly above: "but not possitive about the injection area, it has something to do with it being actually pressurized instead of forced or something around those line."

Could it be a lift pump? ;)

Steve

[ 07-22-2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: YZF1R ]

dmaxalliTech
07-22-2003, 22:09
will use variable displacement turbo, electronically controlled.

will use egr and cats on all trucks, not just CA trucks

will use external injectors as stated above, heads/ rocker covers will be redesigned to accept.

will use individual glow plug controls instead of buss bars on each bank of plugs

fuel rails will be redesigned, no more splitter block, moved to accomodate egr and injector setup

additional 9 (IIRC) dtc's. I think there will be more then that though..

koolgt
07-23-2003, 01:27
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:

will use external injectors as stated above, heads/ rocker covers will be redesigned to accept.

will use individual glow plug controls instead of buss bars on each bank of plugs

fuel rails will be redesigned, no more splitter block, moved to accomodate egr and injector setup

additional 9 (IIRC) dtc's. I think there will be more then that though.. yeah i forgot about all that..it will be just like a california engine..all the 04's will be 50 state compliant:)

Diesel Dog
07-23-2003, 01:56
More power? Or just tree hugger friendly?

hoot
07-23-2003, 05:40
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:

additional 9 (IIRC) dtc's. I think there will be more then that though.. dmaxalliTech,

So the injection system is staying basically the same?

I would think they would have to use a modified or different injector since the upper portion will be exposed. Or they might have come up with some kind of cover to protect the wires and lines?

BTW: your input on this (past and present) is greatly appreciated smile.gif

sonofagun
07-23-2003, 08:14
dmaxallitech,

EGR AND CAT!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/rough/twak.gif

Nuts. I like the Garrett though.

Bob

koolgt
07-23-2003, 09:23
Originally posted by Diesel Dog:
More power? Or just tree hugger friendly? there still will be more power in this engine...when they test them, they havent lost any power, its just more expensive junk to fix lol, and i wouldnt hold ur breath cause there not supposed to start producing them intil january...initially it was november, but it keeps getting pushed back

mackin
07-23-2003, 09:36
Wonder if we will experience the lack of low end grunt with the variable displacement turbo as the Ford camp has suggested ??

Mac :eek:

dmaxalliTech
07-23-2003, 09:49
Originally posted by mackin:
Wonder if we will experience the lack of low end grunt with the variable displacement turbo as the Ford camp has suggested ??

Mac :eek: I hope so..

Hoot, I think the injection system will be basically the same, I am sure the injectors will be redesigned to accomodate there new mountings. I think the biggest reason for change is for 2006 epa standards, same reason ford went to 6.0

sonofagun
07-23-2003, 11:38
koolgt, Dmaxalli,

January? If I've ordered an '04 do I get the old ('03) drivetrain or do I wait unit January to get my truck off the line?

bob

a64pilot
07-23-2003, 12:52
Mac,
Varible displacement turbo should improve low end grunt, maybe the Ford is a high strung engine and Ford counted on the turbo to make up for the loss of low end power and it just didn't quite make it ;)
I don't want to start any arguments here, but bigger displacement engines usually produce more usable power down low and 6.0 ain't very big especially if your used to 7.3

koolgt
07-23-2003, 13:31
Originally posted by son of a gun:
koolgt, Dmaxalli,

January? If I've ordered an '04 do I get the old ('03) drivetrain or do I wait unit January to get my truck off the line?

bob im not sure about the drivetrain, but i know that they are going to start producing the new 04i duramax in january, but im not sure how long it will take them to get to the truck plant once there produced, sorry im not much more help

koolgt
07-24-2003, 01:29
just found out tonight that by dec 18th at the latest, they will start production of the 04i engine..so give it a month or so to filter through the system, to get to the dealers

Doc Robbs
07-24-2003, 20:07
Son of a Gun

When I ordered my 2004 I didn't know about the new engine. The dealer didn't know about it either but it came up as a choice on his computer. He did know what the codes meant. Somehow he didn't know about the 3500 SRW but that is another story.

