PDA

View Full Version : Dealer rip-off

DmaxFoxfire
09-14-2002, 18:52
I,m new at this,and need help. Took my Dmax to the Dealer for oil change, filter, (2nd one) and ask for fuel filter change, at 8200M. Quoted me a price of 72.00!! 42.00 for the filter, and 30.00 for labor! I can't stand this! What is a a replacement for the oem filter, and how hard is it to change? I really enjoy all the information contained here, but need help. Thanks

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-14-2002, 19:12
DmaxFoxfire

I pay $67.54 for a lube-oil-filter and a tire rotation. Parts and labor and in CT they tax the whole thing at 6%.

I know the price is high, but go figure 12 quarts of oil with a filter and an average time of at least 1/2 hour to change the oil out and grease up the front end.(labor per hour at the stealer in CT is around $71.00/hr.)

If you should drive average mileage a year and change the oil at 3-4K miles then IMHO $200-$300 dollars a year is cheap insurance should any problems develope.

Some here may disagree, but I would rather pay for it while under warranty then fight over a claim should something go wrong. Receipts are fine but you have to keep super records and make sure the oil and filter meet OEM spec.

GMC ;)

mdrag
09-14-2002, 19:25
DmaxFoxfire,

Here is a link for the Racor fuel filters for the Dmax @ $17.13 each plus S/H, even less if you buy 5 or more:

www.dieselpage.com/racredu.htm

Many forum members have purchased these fuel filters - including me - and no problems at all.

The Racor is identical to the OEM fuel filter except for the graphics on the case. More Power has a very thorough article in the Member's Area on installing the fuel filter on the Dmax.

Good luck :D

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

MudNurI
09-14-2002, 20:02
I paid $46.54 for my fuel filter, the total bill was just under $70.00....... this was including the labor charge while diagnosing my limp mode..

We also get our LOF done at dealers every 7,000 miles, to the tune of $180.00. full synthetic Delvac......5 changes to date...little bit of "it was serviced regulartly at the dealership during its lifetime"...I guess. That way when I end up with a problem that they say is due to "under par filters"...it will be on them, not me.

My thought is $45,000 for the truck- 45.00 for the filter ain't gonna kill me!

Brandy

sonofagun
09-15-2002, 07:50
mdrag has it right. Order some filters and do the work yourself. It isn't hard. Read MorePowers how to and go for it. Took me about 30 minutes total. Wrote the mileage on the top of the filter so it's easy to remember when I changed it last. Dealerships make a lot of their net profits off the service department. It's easy to see why at these prices. If you can turn a wrench you just don't need to pay userous prices.

Good luck,
Bob

[ 09-15-2002: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

BobNelson
09-15-2002, 08:38
My first filter was a full meal deal by the dealer... 83... Second time, my raycor, their labor, 25.. Next time, my raycor, my time... with MP's written help...

GMC-2002-Dmax has a good point about the potential warrantee issue. I let the change my oil because of the hassel. Lube, oil, filter change is 29.95. My time is more important to me and the tech doing the work also has a D/A. He seems to do good work.

tonkater
09-16-2002, 20:12
Lube/Oil/Filter at Town and Country Chevy in Kent, CT $58.00. About $10.00 more than on my 6.2 88 ext cab that they also change.

www.dieselgettogether.com

SoCalDieselNewbie
09-17-2002, 14:46
I bought my truck from dealer that is about 200 miles from my house but I have my truck serviced at my local dealer.

I can't say enough about how good their service has been with my D-Max. They have done my rear diff, trans fluid & filter and oil changes. Always, reasonably priced.

They charge me $58 for the oil change and filter.

I do it every 3 weeks (3,000 miles) and they wash & vaccum the truck for FREE! Heck, a decent carwash around here costs anywhere from $20 - $1,000 (depending if you have a carwash do it or your kid).

Our family has always had a good business relationship with this dealer before though. We have bought a couple of vettes from them, a blazer, trans am and a suburban from them in the last couple of years.

car of the week
09-17-2002, 16:23
Socaldieselnewbie-

What dealer are you speaking of? You say you live in SoCal, so i was just curious.

Thanks, Ryan

SoCalDieselNewbie
09-17-2002, 17:27
Car of the Week...

Sierra Chevrolet in Monrovia/Duarte

TBC
09-17-2002, 20:32
Oil change prices vary considerably between dealers in the area. I took mine back to the selling dealer for LOF and he charged me $66.37 and the place closest to my home charges $49.95. Just have to check prices.

letsgo
09-19-2002, 05:46
Come to Canada for your fuel filter $110 EACH or order them from DIS. 5 FOR $15 EACH.

TDIwyse
09-19-2002, 05:58
In my negotiation with the dealer for my 2002HD D/A he agreed to give me my first 3 LOF's free. And for their new car customers they will also do the LOF's for the first three years for $9.95. The dealer is Jim Arenson's in Center Point, IA. I guess I did better than I thought at the time.

Kiwi1
09-19-2002, 20:46
I too got dealer shock at the first quote for a fuel filter change - $127 for the filter and 6/10s of an hour labor for a total of around $170. I didn't take the quote and ordered Racor filters at $16/ea for a box of 5. Purchased a $6.50 extended reach strap filter remover and have changed all fuel filters myself. Not a wisp of trouble and the change takes me less than the dealer 6/10s of an hour. Do the same with oil changes, using Delco PF2232 filters at $11/ea and Shell Rotella 15-40 oil. The $$ savings is nice but the service getting done right is more important and I couldn't be happier. Incidently, I found the fuel filter info on this bulletin board and am most grateful for all the feedback offered on any topic.