PDA

View Full Version : Warranty and the Edge Juice performance chip.

jfile
10-04-2005, 12:09
I took my truck in to the dealer today for a coolant leak and they said that the head gasket had to be replaced and that it wasn't covered under warranty due to me having the Edge Juice performance chip. Is this correct?

Kennedy
10-04-2005, 12:17
First and foremost: Out of sight=out of mind

Take the Juice off BEFORE they see it.

From there you are on your own. A good dealer would look the other way and/or tell you to leave and come back with the Juice removed...

2001 model?

jfile
10-04-2005, 12:23
Thanks for your quick response, is there some type of dealer data base that my truck would have been but in or could I just take my truck to another dealer in town with the chip removed and have them do the work. Once the chip is removed can they run a diagnostic on the truck and tell if that truck ever had a chip?

More Power
10-04-2005, 14:50
An anal dealer who takes issue with an owner modified vehicle (or the owner) "could" enter the VIN into the GM warranty database as having been modified - thus producing a drivetrain warranty denial wherever the truck is taken.

Jim

Laynhose7
10-04-2005, 15:00
I was wondering also if they can run a diagnostic and tell if the juice was on the truck before the truck came in for service.

PDoane
10-07-2005, 07:57
Here is Kennedy's response to the same question (about something in the ECU that tells of any mods/re-writes) from me in the Best Chip for Pulling thread

"A tuner will restore the unmolested factory tune without alteration. The only thing that may be detectable (and I doubt this can be done at dealer technician level) I am told, is that the ECM will note the "last written to" date. There will be no indication of who, and the odds of someone digging into this are slim."

Jim Brzozowski
10-07-2005, 08:12
jfile, the key is that they can't put your truck back together with the juice attached and have all stock programing to verify everything is ok. I'd take it off and try another dealer. If your in good standing with the denied dealer, call the service mgr. and ask him to check the computer and tell you if anything detremential to your case has been entered into the computer. If he says no, your probably ok, if he says yes, ask his to delete the info, before it goes into backup mode. Once their network has it its there forever, maybe he or she would issue a reconsideration of warranty issues if you take it back. They'd be hard pressed to prove the juice did cause the problem, based on the other head gaskets problems others have had. Good Luck.