When you order it the dealer should be able to specify. ( at least mine did) Thanks to this page I was able to find out the details and decided to wait. But boy am I getting impatient.

Doc Robbs

Maverick
07-24-2003, 20:33
koolgt,
Glad your here. Good to have someone here in your postion. Keep it up.

koolgt
07-25-2003, 01:22
Originally posted by Maverick:
koolgt,
Glad your here. Good to have someone here in your postion. Keep it up. i try to help cause i know every is full of questions, but i just dont wanna give away too much info:) so sometimes i gotta watch what i say

DmaxMaverick
07-25-2003, 01:45

We won't tell :D

mackin
07-25-2003, 07:31
Take a peek see if they changed the fuel filtering at all ..... ;)

Come back and whisper ,I think the Brass at GM are hard of hearing anyway ..... :rolleyes:

Mac :D :D :D

sonofagun
07-25-2003, 10:59
Doc,

Do I understand you to mean that you had to chose the new (modified) engine by code? If so that probably means no truck until February or so if koolgt's data is correct, right?????????

My dealer did not mention a separate DMAX code as an option when I ordered mine. I wish these guys (dealers and service reps) spoke a common language that I could understand!

Bob

77TransAm
07-25-2003, 13:57
RPO on current production Duramax is LB7.
RPO on 2004i upgraded Duramax is LLY.
The Allison will also have mid-year changes that should be transparent to the driver.

sonofagun
07-25-2003, 14:26

Thanks. This goes back to my earlier comment about the dealers often not having a clue. I have ordered an LB7 and it's too late to put a wait for the LLY on that order. The fleet guy at the dealership, from whom I have bought 5 trucks, said REALLY??? A NEW MOTOR???. I could have easily waited. I never had any problems with my '01 but new and improved on the injectors and the turbo would have been nice. Bet I get a cat though!!

Bob

D-max Man
07-28-2003, 10:15
Hoot,

The injectors are functionally the same but they are not exactly the same as the current injectors.

The current injectors have the fuel supply line coming n to the top of the injector and a steel return pipe bolted to the side. The new injectors (which can be removed without removing the valve cover) have the supply line entering the side and the return comes out the top. The return lines are braded hoses like are used in many other diesel applications (not an issue as the stock system only has Max. 7 PSI on the return side).

The head was redesigned to go around the injectors and the injector tubes were eliminated as well. This should resolve the issues with fuel in oil and coolant leaking past injector tubes.

hoot
07-28-2003, 10:36
Originally posted by D-max Man:
Hoot,

The injectors are functionally the same but they are not exactly the same as the current injectors.

The current injectors have the fuel supply line coming n to the top of the injector and a steel return pipe bolted to the side. The new injectors (which can be removed without removing the valve cover) have the supply line entering the side and the return comes out the top. The return lines are braded hoses like are used in many other diesel applications (not an issue as the stock system only has Max. 7 PSI on the return side).

The head was redesigned to go around the injectors and the injector tubes were eliminated as well. This should resolve the issues with fuel in oil and coolant leaking past injector tubes. Nice to hear from you Dmax man...

Thanks, that's excellent news. Got any other inside info? Are they gonna up the ponies any?

The best keeps gettin better!

koolgt
07-28-2003, 10:40
Originally posted by hoot:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D-max Man:
[qb] Hoot,
Got any other inside info? Are they gonna up the ponies any?

The best keeps gettin better! i know its alot more, but im not exactly sure how much off the top of my head, i know it will put the powerstroke to shame on hp and torque, i can see what i can find out tonight and get u a possitive # on the HP and torque

D-max Man
07-28-2003, 11:35
Sorry Hoot, I left Isuzu over a year ago so I don't get the insider info anymore. I did have my hands on a couple of '04 engines (even changed out some injectors) before I left though.

I heard that there was going to be an increase but it might not be as much as originally planned. Seems that the engine can handle it but the drivetrain isn't up to the task and GM doesn't want to shell out the money to make it do so.