PDA

View Full Version : 4" exhaust info

Dawg
07-16-2003, 13:12
I've read the old posts about the exhausts and am still trying to decide on which one. Any updates on those of you with Flowmaster? I want to stay fairly quiet. I do a lot of towing. There is a shop in town that installs a lot of Banks products. The only true test is to go for a ride in various trucks with the different exhaust systems. Boils down to a personal thing. Seems like the JK, Banks and Flowmaster are the leaders on this board. Any input would be appreciated.

drthv8r
07-16-2003, 14:29
When empty I can hardly hear my Banks system. Towing is a whole different story. The noise is a bit annoying to me.

ryeguy
07-16-2003, 14:37
My vote is for the Banks system. At certain speeds, though, the sound can resonate.

--Rob

07-16-2003, 15:05
I have had the JK system on 2 trucks and they are the best IMO. Empty the sound is nice with no boom and towing it is also quite nice. The key is to install the muffler with the louvers facing forward and to put a turndown on the tip.

gene smith
07-16-2003, 15:32
installed a flowmaster 3000 mi ago and only problem is it is not loud enough to drown out the wife's mouth, in all honesty it will bark when it gets close to max r p m and just before it shifts, can still here the engine when it is running normal, im sure there are others out there that will out perform it but i think the main reason i bought the flowmaster was the cute stainless tip. :D

[ 07-16-2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: gene smith ]

Texas Red Wagon
07-16-2003, 15:58
I installed the Bassani 4" on mine. I love the sound
The system comes with two tips. I used the 6" polished for a better sound, but you could stick a basketball in the end of it. :eek:
scott

HD-Nate
07-16-2003, 17:55
Originally posted by 1822:
I have had the JK system on 2 trucks and they are the best IMO. Empty the sound is nice with no boom and towing it is also quite nice. The key is to install the muffler with the louvers facing forward and to put a turndown on the tip. I agree, the JK exhaust sounds good and no resonation.

Louvers facing forward????

Do you mean the open end of the louvers in the muffler with the open end facing the front of the truck???

If so that is the opposite of the instructions with the JK exhaust.

LMorse
07-16-2003, 17:56
Does anyone have any info on the HOG 4'' stainless exhaust?? I should be recieving mine tomorrow... Just curious as to what to expect.. If not, I'll post after install..

ski
07-16-2003, 20:05
not sure of the brand, but anyone try one of the "cheapie" 4"ers listed on ebay for about $350-$375 ? any resonance ?

I have no corrosion worries such as salt or whatever. let the opinions fly............

Dawg
07-16-2003, 20:29
I saw a Flowmaster for a Duramax on display today. The flange at the front of the system seems to be very heavy. The clamps also looked to be very good. I did not have another system to look at but the Flowmaster looked like very good quality. It seems that most folks are saying the JK system has the quietest sound. Doubt I'll find one in a Duramax around here to listen to! Maybe it will be a good reason to get one. ;)

Wing'n'it
07-16-2003, 23:33
Dawg,
I am over in Auburn and am having the same questions you have. My 2003 D/A EC LB is my daily driver and I tow a 9000# 5er about 10% of annual mileage. I don't want something that has an annoying resonance to it.

My neighbor just had Truck Performance in Maple Valley in stall a 4" kit on his 99 SD. It sounds very mellow as he drives down the street, and he says it is not objectionable driving solo or pulling his TT. I believe it is a Flowmaster muffler. 4" with a 5" tip. It looks nice.

I went to Truck Performance last week and they quoted me $700 installed for a 4" aluminized setup that is from BD. Don't know why they don't use Flowmaster.

What have you heard from the folks in your town about the Banks system? They never seem to answer my emails.

If you want to share info, email me direct and we can set up a phone call.
Mike
mikebays@earthlink.net

Burner
07-16-2003, 23:54
Mike,

-- Wait on that exhaust. The Ford trucks "hide" the resonation better than our GM's. I'm not sure why but I'll bet it's due to the higher frequency numbers. Eh... GM trucks are a little tighter than the Fords. The Banks is a well-made system that has great sound, still has "noise" in a couple of cruising speeds. If you are going to spend 700.oo on an exhaust, may I mention the one John Kennedy has.-----> Kennedy Exhaust (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=226) I have yet to stand side by side of the JK exhaust. From what I gather about noise, vibration, performance and "after sale help" John is the key. The exhaust not having the same "noise" in The Ford and GM was what I wanted to advise. Keep it apples to apples. ;)

Burner------> :D

mackin
07-17-2003, 06:26
No matter which system you choose, more noise will be heard if you alter from stock ..... No bones about it ....

I think the volume heard in the cab has to do a lot with "your" particular Cab and Bed configuration .....

