PDA

View Full Version : New leak, anyone been through this?

hiredmanDan
06-15-2002, 08:54
When changing my stock shocks out to Ranchos, I noticed the left front inner fender was damp. Further inspection showed that there is a very slight leak of brake fluid which seeps down the engine compartment side of the wheel well. The seepage seems to be coming not from the reservoir nor the master cylinder but from the unit directly behind them (where the master cylinder mounts to). Has anyone already been through this and where exactly was the culprit? I can't really tell which seal, O-ring, connection, plug, etc. is the one allowing the brake fluid to get by. I'd like to know what to have the tech focus on first when I take the truck to the dealer to get this fixed. Thank you in advance for your response. Dan

GrayMax
06-15-2002, 10:19
Not related to your leak but did you run into any complications changing out your shocks? Any recommendations? I'm doing mine tomorrow with rancho's as well. Thanks.

SoCalDMAX
06-15-2002, 10:59
hiredmanDan,

first, Welcome to the forum! As always, we have answers for you!

I believe it is a leak from your hydrobooster, which provides power to your brakes because diesels have no vacuum. MudnurI (Brandy) went thru this same thing, albeit a lot messier. Just take it to the dealer and they'll fix it under warranty. Based on what you said, it might be a slow enough leak that you MIGHT be able to drive it while waiting for the part to come in, if not too long.

Regards, Steve

hiredmanDan
06-15-2002, 13:08
Thanks, Steve, I appreciate the info.
GrayMax, I had no difficulties whatsoever with the Rancho install. Didn't even need to jack up the truck at all since its 4x4 and high enough to slide under as is. I was really surprised how easy it was. I don't know that you'd need to, but here's what I did: take a steel brush and clean off the threads of the upper-end of the front shocks, then squirt them with WD40. Since the top of those two shocks need to be held while turning the nut, use open end wrench to turn plus vise-grips or channel-locks to hold the top of the stud. Lastly, slide those two new shocks in place from behind the front tires and slide them up into place. Socket wrench worked for all the other nuts, IIRC.
Put your boots on all four shocks before you start. My Rancho instructions didn't say it but there is a little ridge/groove around the top of the shocks where the upper lip of the boot should lock into. When you are all finished, the top ends of those boots should not be flopping around loose but rather be seated in that groove so you have a good seal to keep the sand, dirt, and salt from getting on the shaft. The nylon ties that came with the shocks hold the bottom of the boots in place and, if you want, put the Rancho stickers on before the install.
I think that's it. If you get the new shocks ready while you're watching TV or something, you probably won't spend an hour under the truck. Good luck! Dan smile.gif

JEBar
06-15-2002, 15:09
the hydrobooster in my 3500 developed a leak at about 14,000 miles...mine leaked down into the cab from a seal where it goes through the fire wall...by the way, this booster (according to my dealer) is run by power steering fluid, might want to check and make sure your pump isn't low when the repair is finished smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
06-15-2002, 15:55
GrayMax,

I second what was said about installing the Ranchos. If you have a set of the ratcheting box end wrenches, they're perfect for the top of the front shocks.

I'd recomend getting the nut started on the top of the front shocks first, then sliding the bolt thru the bottom of the shock, tighten the nut on the bottom and then tighten the nut on the top. This way you're not fighting the shock.

Also, the stickers in the box are for the shock body, not bumper stickers. Guess who had to crawl under and attach the stickers after the shocks were installed. I'd like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself. ;) At least I got to attach them at the most visible angle.

I've got mine set at 4 in front and 2 in back, seems to ride very smooth. My friend just bought an Escalade and honestly, on the one stretch of fwy we rode on, it rode exactly like my truck. Firm, but supple, well controlled.

Regards, Steve

[ 06-15-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

GrayMax
06-15-2002, 16:12
Dan and Steve,

Thanks for the insigt, I just finished mine up - what a snap! I set the fronts on 3 and the rears on 2. First drive at about 3-miles seemed ok to me. Next up is the Banks Monster Exhaust - should be here mid-week. :D