PDA

View Full Version : Change the oil dummy!!!!!!!!

AlaskaDmax
06-13-2002, 13:40
Alright,

I know this has been covered lightly but....

My change engine oil message came on today.

The owners manual says that it determines oil life by RPM and Temperature.

Alrighty then....the question is this.

I have 7900 miles on the truck.
I changed the oil at 3000 and 6000 miles already.
I have 1100 miles left before I do my next SCHEDULED change. I DID NOT reset the computer when I changed it the previous 2 times.

Is the computer telling me that I need to change the current oil again NOW or is it telling me that it thinks I still have the original oil and that the ORIGINAL oil needs to be changed?

Does it have a sensor that determines oil quality?
I have made some long hauls with the camper since the last oil change....

SoCalDMAX
06-13-2002, 13:50
AlaskaDmax,

It is saying that because you never reset the "change oil" counter, it thinks it is now time to change your original oil. It has no way of measuring actual oil viscosity, it just records mileage and driving style and calculates based on that.

Since you are changing your oil a lot more often than the system is suggesting (good idea), just keep on changing it based on your own preferences.

If you feel like trusting the oil change light, remember to reset it at your next oil change.

Mine came on at approx. 8500mi, which surprised me considering I use the throttle like a light switch. By then, I was on my 3rd oil change. I just reset the light and kept on truckin'. ;)

Regards, Steve

neophyte
06-13-2002, 13:55
Mine came on just two days after I had done an oil change, so I know it was not because I needed to do an oil change. But like you, I did not reset it the previous time I had changed the oil. I just reset it now.

AlaskaDmax
06-13-2002, 14:07
Thanks a million!!!! (miles I hope)

I figured that it was just a calculation and not a sensor thing but you never know with these spaceships....pretty soon a replicator will be an option on these trucks!!! :D :D :D

Diesel_D
06-15-2002, 00:32
How do ya reset the oil change thingy? Thanks in advance. I've got 4k and i'm ready for change #2. I never reset it at the first change at 800 miles. I'm still happy as ever in my 2002 dmax/allison cc 6" lift ya baby this thing rocks. In case you guys wanted to know. :D :D :D

NickLeinonen
06-15-2002, 05:57
to reset the light, turn the ign on but engine off. tromp on the throttle pedal 3 times to the floor within 2 seconds. the oil change message should flash a couple times then it is done.

Diesel_D
06-15-2002, 19:38
Thanks Nick,
That is too funny. you would think a simple reset button would do the trick. I love this truck but those engineers are funny people. Like to reset the allison slam it down to first at 60mph a few times. I read another post about setting the auto door locks so they lock at speeds over 15mph. I think you have to start the engine, get out run around truck 3 times yelling chinese fire drill, kick right front tire twice and then your all set to drive. :D tongue.gif