PDA

View Full Version : Duramax fuel cooler

cabdoors
09-10-2002, 11:01
Do the 2003's 6600 have a fuel cooler?
I am brand new to this and am thinking about a new Duramax. I read somewhere that there is a fuel cooler but I don't remember which model year.
This is my first post.
thanks

BLUMAX
09-10-2002, 11:42
First off welcome "cabdoors" I'm sure others will chime in on this but the only fuel cooler I know of is a little raditor looking thing in front of the fuel tank. Kneel down on the drivers side, front edge of the box and you'll see the tank with the cooler in front of it. Second, quit thinkin' and go get it!! You'll be in love from the first drive and develope that famous "DMAX Grin". After 7 months and 10,000 miles I'm still impressed. You'll get lots of geat info from our fellow members, so enjoy the site, and go buy that truck :D

Merconvert
09-10-2002, 20:23
Hey Guys, if you run dirt or dusty Roads,blow the Fuel Cooler out now and then . Makes for better running.

2001 Dmax crew 3500 stock.

deerhunter7
09-11-2002, 12:30
Merconvert Thanks for the pointer. One more thing to remember to check... ;)

Allison Jettester
09-11-2002, 13:12
Welcome to the forum, Cabdoors. I do believe that the cooler in front of the tank is an engine oil cooler. It is mounted there to warm the diesel. Diesel doesn't like cold.

Joe

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
09-11-2002, 13:22
My 2003 has the little radiator in front of the fuel tank, so yes to 2003 Fuel Coolers smile.gif

2K2AD
09-11-2002, 15:53
I was under the impression the little radiator in front of the fuel tank was the injector computer. The fuel runs through it to cool it and the fins help dissapate heat the old fashioned way. My 2K2 has this assembly, maybe what you guys are referring to is in addition to it.

Kevin

Idle_Chatter
09-11-2002, 19:05
Nope, the injection computer is up on the engine and fuel is run around it there to remove heat. The return fuel then goes back down along the DS frame rail and up through that fuel cooler "radiator" before going back to the the tank. That's one reason for the admonition about running the tank too low. All the return heat from the ECM isn't mixed with enough cooler fuel in the tank and the fuel going forward is getting hotter and may not cool the ECM enough. When I plumbed in my aux tank, it came with a quick-connect tool to snap into that fuel cooler so that returning fuel goes through the cooler and then to the "in service" tank (OEM or aux). As one who spent a bit of time up under there futzing around with the plumbing, I can tell you that it is just a tube & fin cooler. And it's not oil, Jettster, it's fuel - and the return flow of warm fuel *and* the heat added to it by the ECM take care of that "cold diesel syndrome" you're referring to.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: Idle_Chatter ]</p>