Mac :D :D :D

Dawg
07-17-2003, 15:21
Wing'n'it,

I'll get in contact with you in the near future. The Power Shop in Enumclaw does a lot of Banks installs. They used to get right back to you when if you emailed them. It seems the busier/bigger they got the less customer service you got. I looked at getting my gauges from them. They were way to high on everything. There is a shop in Pacific(can't recall name right now)that has a good rep for exhaust work. I will try to figure out the name. Most likely will get a JK, Banks or Flowmaster. Just want to hear them in a truck first.

imported_
07-17-2003, 17:27
Rip does a really nice fab job on exhausts and also deals with magnaflow

I also bugged him to custom make a system for his truck that is straight piped...no muffler or exhaust routing thru the resonator.

his web addy is here (http://www.protintnw.com/sa-main.htm)
and the responses to my exhaust suggestion can be seen here (http://www.nwbombers.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=d82be567c6d594b016bbefd264515369;a ct=ST;f=4;t=3613)

Joe.G
07-17-2003, 17:47
I have a Banks 4 inch on a 2001 Ext/Cab S/B and it resonates bad from 45 to about 65 mph, above that and it's sweet. I just turn the radio up and don't let it bother me, but, I'm an old hotrodder and I accept noise with performance, if it ain't loud it must not be doing nothing (to help the engine perform). smile.gif

motovet
07-17-2003, 18:02
I have the Banks and it is only a bit loud under heavy loads. I rode in JK's truck at the rendezvous and his didn't seem much different than mine before I added all the sound deadener. He is running the 4-5" also , so I would say the straight 4" has the potential to be quieter. I would let you guys hear mine, but we live far apart. If you get to the coast though....

Wing'n'it
07-18-2003, 00:23
Burner,
I agree, my choices are narrowed to between JK and Banks. Noise is a very subjective thing. Not only do each of us have different cab/bed setups (linings), but noise effects all of us differently. Some are sensitive to high freqs, some to the lows. Personally I feel that a person isn't experiencing an good airshow until they feel their internal organs vibrate!! But, that's me.

I'm waiting for now. I've heard JK's sound clip, now I'd like to hear a Banks. First I've got to install the gauges, then the exhaust.

Dawg, I think you're spot on with the Power Shop assesment. Look forward to chatting.

motovet, you're not that far away. Besides, I'm always looking for an excuse for a camping trip to the coast!!

Just Wing'n'it

DMAXDiva
07-18-2003, 05:16
Hey Wing'in'it:

You'd mentioned that you'd like to hear a Banks clip...I have a couple of sound files you can listen to. One is in-cab WOT and the other is at idle outside about 3 feet from the tailpipe. I really like the sound of the Banks system, and as far as fit/finish/ease of installation go, it's tops.

DMD

Wing'n'it
07-18-2003, 16:10
DMAXDiva,
Thanks for the link. Do you find that at a steady cruise the rumble is as noticeable as it is under WOT?
Wing'n'it :rolleyes:

Wing'n'it
07-18-2003, 16:11
DMAXDiva,
Thanks for the link. Do you find that at a steady cruise the rumble is as noticeable as it is under WOT?
Wing'n'it smile.gif

ibelyea
07-19-2003, 09:45
I just got my 4" system from Heath Diesel and it is a very professional kit. One of the major reasons for buying it is that the muffler is a Donaldson that is the Cadilac of mufflers. There products for military vehicles are considered superb. My main concern with the muffler system is that it remain as quiet as the truck system was as built. All the other systems that I have seen are not. I don't think Banks is cost effective. The other thing is that Bill is a major contributor to the Diesel Page. Is probably the most knowledgeable member on engine operation and lives in the Pacific Northwest where shipping was fast, easy and cheap. His presentations at the Rendezvous and personal contact find him to be honest, and knowledgeable. You can't go wrong.

LMorse
07-20-2003, 13:10
I installed the HOG stainless 4'' with 5.5'' tip on my crewcab shortbed last night.. I have to give warning... The hangers were as poor as they come, and the directions were nothing more than hand drawing that had been coppied... I couldn't even use all the hanger locations... The exhaust after install had no in cab resonation... It was also very quiet... If someone wants a quiet system with no resonation, then it might be worth the hassle of install... I personally like loud, so the muffler is about to be a straight pipe...

DMAXDiva
07-21-2003, 15:53
Wing'n'it:

No, I really don't notice the exhaust at all at steady speed; only under WOT. I know others have complained of a drone at highway speed, but I just don't notice it. Honestly though, I'm usually jammin' with the sound system, and the new SuperSwampers have a pretty healthy hum all their own on the highway, so the exhaust is the last thing I'll hear...but before I did the suspension/tire mods, the exhaust noise was never an issue for me.

DMD

DIESEL 5
07-21-2003, 19:19
I installed ATS dual system, sounds & looks great. There is nothing like 5" chrome tips behind each wheel. :D

[ 07-21-2003, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: DIESEL 5 ]