PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pulling travel trailer AND boat?

BassinRVer
03-25-2003, 13:50
I have been advised not to do this because of too much sway with the boat when going downhill. I have been told if I do triple up with truck TT and boat I should re-enforce the travel trailer' frame from the axles back. I have been told if I purchased a fifth wheel which I did not then the fifth wheel frame would be strong enought to pull the boat.

permx11
03-25-2003, 18:48
I dont think you can tow more than one trailer at a time. How would you back up?

Dawg
03-25-2003, 19:15
Our state laws will not allow the towing of two trailers. Only commercial rigs properly licensed to do so.

BobNelson
03-25-2003, 19:39
some states allow.... those that do, generally require the first towable to be a 5vr..

take a look at http://www.rvsafety.com/state.htm for state towing laws.

bearman
03-25-2003, 20:44
I pull my boat behind my 5'er. With a TT you are asking for trouble, to much tail waging the dog. If you do this get the best anti sway device money can buy for both trailers. I belive it is illigal in most places unless your front trailer is a 5th wheel. With my unit I am @ 23000 lbs CGVW, it is as solid as a rock and I can travel Every where in western Canada exept BC, and in about 37 States. Good luck.
Cheers
Bear

Oongawah
03-25-2003, 21:14
Each state has their own regulations. Unless it's changed again, in California the front trailer does not have to be a 5vr. The rear hitch must be frame mounted, and the frame of the front trailer must be what's referred to as steel to steel. You need atleast a non-commercial class A license. There's pro's, and con's to the length of the first trailer from the rear axle to the hitch for the second trailer. The longer the length, the better for helping the rear trailer not cheat when turning. It makes it swing out further. Use stiff walled tires on atleast the first trailer, 8-ply is what I use. Try not to have too much tongue weight on the rear trailer(tail wagging the dog effect). Oh, and in Cali the rear trailer must have it's own brakes. I have surge brakes on mine. Check with your local DMV if you're serious. Usually the first thing they ask you when taking the test is to backup. If you do, you may wreck your toys, and most definately fail the test. Just so this isn't vague, you don't backup when pulling doubles. Never get yourself in a situation where it is needed, unless you're prepared to unleash the rear puppy. Take care, Chuck.

Oongawah
03-25-2003, 21:19
P.S. Bassin' My 5vr is for sale(better than new condition) if you're interested. It's already setup to pull doubles(real heavy frame mount in rear). oongawah@yahoo.com Take care, Chuck.

FisHn2DMax
03-25-2003, 22:25
I pull a 29.6' 5er and either my 18'bass/fishin boat or Waverunners or my Four wheelers on second trailer. In my state it's legal as long as the rear trailer is lighter than the front trailer. It must be wired with some form of sway control. Total Length of Truck and trailers can be no longer than 66'. I come really close to the legal length limit.

I agree with others, you never want to get stuck in spot where you would need to back up!!! I had that happen once and it won't happen again!

I've towed 1000's of miles with this set-up and it works if you plan ahead, use truck stops for fueling, and never exceed 65 mph going down hill.
It can be done very safely. I had a heavy duty frame mounted hitch installed on the rear of the 5'er. I also have installed sway control on the second trailer(s) and surge brakes on the boat trailer.

I would NEVER tow a second trailer behind a bumper pull front trailer unless major sway control systems where installed on both front and back trailers AND the second trailer was light weight.

Good Luck
;)

cmtndmax
03-25-2003, 22:52
I pulled a 24 ft. TT and 18 ft. Ranger bass boat behind a 88 1/2 ton long bed BIG MISTAKE!! At 52 mph the boat would start swaying about a foot on each side of TT. I pulled the same rig later with 94 3/4 longbed ext cab with no sway problems at 70 to 75 mph. No sway control on back trailer either time. It proved to me the value of a heavier duty truck.

TXMAX
03-26-2003, 12:57
BASSINRV'r,

In Tx your max length is 65ft from the front bumper to the transom (not the motor, don't ask me why). I have been told that you can use a TT but as has already been stated I think it could get pretty shakey. The anti-sway bars would be a must. You can see I tow a 20' Astro with a 24.5' 5th wheel. It works great and I just had it out a Lake Fairfield a few weeks ago. I'm local so you can take a look at my set up if you would like. I'll check this string for contact info from you.

Regards,

Abe