PDA

View Full Version : oil change smell

steve700edgex
07-16-2003, 15:41
changed oil yesterday and switched to synthetic rotella t and now all I smell is that stinky oil, thought maybe spilled some but after checking the oil fill is still clean. any others with this problem :confused: :confused: :(

TST Tech
07-16-2003, 16:00
Just changed oil in our Powerstroke about a month ago, and it stunk up our whole shop. I can even smell it if I run the truck real hard on the dyno. Seems to be holding up real well though. It's good but it sure is stinky! Have a great day , Greg

K1XV
07-16-2003, 16:48
I am curious. Except when I have spilled the oil on the engine, I have never, in almost 40 years of oil changing, "smelled" an oil after an oil change. I use Rotella T Synthetic, have changed oil three times (twice in Duramax, once in car), and have smelled nothing.

Where does the smell come from in the engine? Is my nose burned out?

steve700edgex
07-16-2003, 16:53
yes the engine compartment seems to be the source I crawled underneath and no leaks and clean, no smell from under the truck only seemed to be from the under hood area :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amianthus
07-16-2003, 16:55
It's normal (Delo smell-o is another one that stinks). Rotella's additive package lends itself to more aroma than other oils. It is coming from your engine venting and is much more pronounced once the oil gets warmed up. It should burn off in the first 1000 miles. Nothing to worry about, though. Rotella is a good oil for a dino oil.

DURA-MAX3
07-16-2003, 16:57
Don't know what causes it but it is coming from the crankcase breater tube under the engine on passenger side. Mine has done it every time and it goes away after a few miles. It is nothing to worry about. My peterbilt had a 550 hp Cat and it did it also...

steve700edgex
07-16-2003, 18:26
I used the synthetic, last oil change ( the first one @ 1000) I used delo 400 and I didn't get that smell

Lone Eagle
07-16-2003, 18:44
Ditto Dura-Max3. Mine was so strong that I called Shell. They said unless I could smell it before I opened the container it was OK and definitely would not harm my engine. It is almost back to normal at 350 miles. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

K1XV
07-17-2003, 04:28
Well, my nose must be burned out. I guess that what happens when you are born and spend your first couple of decades in New Jersey, the hydrocarbon capital of the East Coast. :( :(