PDA

View Full Version : oil smell

Mike Fultz
03-31-2003, 12:18
I have started to notice the smell of oil (not diesel exhaust)on my 03 D/A CC. I have looked under the truck and thouroughly under the hood and see no signs of oil leakage. I have checked the tightness of the oil fill cap and dipstick tube. Is there a breather I should re-route to behind the cab? Any other ideas?? Outside of this issue, all is well the truck runs great, though I have the Durmax typeriter sound, I can't hear it with the doors closed, only standing outside.

Thanks,

Mike

a64pilot
03-31-2003, 12:27
Mike,
There is a crankcase breather right side towards the front of the engine. apparently diffrent brands of oil smell stronger than others. I use Delo 400 and have never smelled it. I would not try to relocate it if I were you. If it clogged it could cause problems. If you lengthen it too much it could freeze shut in cold weather due to condensation and clog

sdaver
03-31-2003, 20:19
noticed in mine just after oil changes...........it will go away..........until the next change :D :D dave

Mike Fultz
04-01-2003, 09:45
A64pilot and Sdaver, thanks for the replies. The truck did just have its oil changed, with Rotela. I checked the level and it looks like its about 1 quart too high. Thats an easy to fix problem with the Fumoto valve on the oil pan. In addition, we have had a little warm weather, so the window has been down. The odor must be coming from the vent-- so no worries.
Thanks again.

Mike

pinehill
04-01-2003, 13:00
Mike,

Several members have commented in the past that Rotela, while being a very good diesel oil, tends to smell things up a bit more than other brands after an oil change.