PDA

View Full Version : needed: recommended break in proceedure

oneton
06-15-2002, 20:16
Ok guys, I'm picking up my new D-max in Ohio and driving back to FL VIA the POCI Nationals in Charleston, WV. It will be a little more than 900 miles and I've seen here that oil needs to be changed at 500 as well as the rear end. Would it hurt to run the extra 400 miles to home or should I find a dealer somewhere in between? What about speed? How fast can I drive? I know to vary the speed and don't use the cruise control. Anything else? Oh,yeah, drive like you stoled it but only after you break it in> :D

Oneton..
94 6.5 TD Rocky Ridge Conversion
soon to be driving:
2002 3500HD LT CC 4x4 Dmax/Alli

MudNurI
06-15-2002, 20:51
It's all up to you. some of us here have driven it at 55 mph for the first 100/500 miles etc.. others (myself) have never considered keeping it below 55. even when a newborn. We picked up our truck at the dealer on a Friday- for a "weekend so my wife will love it" test drive. Put I'd say 750 miles on it- that next Tuesday, signed the paper's and on Wednesday- with 1153 miles on it had the oil/rear end changed. It was my understanding that the oil/rear end was at 1000 miles, but again, it's all in your preference. Some guys here change the oil at 3,000 intervals, some change at 7500 (us included there again)...some change the fuel filter reigously..others like myself wait for the darn truck to go into limp mode, and change it then- 22,000 miles.

I don't think from Ohio to Florida, your gonna find a road where it's safe to go 55 or less. Plus imagine the PS, and Cummings that are gonna be on those roads, just ready to "get it awn"...I for one couldnt' NOT give um some envy! lol

congrats on the truck, and remember, it's your's drive it like you see fit. If you want to break it in easy,,or if you don't. Mine doesnt have any problems different than anyone else, and I've broken in it a lot different that some!

Brandy ;)

oneton
06-15-2002, 23:12
Thanks MudN, I was under the impression that it was critical for long life on the locking rear end and I'm sure everybody breaks their truck in differently. I'm just looking for what's best for my truck. My neighbor has 2500 Dmax-allison and he hasn't changed the rear fluid sense it was new. Does anyone know where to get information from GM on what they recommend before you look into the glove box at delivery?

Thanks

JEBar
06-16-2002, 05:35
many of the change intervals often found here are much shorter than you will find in your manual. I don't believe that, if you give your rig plenty of time to get up to operating temperature, if you vary your speeds and hold high speed burst to short intervals...your truck should be fine for the drive home...the service manager (who I've come to know and respect over the last 20 years) at my dealership looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I wanted my rigs rear end oil changed...I really believe these trucks are going to prove to be very tough pieces of equipment smile.gif

3176CATPOWER
06-16-2002, 06:04
Oneton,theres no way driving your new truck 900 miles without changing fluids is going to hurt it,period!If it were mine the first 300 miles would be below 60 mph and not completely babying it.After that hit the interstate if you have to and vary your speeds the rest of the way home.By vary I mean run 65 for a while, kicker down good, back off when she hits 80,keep horseing her,thats what seats the rings.I got 6000 miles on mine and I still horser her especially on the interstate, its fun.Mine has not used any oil yet, not even pulling the fiver.

oneton
06-16-2002, 08:46
Thanks guys. In any event it's going to be a fun ride home. I can't wait to load up the cars and start drivng at normal interstate speed. My nieghbor just got a 36 ft fiver with a sleeper room for his Harley in back. He ran 75 on the interstate and never let up. Now that's driving in style.

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>

odoh
06-16-2002, 09:32
Drove mine 986miles to home. Kept it below 55 for 500miles. Most other drivers didn't mind. On single lane roads, I would occasionally pull over to let others pass. 500 miles isn't much ~ goes by fairly quick. The 500 mile differential change pertains to the first 500 miles of 'heavy towing' w/the the caveat that no towing to be done in the first 1000 miles. I plan on a crankcase change @ 3K. As for the differential, I've yet to do any towing.
In summary, its your money. ~ odoh

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
06-16-2002, 13:43
^...Drive it like you stole it from the dealership. Break it in the way you want it to perform throughout its life expectancy.

gdblake
06-16-2002, 16:48
Oneton, You might want to check the differential when you get home. I drove mine 55 or so for the first 500 miles, changed the oil at 1200, and changed the differential fluid (4 qts. Mobil-1, 75-90) after 350 miles of towing. It's very easy, as there is a plug on the bottom of the housing. The differential fluid came out with a lot of bubbles. Almost like you shook up a Coke. I Have no idea why it would be that way. I've changed the fluid on other vehicles, and never saw this before. I know, long term, this wouldn't have been good for the rear end.

TNR
06-16-2002, 17:39
oneton, I'm from Bradenton. Which dealers have you tried to buy from in Tampa. Hoping you can help me cut down on wasted time. I've talked to about 11 so far & the best deal was $3000 over invoice. Ohio you mean Buckles?
Thanks, TNR

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: TNR ]</p>

mark45678
06-16-2002, 17:46
change the oil in the motor in the first 1000 miles and the rear end around the same time. Make sure you use synthetic fluid in the rearend. then change the motor oil 3 more times befor in the next 5000 mile ,then go to your regular change scheduals... I do mine every 5000 miles! at 5000 mile do the allison spin-on filter! drive it like you stole it after the 2nd tank of fuel!!!! 800~1000 miles. it may use a little oil in the first 5~8K miles so keep a eye on things. mine stopped useing oil around 8k and stopped ticing around the same time.

oneton
06-16-2002, 18:39
TNR, I was trying to deal with Autoway on Hillsbourgh Ave in Tampa. They basicly told me the same thing. Sticker or nothing! But of course they would knock of 2500 for the trouble they caused me on my current truck. I laughed at him. I went to Buckles first. They started to stonewall me when I started asking too many questions. So I had some fiends of mine that live there look around. They found another identical truck at Trenor Motors. The difference being a GMC vs a Chevy. If you call talk to Tom O'Brien. Their number is 937-652-1371. He took the time to answer all my questions, shot pictures and emailed them to me, and took the time to see if my trucks qualified for the $1000 settlement. Service is outstanding. I only paid 300 over invoice. The diffence is Trenor is giving me the 500 bonus cash were Buckles wouldn't. So the truck I'm getting ends up $200 cheaper then Buckles.

BTW, TNR, if you buy a truck from Ohio you should fly out of the Sarasota/Bradenton Airport. I did all the tile in that airport with the exception of baggage claim. 10 months of 80hrs a week to install 45,000 sq ft of tile. It is the largest waterjet cut tile project in the world.

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>

Kennedy
06-16-2002, 18:51
I would go easy for the first 20-30 miles, and park it to let the diffgears cool down. That is my ONLY concern for overheating/working at break in. From ther, a good load on the engine will promote quick break in. Change the oil EARLY and ofetn in the first 1000 miles IMHO.