PDA

View Full Version : Additional screen in front of all the coolers

Trip
07-12-2003, 05:26
I was going to add one layer of window screen (fiberglass) between the truck grill and the front of all the coolers. I can then simply wash all the trash and bugs off the screen w/o picking them out of all the cooling fins. Has anyone done this, and did it raise your temps due to restricted air flow? We've had a number of 6.2s in the family and the screens worked great.

dschultz
07-12-2003, 06:21
I tried a window screen to keep bugs off the AC condenser and transmission cooler. When I was towing my trailer the cooling fan clutch was engaging a lot more that without the screen. I also think I dropped 1 or 2 MPG.

I removed the screen about halfway into my trip and the fan only engaged a few times during hill climbs, etc.

Dave

Trip
07-12-2003, 06:34
That's exactly what I was concerned about. Since I'm still breaking the truck in, I think I'll wait until I'm familiar with normal operating temps and MPG, especially when towing. Then maybe give it a try. Thanks for the "heads up" Dave.

oyazi
07-12-2003, 08:06
I installed a metallic one w/o any observable affects ~ but haven't towed w/it yet. Unfortunately, I installed it at the same time I installed the airscoop so its hard to tell.

I 'believe' I'm seeing a drop of 20* in trans temp due to the airscoop but will know more after a good tow. Because of the airscoop placement, I was unable to cover the trans cooler w/screening.

I'm not comfortable w/fiberglass screening ~ not just the temp involved but think air flow would be less as the grids seem to be finer than comparable metal screening.

Wasn't aware that NV had a bug problem.

[ 07-12-2003, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: oyazi ]

DieselDixon
07-12-2003, 09:45
The problem with any screens it will limit your airflow. Next time you have a screen in your hands try putting your hand on the other side of the screen and blow through it, you won

Maverick
07-12-2003, 13:31
I took my winter front and made it into a screen front. Works good and no noticable difference in temps. Easily taken off in seconds.
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL43/437876/551338/12201779.jpg

ibelyea
07-12-2003, 18:12
I fabricated my screen with fiberglass screen, aluminum tape and some snaps. Put it on the outside like Maverick and my temps are not affected one iota. From 10 feet away it looks like a regular grill and stops all of the bugs, bees and large flying insects. When I fuel up, I just run my hand over the screen and the bugs fall off. Cost was less than 2 bucks and it works great.

MNBowTie
07-13-2003, 00:12
Trip,

I have a bug screen on my 02, bought it from Cabela's, around $20. I run with it from May, till October. Pull my 5th wheel, GVW 17.5. I put 6000 miles last year, while towing and over 3500, so far this year, the fan does come, but only when temps are above 90 and the screen is in need of a cleaning. Not once, have I seen the enigne temp over 200

jbplock
07-13-2003, 04:10
I have a screen on my 2003 and haven’t heard my fan kick-in yet... no towing though. I copied 56Nomad’s design and put it behind the grill. I cut a piece of black screen to fit and sewed nylon bias tape with Velcro (loops) all around the edges. The screen sticks to industrial strength Velcro strips placed all around the inside edges of the grille. So far so good.. smile.gif

Trip
07-13-2003, 05:35
DieselDixon
I would never choke this truck, that's why I'm seeking advice from you guys that have had your trucks awhile. smile.gif My father-in-law's 78 went hundreds of thousands of miles with a screen...but all trucks are different.

oyazi
It's not too buggy here in NV, but we go to CA all the time, and my truck looks like it's been in a yellow paint ball fight every late spring/early summer.

I like Maverick's set up of modifying the bra, as although we go to the Sierras whenever we can, I don't plan on being cold enough to use it.

Thanks for the good ideas. Hope I can return the favor!

battmain
07-13-2003, 07:40
I used some left over fiberglass screen in the front of my truck. Temp guage has not moved. I can't tell when the fan is running since the music is usually cranked up. YMMV. We've got love bugs in Florida. When you hit a really bad swarm, they will clog your radiator and they're a b*tch to remove.

oyazi
07-13-2003, 09:25
I know how badly the bugs can coat a vehicle. Eves and nights can be particullarly bad. I felt something to mitigate the problem was essential. I am watching my temps tho. I like Mavericks idea and it would lend itself to be changed out when the bug problem subsides. Heard that Kansas can be bad but my experience w/CA Central Valley makes it hard to believe it could be any worse. Aside from the radiator clogging issue, I'm experiencing a problem w/windshield cleaning. I'm now carrying a small step ladder to be able to reach up and over to clear the bug juice so we can see :rolleyes:

56Nomad
07-13-2003, 10:34
Hey all,

Go to my signature and you can see how I
mounted the bug screen. It does not affect
my temps. I was pulling the loaded toybox
up some incredibly steep and long grades
and all my temps stayed below 200

56Nomad
07-14-2003, 09:28
Here is what I previously posted:

An Invisible and Inexpensive Bug Screen

After getting back from Rendevous IV, the front
of my truck was covered in bug parts and bug splatter.
With 4 "layers" of fins in the radiator area, it is
a difficult to keep clean
After seeing how Ivan used screening and silver duct
tape to effectively keep the bugs out of the radiator
area on his GMC.......... I wanted to do the same, but
wanted the screening on the inside of the grille. Ivan
had his screening on the outside of his grille.

This was my solution:

1. Take off the top plastic shroud (pop up 7 plastic buttons)
2. Remove grille (turn 5 plastic hold downs and R&R one bolt)
3. Take a piece of black bug screen 3.5' x 2' and stretch it
over the 5 plastic pegs on the back of the grille piece.
4. Cut small openings in the screening where the hold downs are located.
5. Cut edges of screening to fit only the interior grille area.
6. Replace the grille, then the shroud

Total Cost: $1.98

The bug screen is completely hidden, and when it gets
clogged with bugs, pop off the top plastic shroud and use
air or a water jet to remove them.

Pictures at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/66442811RZerfP

Amianthus
07-14-2003, 10:06
I use one and have had no ill experiences with it (my temperature problems are from something else altogether). Provided you don't drive like an idiot towing 8,000 lbs at 100 mph. Then you'll be likely to run into problems. Just keep it clean and it should be fine. I do agree that if you want to race, then it has to go. But if you're just be-boppin' around town, you should be okay.

Kennedy
07-14-2003, 18:51
What Amianthus said!

It comes down to the lesser of two evils:

1) Bugs restrict air flow and plug things

2) Screen restricts air flow (more than most will believe)

I have the Lund SS screen front in mine. There is still a good amount of perimeter entry air, but my fan clutch runs a lot more. I take it out to tow or race. The SS Cold Front seemed to cost an easy .3 in the 1/4 mile, and that is in cool temps...

hoot
07-14-2003, 19:13
I use the Lund SS screeen also....
http://www.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc/05-2003-pics/images/DSCN3032.jpg

DuramaxDicko
07-15-2003, 17:07
56Nomad

that is one expensive garage floor you got there. :D

56Nomad
07-15-2003, 22:53
DuramaxDicko,

Yup..... when my wife goes shopping
I move operations into the house :D :D :D

"Screen restricts air flow (more than most will believe)"
John..... I'm not a believer. I always watched my gauges
pretty close and my engine and tranny temps were not
affected by installing the screen. I've pulled some very
long and steep grades in desert temps and I've seen no
temp differences at all with a clean screen.

Don't let that screen material get real dirty with bugs....
If it does get clogged, no question, the temps will go up.
However, the screen is real easy to replace if needed ;)