PDA

View Full Version : Banks Monster Exhaust

UtahDuramax
04-02-2003, 16:44
I'm a new Duramax convert and would like input on the Banks Monster exhaust. I've already add the Amsoil Stage 2 Air Filter and have always piped my gas trucks. Any input? I'm getting about 18 MPG. By the way, after 2,870 miles, I think I,ve bought my last gas truck. I love this Duramax!

DMAXED
04-02-2003, 18:54
I have the banks monster exhaust on my truck and love the way it looks and sounds.

GMCTRUCK
04-02-2003, 21:41
I've got the Banks also. Perfect fit and finish, welded on hangers match the factory points perfect. Sounds awesome and the stainless steel still looks perfect after our long salty winter.

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
04-03-2003, 00:04
I love it, the hardest part of the installation is getting the old exhaust out of its hangers! I think it took me 30 minutes or so on the lift, most fighting getting the old exhaust off its hangers.

Bulldogger
04-03-2003, 06:38
Hey, I feel like odd man out. I must be the only one on the entire diesel page that bought the ATS dual exhaust system. Is there nobody else who wanted a chrome tip behind each wheel? :D :D Dave

DMAXDiva
04-03-2003, 07:05
Utah:

I have pics of the Banks installed on my truck, also a couple of sound clips; see picpage below. Very high quality system...I'd highly recommend it.

Bulldogger:

Yeah, I like that ATS system, but just couldn't choke down the $1250 price tag! :eek:

Bud
04-03-2003, 07:40
Installed my exhaust with no problems. Sounds great. You can see the tip on my page at http:\\myweb.cableone.net/n7xs/ I also enjoy radio control flying. Best regards.
Bud

Bulldogger
04-03-2003, 10:02
Dmax, that is there suggested retail it was 1150 out the door. That was also with changing the tips to 4" macs, the ATS 5" tips I didn't like at all. Dave

UtahDuramax
04-03-2003, 10:55
Thanks for all the input! It sounds like it's not alot louder than the stock setup. I'll report back soon.

wild bore
04-03-2003, 20:30
I finally put my banks exhaust on last week, there is a little resonance around 1500-1600 rpm`s. It has a deep rumble to it, not loud at all when cruising.

It must sound good, the first time I took it for a drive a guy in a big new benz rode next to me for a 1/4 mile and gave a big smile as he turned off :D

I tossed the tip, it was too big and looked goofy

drthv8r
04-03-2003, 22:08
I also have the Banks Monster Exhaust. I must have gotten some type of universal fit kit or something. I had to cut a section out of the exhaust pipe for it to fit. Thank goodness for a lift. It's not all that loud, sounds sweet to me.

imported_
04-04-2003, 11:35
My Banks system should be arriving in 10 days....

ThePend
04-05-2003, 18:00
drthv8r

Banks makes two systems.. Regular Cab and Crew Cab. Since yours is the in between size, they send out the crew cab size and you half to cut it down yourself. Basically, it saves them money.

tpitt
04-05-2003, 19:04
Bulldogger,
Your not the only one. Had mine on since late June of last year. $1150 out the door is an excellent price. I don't pay a lot less than that wholesale. They probably took into account that you didn't want ATS tips. They retail for $130 a piece. These are sure a well designed, sweet sounding set-up. I get a lot of comments on my pick-up. tpitt

Bulldogger
04-05-2003, 19:31
Tpitt, the true beauty of the system is you don't have to pass someone only in the left lane, for them to enjoy the true sound of our ass-kicking exhaust. The 4" triple chrome mac tips give it a little more subdued look. Dave :D :D

Diesel Dragon
04-05-2003, 19:54
Bulldogger

I,m going to be getting a ATS dual system too. Where did you get your's for $1,150 at? Mail order or somewhere local?

Thx Diesel Dragon :cool:

Bulldogger
04-06-2003, 07:54
Diesel Dragon, I bought the exhaust from Dan at Precision Diesel in Babylon NY.Phone # 1-800-832-8844.Dan was a great guy to deal with. Dave

mackin
04-06-2003, 10:08
Get a Banks let it ROAR .......

You guy are wasting your cash on Duals.....Your paying nearly double that a one legger....For a dual outlet muffler and a extra tailpipe.....For nuttin other then your gonna make it look like a gasser.....

MAC :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Diesel Dragon
04-06-2003, 21:37
Thx bulldogger :D

Mac

Duals look good :cool:
Besides don't see any Stinky gassers
with 5" dual pipes just lame 3" :D :D :D

On another note I drilled and tapped my passenger exaust manifold today for the EGT probe, went fairly easy worst part was taking the inner fender out. And I cant believe you have to take the inner fender off to change the fuel filter. The boost sensor is in too. Waiting for my A-pillar pod back from my cousin at the body shop (matching interior paint) ;)

Later Diesel Dragon :cool:

PS Can you believe were going to get 7 to 10 inches of snow tommorrow. :(

drthv8r
04-06-2003, 22:03
ThePend,

Yep that's what happened. I'm sure glad I wasn't laying on the ground messing with all that. For the money I paid for the system it should have gone right on with no cutting. But like you mentioned they're trying to save a buck.

If they are so into saving money. I'd have been happy if I had gotten a no cutting proper length system, and they have kept the goofie stove pipe exhaust tip... :rolleyes:

Burner
04-06-2003, 22:43
I have a question on this "exhaust" issue. Why does Bullydog have a 304 SS system and Banks have a 404 or so SS system? Is there a point where you could just call it steel? Which one will look better down the road? I would think that the 304 series would look better as well as out last the others. :rolleyes: I'm in the hunt for an exhaust, that is why I pose these silly questions.

Burner---&gt; :D

mackin
04-07-2003, 04:07
Both materials are SS ...... Type 304 is non magnetic and will not rust through(high nickel low carbon )..... It will stain contrary to it's description "Stainless" Steel.....Will surface (spotty) rust under extreme conditions(I've seen this happen on coils with steel strapping has been in place for lengthy times).... Will take some maintenance to keep it purdy like other SS products one can add-on to a vehicle.....

Material is expensive and difficult to work with .....

Type 409 is used vastly in exhaust application do to it's superior oxidation and corrosion quality....Easy to bend and weld and it's Cheap !!!!!! Oh YA !!!!!!

Both will live a long time pumping out fumes.....

At the end of the day when your pipe is looking dull you'll feel a whole lot better with the 409.....Plenty of cabbage left for Scottish bright pads..... :eek:

I'm just breaking them about duals.....If you ever seen a Banks 304 SS system on a GASSER it looks SA'WEET !!!!!!!

But to each their own.... Some will say I'm just angry in my vast Stainless connections ,I can't find it (304,301) cheap enough (wholesale) and a bender in my area .....

MAC :D :D :D

[ 04-07-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>